• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Lawn tractors

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Ok, I'll admit that I know very little about riding lawn tractors. That said, with the prospect of us buying a bigger property with a six acres, I figure about 2 of those are cleared and grassed. I have a smaller craftsman but know that just won't cut it (no pun intended). What would be a preferred riding lawnmower that would easily handle a bigger property? I don't mind doing the work but don't want to be there all day mowing either.

Canadian eh!!!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
If I was mowing two acres I would want a Cub Cadet Z Force LX with a 60 inch deck. Gonna cost you some coin, but you said you didn't want to spend all day mowing (who does?) Gonna set you back over 5 grand with that 24 HP Kawasaki engine, full welded frame and the triple coated deck.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For mowing only I'd buy a Zero Turn mower. They will get the job done effortlessly in the least time. I do 3.5 to 4 acres in 1:50 mins.

With six acres you will be working other parts of your land and have other chores besides mowing, in that case I'd get a Kubota BX with a belly mower and a front in loader. The FEL will save your back and be used in so many ways you cannot even imagine right now. Kubota has done me well so I prefer them, but there a a lot of other brands for you to check out. I only know Kubota and I am prejudiced ...and I admit it.

Tractor shopping is fun. Sit in a lot of seats. Talk to the dealers and play with all the options on their lot. Buy the one that fits you best and one where you feel comfortable with the dealer. When I was buying some wise folks gave me that exact advice and it served me well. So I'm passing it along.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
For mowing only I'd buy a Zero Turn mower. They will get the job done effortlessly in the least time. I do 3.5 to 4 acres in 1:50 mins.

With six acres you will be working other parts of your land and have other chores besides mowing, in that case I'd get a Kubota BX with a belly mower and a front in loader. The FEL will save your back and be used in so many ways you cannot even imagine right now. Kubota has done me well so I prefer them, but there a a lot of other brands for you to check out. I only know Kubota and I am prejudiced ...and I admit it.

Tractor shopping is fun. Sit in a lot of seats. Talk to the dealers and play with all the options on their lot. Buy the one that fits you best and one where you feel comfortable with the dealer. When I was buying some wise folks gave me that exact advice and it served me well. So I'm passing it along.

Good point Doc!! With six acres he may be doing other things beside a Zero Turn. Like gardening and snow removal on that driveway, maybe?

OK, forget the 5 grand Brian. You're gonna be spending a few more bucks then that. In the tractor department, listen to Doc. It's Kubota BX, but in the end it is your money, your decision even with a picture of the queen on it. :yum::yum:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Another vote for a ZERO (or in my case a near-zero) TURN mower if all you are doing is mowing.

You may want to look at VENTRAC tractors as they are good mowing machines and offer some attachments like front end loaders. Ventrac tractors lean more heavily toward FAST mowing and lighter landscaping + yard work with front mounted attachments. If STEINER is still in business that is another option worthy of considering for a very good mowing machine with light landscaping capabilities. Both have front mount snow blowers.

A real tractor like a Kubota BX series is a damn fine machine. In fact probably best of that class of machine, but a far slower mower than either a Zero Turn or a Ventrac. This type of machine is going to be a decent mower and will easily do most landscaping chores, driveway maintenance, etc to maintain 2 groomed acres. It will also allow you to expand the yard if desired.

It's all about balance and what jobs you think will need what tools.

Don't forget you can often RENT a machine for occasional heavy work too.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I like the idea of renting a machine when needed and having a zero radius mower. There's an old tractor there now with a triple head front mower attachment. We threw it in our offer but aren't holding our breath on that as the current owner of the property wants to keep it for their camp.

Just for reference, here's the property overhead shot.
e2eb6412d4816dd27aea33ab2724f121.jpg

Canadian eh!!!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I like the idea of renting a machine when needed and having a zero radius mower. There's an old tractor there now with a triple head front mower attachment. We threw it in our offer but aren't holding our breath on that as the current owner of the property wants to keep it for their camp.

Just for reference, here's the property overhead shot.
e2eb6412d4816dd27aea33ab2724f121.jpg

Canadian eh!!!
Based on this picture,,, go with Doc's suggestion. You are gonna need a tractor that can mow. But e ability to tow logs, move and blade gravel is paramount.
With your health issues brute muscle is limited ,,,,; get the equipment that will do the hard work.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Change of plans. Slightly. Lol. They are leaving the mower tractor so that'll do for now. But I will be looking at a small kubota or similar tractor.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
We're probably going back on Thursday to see the house again. I'm hoping to take a better look at the tractor.

Canadian eh!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Take pics of the tractor too. Someone here might know a little about it.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, I'd like to see the make and model of the tractor. Judging by the overhead pic someone must be able to mow around all the trees in the lower part of the pic, or else it's done with a push mower and/or weed eater. If it's a tractor w/ PTO and 3 point hitch it will accept attachments to help do the heavy work.
Mike

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Free is good. You can do 2 acres on a 22HP riding mower. You get what you pay for so the better the brand the better the tractor (usually).

Zero turns are nice if everything is flat. Ventrac are awesome - but expensive.

A little Kubota would be nice. There are some good competitors that are a little less than Kubota and Deere. If they have Mahindra in Canada you may want to look at them - I've been happy with mine. Tractors are a lot more than a riding mower though but if you have 6 acres you will want a tractor. Buy once cry once.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian ...FYI this forum was started up by a core group of folks that were active on a tractor forum ...so we do have quite a bit of tractor expertise / knowledge here. :D :clap:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
my crippled wife mows 2 acres and bags it with her tractor jd mower. almost replaced it with a kabota this year but no experience with them.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm anxious to get out there to take a closer look at the tractor that's there. We put it in the agreement as an afterthought just to get us going until I can find something else. It's an older unit not in the best shape. But apparently it runs. I also have my grandpas old craftsman which has around a 30" deck I believe. It will be used in the tighter spots around trees.

Canadian eh!!!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You're going to need some seat time in it. Many of those smaller lawn or garden tractors (especially the older ones) are brutal on the body as they may not have suspension seats and the older ones can be hard to steer and hard to press brake and clutch.

Being slow by today's standards, you're going to be in the seat a lot. I found myself hurting after mowing for several hours. What used to take me 4 hours with a garden tractor and 48" deck now takes me about an hour with a ZTR and the ZTR is a significantly better ride.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes. I plan on getting my two teenage boys out running both mowers. We'll be shopping for a newer one but for now this will do. We are heading out tomorrow to see the property again. I will take some pictures of the tractor but for now, I zoomed in on the only picture I have of it.
edeb35f023931c4ca86606166c613d62.jpg

Canadian eh!!!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I guess we could take a guessing game on what you have there until you get us details.

It doesn't seem to have headlights but if that's a logo on the top/center of the grill, I'm going to guess it's a Toro Wheel Horse 260 series. ;)

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Although, if your kids are old/young enough. Get a couple of riding mowers and send them out. It's worked for me for the last couple of years. I'll be sad in 2-3 years when they are both off to college.

This is by far the best way to get your lawn mowed.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Although, if your kids are old/young enough. Get a couple of riding mowers and send them out. It's worked for me for the last couple of years. I'll be sad in 2-3 years when they are both off to college.

This is by far the best way to get your lawn mowed.
Yep. I was planning on putting the 14 and 15 year old to work with both mowers.

Canadian eh!!!

Bamby

Give any equipment a good once over before you part with your money. A vast amount of the stuff being sold today is throw away.. Their isn't a grease fitting to be found and with any kind of equipment a grease gun will vastly expend the useful life of and machine. Deck spindle bearing for instance should be hit with a shot of grease every mowing..

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It hasn't been brought up yet but what piece of equipment are you doing to use for plowing snow? The tractor you pictured, even if it has a plow, won't push more than a few inches.

Bamby

Most deck spindles have no grease zerk.
Mike

Have two in the garage that do. Ones an older Cub and the other is a Kubota and I've seen others. You likely wouldn't find them on the cheapened sub par versions sold at the big box stores.

Bamby

It hasn't been brought up yet but what piece of equipment are you doing to use for plowing snow? The tractor you pictured, even if it has a plow, won't push more than a few inches.

Plus a box blade for driveway maintenance.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm on the lookout for a plow truck.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a line on a decent plow truck. But more on that later. We just got home from the house. The owner happened to be there loading up stuff from the garage. Here's the deal on the lawn tractor. It's a Jacobson turfcat with a kubota diesel engine. Hydraulic mower attachment.
130117b62f0e9be35be0019c3ca6c382.jpg

Canadian eh!!!

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a line on a decent plow truck. But more on that later. We just got home from the house. The owner happened to be there loading up stuff from the garage. Here's the deal on the lawn tractor. It's a Jacobson turfcat with a kubota diesel engine. Hydraulic mower attachment.
130117b62f0e9be35be0019c3ca6c382.jpg

Canadian eh!!!

That should be a very decent mower! Hope it’s in good condition.

Jim