• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SW48 - Ford 300 cu in engine

donald73d

I am trying to get my SW48 working. I bought it a few years ago and then got busy with other things. The first thing I need to know is the firing order and where is cylinder 1 on the distributor cap.

For a regular Ford 300 cu inch engine cylinder 1 is at 5:00 on the cap and the order is 1-5-3-6-2-4.

Is the Ford 300 cu inch engine the same? Given that the engine points backwards in the SW48 rather than forward in a truck, maybe the engine does not rotate in the same direction as it would in a truck.

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
Firing order is correct, 1-5-3-6-2-4. The Ford 300 in the SW48 is an industrial version, beafier block, forged vs cast.

I’m not sure on the #1 cylinder position, but I know it’s 6 degrees before TDC for timing at 600 Rpm.

Bob

snowcatt

Engines all turn the same direction. See which way the distributor turns .get #1 up tdc on compression stroke That # 1 then place the wire in the proper order

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
wrong not all engines rotate the same way, but in the case of the sw 48 the ring gear was flipped the other side to account for the engine being backwards. most reverse rotation engines can be found in boats with twin engines where the engineers wanted a counter rotating prop. reverse rotating engines will be equipped with different cam shafts but the firing order should be the same.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Detroit made a twin pack motor for large equipment that had one side counter rotating to. most engines will be clockwise rotation unless some engineer smoked to much dope and specs out a cr engine.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
your right about busses and the corvair aircooled engine was also a reverse rotation engine.