• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Educate me . . .

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
What am I looking at? An old alternator voltage regulator? Used way before my days of tinkering and haven't seen anything like it. The alternator is a three wire rebuilt this spring. Am I correct in saying if it was the old 5 wire system it would have used this regulator{?}? I haven't unwrapped all of the wiring yet, but I'm guessing that since the Alt has the three wire set-up, the wires to the regulator(?) were cut and the part just not removed from the firewall? (You'll have to flip your monitor because the stupid Apple pics won't stick upright . . .):hammer:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 248
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 238
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 242

PJL

Concur, DC generator regulator. Don't need it with the alternator. Regulator should be internal.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
you had the original generator rebuilt . i just took mine to an auto parts and got it replaced. a 37 dodge. the place that did your rebuild may have one or ebay.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very odd. 1967 machine w/ 12v system, so very unlikely it ever would have had a generator. Maybe a 5 wire alternator, but . . .

rfx

early mopar charging systems with alternators had an external regulator (like the one in the pic ) much later they went to internally regulated.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Any idea what the modern day replacement for that might be?? I can't find anything that looks like that at all since all modern stuff is internal. But no idea how to cross it from old to new w/ no numbers. May have worked, but a mouse or chipmunk thought the wire wrap on the larger resister would be tasty.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tried to edit my post before the hour was up, but missed.

The original regulator above is a VT101T. But since it's dead anyway, and the points were swapped for a Pertronix setup, going to switch it from the 'mechanical' Reg to an electronic one and maintain wiring. Going the other way would also require an alternator replacement. Since mine is fresh, this is an easy (cheap) option.