• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow cat trip

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was wondering if their would be any interest in arranging a weekend somewhere in the midwest or rockie mountain region to have a trail ride weekend or long weekend??? If their is any interest post it on this forum and we will see if we can get some people together and make it happen???:wave: :whistle:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This topic has come up a couple times and there actually is a thread that shows photos of a meeting of some members in Utah.

There is also some possibility of a Michigan meeting this year. There has also been some talk of a meeting in northern Wisconsin or the U.P. of Michigan.

The big problem seems to be we (the snowcat owners/members on the ForumsForums) are spread out from Alaska to Iceland, Sweden to New Zealand. I do think that you might get some interest in a regional meeting with a couple other memebers who might be geographically close enough to trailer their equipment to a common spot.

The ForumsForums are made up of lots of NON-snowcat owners too, some of them have also expressed interest in meeting up with snowcat owners.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For a snowcat weekend outing would snowmobiles be an unwelcomed addition?

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
It would be a interesting topic to ponder as I am new to the snowcat way of life, I own two snowmobiles also, And I enjoy them alot also I am trying to expand my horizions and keep warm in the process. Heaters are alot of fun when it is -20 outside. My main reason for a snow cat is cabin access able to travel with more than one person and to take my dogs with!!! abuility to haul more than a little trailer load of goods to the cabins is an added bonus. I know on my first trips out with my snowcat, I will have one of my sleds following just in case. It is a long walk out from the cabin..:blahblah: :blahblah I would not be against it but remember we go slow compared to a snowmobile.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd see no reason to exclude sleds. I don't own any, but they are what I grew up driving in the winter so I'd welcome those. And for any meet in moderate snow areas, I'd see no reason why guys with Kubota RTVs and Rhinos couldn't join in too. The snowcats would be the slowest, but then the idea for a meet would probably not be to have a race!

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
We own and use both snow cats, ATV's, snowshoes and snowmobiles. They each have there place. A meeting of forum members with some members with or without even snow shoes would be a great time and good fun. A winter picnic/beer run with all forum members invited would be the ultimate get together for all to enjoy. I am sure we could arrange accommodations and transportation along with fun for all. Giving snow cat rides, ATV or snowmobile rides to people that have never been on a snowmobile, ATV or in a snow cat is a hoot.:eek: They are amazed at the fun you can have in the snow. :D

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Still looking for replies on this thread. I would be interested in traveling any direction?? Black Hills SD, Denver CO, Salt Lake City ID, Bozeman MT,Anywhere??? Who has an interest in getting together ??? Heck bring your horse, pet turtle, dog, cat,(my dogs love cats), anything you can walk, ride,push, or drag?? We should prob have someone in the area that lives their to know the local trails, rules, etc. Heck if you wanted to come Here to the Big Horns in WY, I think mtntopper would even show up!!! I know he knows the area better than I do anyway.:cool2: :tiphat: :wave: well come one come all lets plan something???? PLEASE. ill even try begging.:yum:

Eric L

Site Supporter
OK, Im interested, but hadn't replied not knowing location or dates. I cannot commit yet...but I'm interested.

West side of the country works best for me.

I might would bring:
65 Tucker (or a Jeep if there wasn't any snow:mad:)
Truck (pick-up) and trailer
Jeep Cherokee (to haul wife and kids)
Wife.
3 kids, 3 to 12 years old.
2 dogs (they'd have to ride in the truck)

Eric

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Eric L said:
I might would bring:
65 Tucker (or a Jeep if there wasn't any snow:mad:)
Truck (pick-up) and trailer
Jeep Cherokee (to haul wife and kids)
Wife.
3 kids, 3 to 12 years old.
2 dogs (they'd have to ride in the truck)

Eric
I don't see any beer on that list :burp:

BTW, I'm game for a meeting in the midwest.

Teeoster

I'll be going to West Yellowstone January 21-26. Anyone is welcome to join my friends and I! We're renting mountain sleds, probably bring the IMP out there next year. West Yellowstone is truly a winter paradise! Yellowstone aside, the entire area offers spectacular mountain riding and would be a sweet place to go catting around. Does anyone know the rules of using a personal snow cat in the Park??

John

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Teeoster said:
I'll be going to West Yellowstone January 21-26. Anyone is welcome to join my friends and I! We're renting mountain sleds, probably bring the IMP out there next year. West Yellowstone is truly a winter paradise! Yellowstone aside, the entire area offers spectacular mountain riding and would be a sweet place to go catting around. Does anyone know the rules of using a personal snow cat in the Park??
John

With all of the new rules, quotas and guides now required in Yellowstone National Park, I would bet you could not buy your way into the park with a snow cat. My opinion for fun, "GO WEST" into Idaho and only stay in West Yellowstone since the accommodations and the people really do cater to snowmobilers. Out of West Yellowstone to the west in Idaho are hundreds of miles of trails and open riding areas to play in the snow.

I do not know the exact rules Idaho uses to classify snow cats. I was told that they do not allow them on the snowmobile trails. You should call or email their state trails program and ask for the rules regarding over snow vehicles.

Wyoming might be good location for a snow cat get together. All residents and non residents have to do is buy a $25.00 sticker to use them like a snowmobile.

Eric L

Site Supporter
Back in the day, when I lived in WY we spent a lot of time in the vicinity of Medicine Bow...I think its a nat. forest. back then (circa 1984) you could pretty much do whatever you wanted up there in the winter. I wouldn't mind going back there... Its about 50 miles West of Laramie. There may be accomodations around Centennial WY.

Eric

Edit: I changed the East to West

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Good Morning Mtnflopper ,
I also vote for Idaho .We are in west central Idaho . 5 hours from Boise and 3 hours from Spokane . I know we discussed this earlier this year about meeting somewhere near my place . We have hundreds of miles of Forest service roads , We have the Red River Hot Springs which have little cabins to rent ,A small motel, a couple 2 room rentals ,weekend cabins to rent, Two Cafes , Lots of beer and a general store to buy groceries . All parties can be had at my little ranch on the covered deck and there is a fire place pit to put your feet on while we discuss how a Kristi KT7 kicked ass !!! I do believe we could run the cats down the county road snow covered shoulders to our rooms .(I'll check on this )
Town is 2 miles from my place .I talked with the local steak house owner and he told me for everyone to show up at his place for a steak dinner ( medium prices ) and we can park the cats in his gravel snow covered parking lot .
Val and Carol's Cafe has the best Biscuts and Gravy anywhere and i'll stake my 300 pound ass on it !!! One pancake covers the whole 12" dinner plate . I never saw anyone who could eat two .
This area is a huge snow mobile area so all are welcome !!!ATV's too . Everyone uses there ATV to go to town so don't worry about upsetting other tracffic . Just obey the driving rules of the rode and you'll be fine .

Here is the web site to check us out .

http://web.camasnet.com/~elkcity/index.html

Let me know what you think . I am told best months are late Jan,Feb

Eric L

Site Supporter
I like Big Al's idea...

but this rock might take my Cat right off the trailer

Attachments

• Elk%20City%20Hazards_small.jpg
    Elk%20City%20Hazards_small.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 198

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, I guess begging works on you guys, I will keep that in mind. I went to ID snowmobiling few years back and I had to pay a fee for my sled anyone know how much that fee is??? I am always looking for new places to go some of them even turn out to be my new home.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Eric L said:
I like Big Al's idea...

but this rock might take my Cat right off the trailer

Oh Yes !!! That is "Hanging rock" and a war almost started over it when the State of Idaho Transportation Dept was going to blow it off .Its a landmark in our area . It is located on hwy14 at mile marker 28 as you come to Elk city . Clearance is about 14 feet but just swing wide to make sure everything clears .At mile marker 23 keep your eyes open for Mountain Goats on the almost sheer cliffs . Look for the little white spots that move .

I believe a "off road sticker" runs $10

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Hate to be a party pooper, but if we are to have a get together of snow cats we must know if it is legal in the state we select. I have looked up the rules/laws for Idaho and have some serious concerns where snow cats can be utilized. It appears to me we would be limited to private property and not allowed on any snowmobile trails which include forest service roads marked as snowmobile trails in the winter time and administered by the state trails program.

http://www.atvidaho.info/regulations.php#define

Some clips from the state of Idaho laws below:

(14) "Snowmobile" means any self-propelled vehicle under one thousand (1,000) pounds unladened gross weight, designed primarily for travel on snow or ice or over natural terrain, which may be steered by tracks, skis, or runners, and which is not otherwise registered or licensed under the laws of the state of Idaho.

(1) "All-terrain vehicle (ATV)" means any recreation vehicle with three (3) or more tires, under eight hundred fifty (850) pounds and forty-eight (48) inches or less in width, having a wheelbase of sixty-one (61) inches or less, traveling on low-pressure tires of ten (10) psi or less.

67-7112. GROOMED SNOWMOBILE TRAILS. Any all terrain vehicle operating on groomed snowmobile trails during the winter snowmobiling season when the trails are groomed shall be registered as a snowmobile under the provisions of section 67-7103, Idaho Code. Counties shall have the option to allow all terrain vehicles, if registered, to use snowmobile trails in the county.

The state of Idaho has effectively outlawed the use of snow cats in most all applications and areas outside of private lands as I have been told by Idaho residents in the past. We need to go where we are going to be legal and welcome. Sorry Bigal.......

Teeoster

Its too bad that we have to worry so much about all the "rules" I generally go by the theory of it being easier to ask for forgivness than ask for permission:) This especially being the case if no heavy drinking is involved:burp:

Teeoster

So who knows the rules in Montana?? Lots of trails just north of West Yellowstone. Last time I was out there we rented several old trapper cabins from the Gallitin National Forest and made an adventure of riding out to them and staying the night! It was soooo sweet staying 20 miles from the next closest outpost in the middle of a Rocky Mountan Winter!:thumb:

John

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
mtntopper said:
Hate to be a party pooper, but if we are to have a get together of snow cats we must know if it is legal in the state we select. I have looked up the rules/laws for Idaho and have some serious concerns where snow cats can be utilized. It appears to me we would be limited to private property and not allowed on any snowmobile trails which include forest service roads marked as snowmobile trails in the winter time and administered by the state trails program.

http://www.atvidaho.info/regulations.php#define

Some clips from the state of Idaho laws below:

(14) "Snowmobile" means any self-propelled vehicle under one thousand (1,000) pounds unladened gross weight, designed primarily for travel on snow or ice or over natural terrain, which may be steered by tracks, skis, or runners, and which is not otherwise registered or licensed under the laws of the state of Idaho.

(1) "All-terrain vehicle (ATV)" means any recreation vehicle with three (3) or more tires, under eight hundred fifty (850) pounds and forty-eight (48) inches or less in width, having a wheelbase of sixty-one (61) inches or less, traveling on low-pressure tires of ten (10) psi or less.

67-7112. GROOMED SNOWMOBILE TRAILS. Any all terrain vehicle operating on groomed snowmobile trails during the winter snowmobiling season when the trails are groomed shall be registered as a snowmobile under the provisions of section 67-7103, Idaho Code. Counties shall have the option to allow all terrain vehicles, if registered, to use snowmobile trails in the county.

The state of Idaho has effectively outlawed the use of snow cats in most all applications and areas outside of private lands as I have been told by Idaho residents in the past. We need to go where we are going to be legal and welcome. Sorry Bigal.......

No Offense taken Bill ,

You bring up some good points .I'll see what I can find out from the local forest service . We have hundreds of miles of forest service roads that are not plowed and are not designated as snowmobile only . The Montana Road is one of them . It goes through the Selway Bitteroot Wilderness area . Maybe they are just being extra nice to me since I signed my Cat up for Search and Rescue Operations in Idaho County . I'll be going back up for Thanksgiving and will swing by the local forest service headquarters and the Sheriff's office to get their input on this . I can't see how they can stop us from using U.S. Forest Service Roads just because they are now snowbound :confused2:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
The county may be able to issue a temporary exemption to the state rules that would allow limited snow cat usage. The problems occurs if the state and county are not in agreement and then the user becomes the scapegoat and subject to a fine from one or both. From my looking at Idaho and living in north Idaho for 6 years, there is a lot of disagreement between the counties and state on the snowmobile trails program. :confused2: The state collects the snowmobile fees and turns them back to the counties for the trails programs. The state can withhold the funds until the county follows the state rules which effectively eliminate the use of a snow cat on snowmobile trails. The forest service usually defers and enforces the state regulations in the state the national forest is located within, even though the federal register rules and snowmobile definition does not include the weight and width limitations imposed by Idaho
:(
Does not seem very reasonable to have so many different interruptions and ways to make outlaws out of normally law abiding people. Just my take on the situation.....:mad: :( :eek: :confused2:
Bill

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
BigAl, you will also probably find that most national forest service secondary roads are closed to wheel vehicles and only open to the state definition of "snowmobile" or "ATV" from approximately 11-15 to 4-15 of most years. We are seeing the barricades going up and the signs being posted in many areas. Another way for "big brother to protect us from our own stupidity".
It will not be long until the ban even hits the snowmobiles and they will have to stay on only "marked and designated snowmobile trails" in all of the national forests. "Guides" as in Yellowstone will be required as we are too stupid to be responsible for our own actions.......
:eek: :confused2: :mad: :(
Bill (now really pissed off the more I think about this)

Eric L

Site Supporter
BigAl said:
I'll be going back up for Thanksgiving and will swing by the local forest service headquarters and the Sheriff's office to get their input on this . I can't see how they can stop us from using U.S. Forest Service Roads just because they are now snowbound :confused2:

I agree that this would be a good step..

I would think that any enforcement would be minimal anyway due to acess issues, but we certainly don't want to be the bad guys here, and a convoy of cats would draw more attention than just one or two local guys.

Eric

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Eric L said:
I agree that this would be a good step..

I would think that any enforcement would be minimal anyway due to acess issues, but we certainly don't want to be the bad guys here, and a convoy of cats would draw more attention than just one or two local guys.

Eric

Yes I agree ! Since I live here, I do not want to piss off the local enforcement officers .
Bill has brought up some important issues that I want anwsers to . I do not have my Cat up and running yet but I never assumed that I could not run it down the Forest Roads ,when it is completed . Three of the major areas I would be going too have no gates on the roads and the local sheriff was very interested in riding in my Cat and learning to drive it . He has even offered police Radio's, decals, and light bar for it since it will be used in Search and Rescue Operations . We talked in depth about going into back country areas . He has wanted to add a Snow Cat for a long time to his department but with me offering to train a deputy to use mine ,I have saved him a lot of budget money .
I do know for a fact that there is one high country lake that is snow bound and loaded with fish that everyone drives to bust through too in early spring .
Maybe I can become a Reserve Sheriffs Officer again and I will authorize you guys for a demo rescue operation with the sheriff present .:a1: .I will see if I can get little plastic chrome badges that say "Junior Police Officer" on them . I know that "Bogus Bob" would wear his all the time . He has wanted to be sheriff of this outfit for a long time :2gunsfiri :yum: .:moon: Maybe with luck I can get him the matching hat too:tiphat: .:yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Al I noticed that you have been offered police radios, that brings up a question that I've wondered about . . . who has a CB radio in their snowcat? Or, if not a CB, do you have some other sort of radio installed for communicaitons?

Eric L

Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Al I noticed that you have been offered police radios, that brings up a question that I've wondered about . . . who has a CB radio in their snowcat? Or, if not a CB, do you have some other sort of radio installed for communicaitons?

I intend to install VHF radio equipment in my cat. I purchased a pair of handhelds recently on e-bay and I'm thinkin' that they're a POS... no wonder they were cheap. I sold my old mobile rig some time ago and I'm shopping for new (or at least new to me).

I don't know much about radio and CBs, but for under 500 bux a guy could set up a VHF in a cat that will outperform any CB i've ever seen. these can also be setup with intercoms easily. I dont know if thats an option with a CB.

Problem...you cant talk to just anybody. I would have mine with some freq.s that are used by local agencies or companies so I could call for help, as well as my own "personal freq.

you're supposed to have a license to operate VHF/UHF/HAM but there seems to be little regulation.:hide:

:snow_smi:
Eric

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
BigAl, go with the local SO's offer since most emergency vehicles are exempted from the state regulations and laws.

I have also volunteered my snow cats to the local emergency agencies if they have a need, but I or someone I trust will do all of the driving and snow cat operating.

who has a CB radio in their snowcat? Or, if not a CB, do you have some other sort of radio installed for communications?

Your best bet for safety is to go no further than you are prepared to walk out. A satellite cell phone is the most effective communication tool in the mountain areas. Does anyone want to foot the bill for a satellite phone for me or do I just keep the snowshoes ready? :hide:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:

Bob,

I have a telephone but keep catching the phone cord on trees and tearing it off . I don't think i will use it anymore . Trying to rewind 10 miles of phone cord is a pain !:yum: :yum: :5boobs: :hide: