• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Imp Manual & C-4 Gear Ratios

cloudcap

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a clean scan of a Thiokol 1404 manual that I received from Bill Guthrie @ www.snotrans.com when I purchased my new (to me) Imp. The content is very similar to the manual on www.goldcordmine.com/manuals, but this version is a little better image quality and is all in a single PDF (i.e., much easier to navigate). Any thoughts on how to upload it to the Forum? It is well below the size limit for PDFs (only 1 MB vs. the max size of 4.77 MB), but I get an error message every time I try to upload it.

I've been muddling my way through the myriad of gearing options in an Imp and can now (more or less) get it down the road and up a hill, but the engineer in me would like to reduce the whole mess to a set of numbers. Accordingly I've been looking for gear ratios for the transmission and transaxle. I've found that the Imp appears to be running a Borg-Warner T-96 transmission with ratios of: 1st (2.61), 2nd (1.63), 3rd (1.00), and Reverse (3.54). The transaxle appears to be a Clark C-4, but I've found bupkis on gear ratios. Is anyone in a position to confirm the T-96 ratios and/or speculate on the C-4?

Finally, attached is a gratuitous photo of Bill watching an inexperience operator crash an Imp onto the back of a trailer. This has virtually nothing to do with this thread, but if I've learned anything from reading the Forum for a few years it is that every post needs a photo.

Thanks

Ron

Attachments

• snotrans.jpg
    snotrans.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 538

rodre

Cloudcap, did you ever confirm it was a T-96 front transmission in the 1404? If so what else were these used in?

Oh, and anyway you can shoot me a copy of that manual?

Snowcat Pat

Here's a pic of the Imp three speed trans.
-Pat

Attachments

• 3 speed transmission 1404_Imp.jpg
    3 speed transmission 1404_Imp.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 197

rodre

Thanks for settling that, how hard was that to get out? Is there a service manual for the T96 kicking around?