• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

VW ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER LOCATION

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Here are a couple of pictures of the serial number location on a aircooled VW engine. Usually you need a tooth brush, degreaser and a clean rag to clean off and see the numbers. Its right below the front of the base of the alternator or generator stand. On the stand itself is the firing order. Below that on the engine block is the serial number.

Attachments

• DSCF0001 16.JPG
    DSCF0001 16.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 9,669
  • DSCF0002 16.JPG
    DSCF0002 16.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 6,796

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pictured is a REAL 126, VW industrial. If it was a Bug or Bus motor it would usually have a letter designator or even 2 letters before the number. See John Muir's How to fix your volkswagen for the Complete Idiot(Reffered to as the "Idiot Book") for engine identification if it DOESN'T have 126 prefix.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Right about here, you say?

Attachments

• Serial Number Location.JPG
    Serial Number Location.JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 7,409

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes. That's a 1500. If it was a 1300 it would have an F. Some early 40 HP and 36 HP have no letter prefix. From about 1960 on thru the end of production they have the letters, except Industrial Motors.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
This engine code (just an H) is not in Muirs book. What's different about it that it didn't make the book?

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
Here are a couple of pictures of the serial number location on a aircooled VW engine. Usually you need a tooth brush, degreaser and a clean rag to clean off and see the numbers. Its right below the front of the base of the alternator or generator stand. On the stand itself is the firing order. Below that on the engine block is the serial number.

Hey, are those Snow-Trac recovery straps draped over that engine?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
No that strap was for when BigAl was going to take his Kristi up into the mountains. I took it out as a backup to my dedicated KRISTI RECOVERY STRAP. But as you know his Kristi never made it out of the driveway. So I got lazy and didnt roll it back up. BUT I did keep it handy just incase his KRISTI ever got onto the trailer. It didnt.