• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Homemade snowcat?

java230

I have been thinking about doing this for years. A small homemade snowcat. Ideally: Carry, 3, be deep ish snow capable, and easily trailered. Likely using snowmobile tracks, two spliced lengthwise, maybe 1.5 each side? (it sounds trackster like now describing it)

Im digging back into it again....

Need some input on drive axles.
I have seen one built with a hydrostatic drive out of a ride on lawn mover. I cant see that lasting very long, thoughts there?

Full hydo would be cool, but gets costly and complex for a garage build.

Solid axle from a car/truck. I'm thinking this will be easiest, but how long will a standard automotive diff hold up to brake steering? RX& or samurai axles seem to be the lightest skinniest I can find. Open for input here too!

Steel tube frame, leaf spring idlers ala Thiokol, and drive system, straightforward in theory. geo metro 3 cyl or a whole cushman interceptor rear end may work as power plants (cushman diff could possibly be used). If I keep it VERY small I have a honda 13 hp, but that would likely need to be very small lightweight single rider at best.

Any pointers or builds anyone can point me too? Not finding much.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
this is a come and go fancy of mine as well.

the concept is pretty straight forward. the builds vary. there is a user her in germany building his own quad track.

I think the topic is worth its own area as it seems there are quite a few home made rigs on tracks out there. I google and search u tube for videos.

There also was a modified 2100 thiokol where the builder installed disc brakes onto the snow cat rear end.

My person design is a thru the snow pulling machine. four tracks. heavy ect...

java230

Ah Stienz, I hope he gets it finished soon. But im looking lighter than what he is going for, and have far less cool tools.

I have seen lots of you tube/google, but no real builds or completed projects. The one with the red cab on Hagglund tracks is about as close as I have found.

My original thought was build something like this, but kids and wives cant come along very easy, and I dont think it would do great in deep snow.

714b05139f5f.jpg

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
some of the larger units go to over 200 ft/lbs. I expect the engine on some of these are in the 25 - 30 hp range.

the little one (150 ft/lb)says 18-22 hp.

at some point you are going to go over what a single 1/2" belt can do. what I think you would want is a double pulley on the engine so each side has it's own belt.

I like surplus center, it's given me many ideas for the home brew projects.
CT

Last edited:

Nojeeep

Great lead on "Surplus Center"! Thanks!! wiper motors, right angle drives, etc. I have been looking all over for this stuff. Home fab paradise. Cheap too.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Great lead on "Surplus Center"! Thanks!! wiper motors, right angle drives, etc. I have been looking all over for this stuff. Home fab paradise. Cheap too.

Tell them where you got the info, perhaps they will contribute to the forums.
CT

java230

JimVT, thanks! Thats a nice looking machine! Full hydro though, I'm not sure I have the skills for that yet. I was looking ay walk behind mowers that are hyrdo powered, not sure if the motors would have enough torque though, and top out at about 12mph

The Jamboree thread has reminded me..... I wonder if that Thiokol still for sale at the rafting place in leavenworth.....

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
someone had a zero turn mower with tracks on here that was for sale.
can't remember who.
jim vt

I was reading about u wanting to build---go for it---thought I would pass this along----I built a twin track beer cooler---I built it hyd. stat. drive---here is what I run in to----my tracks r a snowmobile track cut up the center----I used snowmobile drive cogs----with the smaller dia. than the wheels would be it slowed it down----iam even over driving the hyd. pump----the one thing is if the tracks will grab it will climb it-----

Attachments

• new tractor old tractor burger boy 104.jpg
    new tractor old tractor burger boy 104.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 1,599
  • new tractor old tractor burger boy 105.jpg
    new tractor old tractor burger boy 105.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 1,527

java230

Very cool!! Have a built thread somewhere? That's basically what I had envisioned with a full track either side. Ive got the back half of a ski doo summit behind my garage already, just need another.....

What are you powering it with?

I drive the beer cooler with a 12 hp vert. shaft---the motor is in the rear--I have a panel in the cooler so half is still the cooler and the other half covers the motor----the way I built it I can change the looks ---I might build brackets for a saddle or put a bar stool on it----here is a pic of my sno chopper I built----its not a modified motor cycle---all hand built---its a bitch getting seat /handle bars/foot pegs in a comfy spot---well trying to build around the motor and clutches--- way harder than I thought

Attachments

• sno chopper-new fairing 001.jpg
    sno chopper-new fairing 001.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,448
  • sno chopper-new fairing 002.jpg
    sno chopper-new fairing 002.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,448
  • sno chopper-new fairing 004.jpg
    sno chopper-new fairing 004.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,641
  • 084.jpg
    084.jpg