• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Do you turn down your furnace?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
In another thread, members mentioned turning down the thermostat at night.

Do you do it and if so, how much do you turn it down?

Personally, I don't. With heat-pump and electric strip heat, I found that if I turn it down more than a degree or 2, it almost forces the strip heat to come on and actually costs more (and uses more electric) than leaving it at the same temp all the time.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
With my fancy new Heat Pumps, I got new GE programmable thermostats. They seem to do a good job of coming on without turning on the heat strips. The installer mentioned that they had logic that stored the average heat-up time and would cycle up appropriately to ensure the heat was at the desired setting at the specified time.

So yes, the house goes down to 62 at night. The upstairs of the house is at 62 most of the day except for a few hours in the morning and the evening. Otherwise, the house is set to 68.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No fancy heat pump, but I do have a programmable thermostat.

64 during the day, back up to 70 in mid-afternoon. Down to 68 at night.

70 during the weekend days. Down to 68 at night.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
We use wood heat with propane furnaces as a back up for times when we are away from home for a few days. We regulate our temp by opening windows and close them as the temp drops and more heat is required. No program is available for this temperature control system. Bedroom doors are closed at night and windows are open for cooler air in the bedrooms than the rest of the house which stays at about 75F 24/7. Our propane costs normally do not exceed the cost of 300 gallons which is our average yearly usage for propane. We go through about 5 cords of firewood each winter.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I used to set the thermostats for lower temps during the night, during the day when we weren't home, etc., etc., but since we had the new furnaces installed last year, I've just let them run at a constant temp of 68° all the time. We used to keep the house at 72° but to help cut greenhouse gas emissions and to reduce our carbon footprint we reduced it this year. :whistling: Actually, it had more to do with cutting the electric utility bill. So, instead of sitting around in T-shirt and shorts all winter we've started wearing sweats around the house. It hasn't been a hardship and it's saved a few dollars. Besides the dogs don't mind the cooler temps. They actually seem to like it.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
We have a programable 68day 60 night in the winter, but generally have it on manual or temporary manual (running at the manual setting and automatically kicks back to auto on the next time setting) because our bedtime get's messed up, or a good west wind makes it feel cold, etc...

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
66 night and day except for when we come home in the evening. We turn it up to about 68 for an hour and then set it back to 66.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
No fancy heat pump, but I do have a programmable thermostat.

64 during the day, back up to 70 in mid-afternoon. Down to 68 at night.

70 during the weekend days. Down to 68 at night.

Thats the same as us

Or for the undereducated what we do before settling down in cave we throw on Log so fire burns all night:yum::yum::yum:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I keep it at around 74 during the day, and yes.. turn it down to 70 at night.

OMG! Do you keep a bucket of water to throw on the rocks to make steam. too? :doh:

66° on the thermostat in the winter and 78° for the AC in the summer.

When the fireplace is cookin' sometimes it get up to 80° in the main part of the house.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Gas furnace with programmable thermostat. Set to crank up to 68F for an hour in the morning (get up time) and then again for an hour in the late evening (go to bed time), 50F the rest of the day/night. Also set to come up to 68F a bit later and a bit longer for the weekends.

PG, we'll see if we can generate a bit more heat when you come over... :brows:

Deerlope

I have an outdoor wood boiler and we do turn down about 2 degrees at night. We have our own wood supply so we heat our water and my woodworking shop and garage.

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
We drop ours to about 60 at night and raise it up to 68 in the morning. We open the blinds on the south side of the house and let the sun warm the house. It generally gets into the 70s inside by afternoon, except on those rare days the sun doesn't shine. We heat with propane, usually about 200 gallons per year.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Furnace kicks on at 5:30 AM during the week to bring the house up to 68 until 8 AM, then 62 until 5PM. 68 from 5-10, then 62 at night - even so, between good insulation and solar gain from S facing windows, it rarely falls below 65. Weekend schedule is 68 from 7:00AM-10:00PM, 62 10-7.
Haven't lived here in the summer yet, but will likely set it around 80 from 6AM-4PM, 75 from 4-10, and maybe a few degrees cooler from 10-6 for better sleeping comfort. Or maybe not - it's possible the ceiling fans will keep us comfy, too.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
My settings are on at 68 from 5:45 AM to 7:30 AM, down to 50 until 4:30 PM then 68 until 9:30PM then back to 50.

My forced hot air system will warm the house up in 20 to 30 mins.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Even though I have a programable T-stat , I've never bothered to do it .
The heat is set at 58 and never comes on unless We're out of town .
Nothing like having a good wood stove ! It's 78 inside right now .

Kwiens

I've programmed our thermostat to be at 67 during the day and 65 @ night. The HVAC installer suggested to leave it the same temperature day or night. My wife works a varied schedule including weekends so I haven't lowered the temps during the 8 - 5 work time slot. I have set our fan to run continously @ 38%. It keeps the cold spots out.

K

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Well, my furnace decided to give it up on the coldest spell of winter. I went to TSC and bought 3 of those 1500 watt little fan heaters. They are keeping my house at 70 even when it got 10 below last night. I hate to think what they are gonna cost me to heat the house, but after almost 2 years of no work i don't happen to have $1200.00 this week for a new furnace.