• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mid West Sno(w) cat Clowder 2018 Feb 1-4

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I figured the event needs a home.

The 2018 event is On for the first Thursday, Friday, Saturday in February.

2/1 trail rides in the wilds of the Upper peninsula of MI.
2/2 Trail rides in the outback
2/3 The show, shine and Games at Big Powder Horn
2/4 is usually a travel day but.......

Lets get some content dropped in here and pitch your ideas for improvements.

Snow is flying, temps are dropping, Grease those rollers and get ready for a SUPER time......:ermm:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bump,

A tow fund is under consideration.

Swag is being designed.

Sponsor phone calls are being returned.

Marketing venues being explored.

On a serious note, there is snow falling and movement plans executed.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was in Marquette recently, they have less than a foot, KT-4 was saying that much more to the west.

I am aware of a couple ski hills opening up runs.

Its unusually warm today. but that leaves as fast as I plan an outdoor chore....

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the snow is continuing to arrive a bit early.

rumors of a scouting party 1/20/18 if you want to shake down a project, or just get some hours.

As far as NEW, between storm damage and gobbs of snow, the wilds of the Upper Peninsula shall never disappoint.

shaping up to be a SUPER event....

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
hey, Professor Gizmosqwrl,

looks like, finally, and really good sign, they are skiing at Big Powerhorn, sno-catting season can not be far behind.

Last edited:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It is true.

the Key this year as opposed to past seasons is the sub zeero weather of early november. this event established some frost in the ground quickly after an unusually wet and cold summer..

If the current pace of snow keeps up, I will be able to park the snow trac and touch the "Do Not Park here Ever" Sign outside the ____________ (can't rememeber the name) trailside eating establishment.
FWIW that sign is way up the pole in summer...........

Also:
It was suggested *by a tucker owner* via text, we consider an alternative site just in case the snow keeps coming......

Just throwing that out there to quell the concerns of insufficient snow..... Hopefully those years are behind us.

at clowders 1,2 the snow conditions were normal. and a Mrs sqwrl Said "hold it, I want a photo this is a great spot, to catch the cats in action" Mr Gizsqwrl, Replied, : your on your own..... Out she jumped and her feet never hit anything to enable herself to get back in the cat, No, I did not help her, It was comical, and I am sure *others remember *

Looking forward to needing a ladder to get in the cat......

Patroller

If the current pace of snow keeps up, I will be able to park the snow trac and touch the "Do Not Park here Ever" Sign outside the ____________ (can't rememeber the name) trailside eating establishment.
FWIW that sign is way up the pole in summer...........

That would be the Alpin Inn. Sadly, the business went up for sale this summer and the owners say they will not open this winter. If it doesn't sell a different stopover spot will be in order. Or we can stop and just build a bonfire. Anyone have a yurt?

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
In other news, I heard on the radio two interesting items,

Can you confirm the 2017-18 snow season is off to beating the snowiest start record....
Did I understand that the region is over a 100" of snow already this season....

Can you confirm or deny the freezing of the waters off the apostle Islands. the caves along the shoreline are really neat and it isn't very often getting to see them in their frozen glory is possible.

I have to imagine the wind and cold is making some fantastic art forms......

what prompts the inquiry.
I went to service a timbco feller buncher just 50 miles north of the cabin, so I inquired about access, not much phases me in the off road world, but the operator said (in his best yooper) "the roads not perfect, my buddy has a duramax and well you know..... well...... it aintplowed, but any respectable 1/2 ton should get in there"
I said I have a lifted super duty, his reply youll be fine......
Yeah
I was fine, but getting out of that 2mile not perfect road was a battle.

Attachments

• snow cast.jpg
    snow cast.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 443

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
every one must be busy panic prepping cats........

crickets on this thread.....\\

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
every one must be busy panic prepping cats........

crickets on this thread.....\

well, it does seem like the usual cast of snow catters are very quiet, interesting for sure, very sleepy.

so, what is the snow report from clowder land ?

my machine is good to go.

KickerM

Site Supporter
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine is not! I'm in a rebuild frenzy!! and like most of my projects nothing is going as planned!

Kristi Kt-4

Saturday January 20th is an unofficial Pre-Clowder scouting event. This will be an informal event where you can bring your machine to work the bugs out and get some window time for new owners. I know there will be atleast a handful of machines in case anyone doubts there machines mechanical abilities! :smile5: (Pictures are from this past Sunday)

Post if you plan on coming.... :slider3: :bolt:

Attachments

• 20171231_154030.jpg
    20171231_154030.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 407
  • 20171231_154055.jpg
    20171231_154055.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 403

Patroller

Snow Report.........yup, somewhere between 90-100" this season. It's been snowing for the past several days. The pic at the gate was taken almost a month ago and the one of the deck was yesterday. It's been about 6 days since Cheryl shoveled the deck. I never let her shovel unless there is at least 6" and now it's over a foot so I'll give her a thumbs up.

Attachments

• Paul at the gate.jpg
    Paul at the gate.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 416
  • 20180104_083947.jpg
    20180104_083947.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 403

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I wouldn't miss this event for nearly any reason...

Long drive, but very much worth it!!

I look forward to seeing my winter friends once again!

Safe travels on your way, everyone!!

Regards, Kirk

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome, with all that snow on the ground, you better get your lock out hubs working when we climb copper peak......

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Any one hear from nite owl?

Bait Guy?

I spoke to coot bruce today, the snow keeps coming.

Event flyer is on the website. all systems go.

We are able to have a bon-fire on the sun set tour if we would like... We need to let them know. (I feel weather will dictate)

100 MPH?

Awe hell?

NE Iowa

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
One of the hardest parts of communicating the intent of this event is to have fun. Fun is the primary goal. A quote from one of the past event coordinators sums it up best: "you are welcome here, until there are rules, rules kill fun, let's do this to have some fun"

With that said I will try to sum up the event with some descriptions of the key points

Here is a link to the host event. http://bigpowderhorn.net/newsletters/new/newsletter-clowder.htm

This event is the anchor of the weekend. this allows snow cat enthusiast and future enthusiast to interact and explore over the snow equipment up close. many people drive to the event for the day and ski, board, snowmobile or snow shoe and enjoy the BPH facility as a participant of the clowder. When you register for lodging or to rent skis, special event pricing kicks in. there is no registration or lodging requirement to be a participant (sleep in your car if you like)

Big powder horn provides the back bone to the event
Forum member KT-4 provides the brains and event logistics working tirelessly to coordinate the what and where.
Prinoth has been a great supporter of the event placing the big stuff at the event, operating juice drive cats with that kind of power, on those inclines is a treat for us "flat land antique iron operators"

Thursday is a forest and fire trail adventure, Guided and unguided outings available.
Friday is the structured ride to the big lake lake superior, we are hoping to get an earlier start so there will be a destination and time set for getting out in the forest if you don't like structure, show up later and follow the tracks,
there is no doubt you will find us.
Saturday the cats are encouraged to show off and shine up for the morning,
not uncommon for some folks to hit the snow and put on some more hours in the forest before the Rodeo of snow cat games commence in the BPH village. Operators show off such skills and Cone hitting, Brute speed, Controlled Slowness, Backing, and have even seen a three legged tucker shuffle. Saturdays clowder continues with a drive up the complex to a sunset tour of the facility, we parade up to the top to catch an amazing sunset over lake superior, this year weather permitting we will be lighting a fire and touring a bit before heading down for dinner and story swapping.
Sunday historically is a travel day for most, again not uncommon for families and groups to Ski, Swim, or snow cat a bit before heading out

This is a great family event with extremely cost effective fun for all. 300 H-H takes care of the beverage service in the most professional effective and discreet manner, ( its kind of a motel 6 thing, *If the lights on*) 100 MPH is the fleet support, between his preparedness and that high speed SV dozer nobody is left behind. 100MPH puts the dozer in skidozer when it comes to clearing trees.

Here is the important part about the 2018 event, There is a LOT of snow this year, that is no joke, we had an request, ( by a tucker owner)
for 3' of snow. we will get the snow tracs out front right behind the Kristys to make a trail and try to get the snow down to the requested 3' a tucker needs to perform......:w00t2:

One last attempt to pry you off the fence and consider coming out, when I called up to the event to inquire about what Airport is the best to fly into.....
the answer was, Duluth is the cutest, But we'll just leave a snow cat at IWD and they can snow cat into the event

So there you have it, a day by day preview. The crew here at the Midwest snow cat clowder will go above and beyond to have fun. We move snow cats, Drop cars at airports, Haul Mountain bikers around, Weld, Thaw, charge, fuel, repair and fix everything that could and does happen, we even fix crappy attitudes.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
yup, tuckers need a groomed trail to operate on, yup, junk in deep untracked snow, yup, always having to dig them out, yup, yup, yup

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
so gizmo squirrel

you are telling me there is 5 to 6 feet of snow at big powder horn, WOW, better bring a real snow cat if you are coming to the "CLOWDER" a tucker will not cut it, it just has to many moving parts, besides very high maintenance to boot! unless you do not maintain it.

sounds like a prefect event for Snow Tracks, go anywhere, do anything machine.

HAVE FUN !!!

Last edited:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
yup, tuckers need a groomed trail to operate on, yup, junk in deep untracked snow, yup, always having to dig them out, yup, yup, yup

No need to sell me, I have seen pontoons float first hand.

Just throwing out some kristi love....:heart1:
Kristi
Snow trac
tucker
thiokol
Bombardier

In no particular order.........

For What its worth I spent my day too sick to go to work, but well enough to move rollers around on a 500 series machine and perform duties of an electrical assistant wiring a 50's chain drive that was getting some much needed floors, lights and light massage with tucker oil... will be wrenching on a allis chalmers before monday.
Might be two machines in that group that have skis on the front.......

KT-4....... you might have some competition at the rodeo....... better get your tune up skills on full tilt.......

Kristi Kt-4

No need to sell me, I have seen pontoons float first hand.

Just throwing out some kristi love....:heart1:
Kristi
Snow trac
tucker
thiokol
Bombardier

In no particular order.........

For What its worth I spent my day too sick to go to work, but well enough to move rollers around on a 500 series machine and perform duties of an electrical assistant wiring a 50's chain drive that was getting some much needed floors, lights and light massage with tucker oil... will be wrenching on a allis chalmers before monday.
Might be two machines in that group that have skis on the front.......

KT-4....... you might have some competition at the rodeo....... better get your tune up skills on full tilt.......

I see some competition in the near future for the current gold medal winner.... I wonder if they will bring the same machine and another for other challenges? :smile5:
I think that you left out Prinoth also!

Last edited:

Kristi Kt-4

something a little faster...

That could be the fastest machine there but there is a rumor going around of a Mean Mother Tucker showing up... :bolt: I do believe that machine would need to get towed for the trail ride. An automatic winner for the tow strap award! :th_lmao: That is why you have friends.... :jumprope:

Patroller

On the left Dec 10th, on the right Jan 9th. There was just 2-1/2' of clearance under the gate on Jan 9th and we've had another foot since then.

Snow at gate3.jpg