Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > The Mistake Forum

The Mistake Forum Opps!! Mistakes, Mishaps & Broke stuff

Old 02-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Bronze Member

Short bus is on a distinguished road
Default Welding footwear

I did it again welding with crocks on my feet this time I had on $20 filson socks I could feel the burning just mooved my feet around a little like I do when wearing flip flops or other sockless shoes. I just took my scocks out of the dryer and thought where did all thease holes come from? Ding. Welding in crocks the other day, Dogh!
It is a good thing I bought some really nice fire extingishers cause I suck at preping an area for hot work and donning protective gear.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Gold Member

Thanked 2,814 Times in 1,340 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Welding footwear

I'm only an occasional welder (and not very good at it), but I did the same thing many years ago and learned a lesson. I was welding in tennis shoes and a spark got caught in the laces, burned through the tongue of the shoe and was working on the sock when I felt it. It hurt like hell and burned me before I got it off. These days it's pull on boots covered by jeans even in the middle of summer. That's one lesson I don't need to learn twice.

I've seen guys make a small leather cover that attaches to the laces and lays down over the instep of the foot to prevent burns like that.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
Old 02-25-2013, 03:49 PM
worn out farmer

muleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nicemuleman is just really nice

I learned the hard way by wearing sneakers while using a cutting torch. Had a piece of hot slag land in the shoe while I was reaching with the torch. Till I got the shoe off I had a burn that took weeks to finally heal. That was a painful summer reminder that I never forget. I also always have a fire extinguisher right near where I work with a torch. I ain't allowed to weld since I got my pacemaker.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:09 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,671 Posts
mla2ofus is on a distinguished road

Not kicking you, but if this isn't the first time this happened there's something w/ your learning curve.
Mike
Old 02-25-2013, 11:20 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
Not kicking you, but if this isn't the first time this happened there's something w/ your learning curve.
Mike
Thanks Mike you may be on to somthing there so you say I shold weld smarter not tougher?
the problem is I am just trowing a few beads on somthing and if I go in the house to change my shoes i will sit down to check the forurm . then I wilo be hungry so I will get a snack then the mail might come I might pay a bill. got to go to the head. see i anyone replied to the new post I just put up. oh crap I beter go get on the project . oh the bird feeder is empty. 9tose little basterds are into me for a couple thousand dollars
Tweet tweet those little basterds dont even like me they think I am a monster Back in the shop with out my red wings oh well think I will co take a nap but first.... I could hve toughed it out I just hat to ruin socks!
Old 02-26-2013, 01:33 AM
Gold Member

Thanked 2,814 Times in 1,340 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short bus View Post
Thanks Mike you may be on to somthing there so you say I shold weld smarter not tougher?
the problem is I am just trowing a few beads on somthing and if I go in the house to change my shoes i will sit down to check the forurm . then I wilo be hungry so I will get a snack then the mail might come I might pay a bill. got to go to the head. see i anyone replied to the new post I just put up. oh crap I beter go get on the project . oh the bird feeder is empty. 9tose little basterds are into me for a couple thousand dollars
Tweet tweet those little basterds dont even like me they think I am a monster Back in the shop with out my red wings oh well think I will co take a nap but first.... I could hve toughed it out I just hat to ruin socks!
I see your day goes something like mine of late. At the end of the day I'm knackered but can't remember really doing all that much. Poof and the day is gone.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
Old 02-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Silver Member

Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,671 Posts
mla2ofus is on a distinguished road

It's just something that comes w/ old age. You have to accept it or go a little nuttier than folks think you already are,LOL!! Just think of it as OCD except you do at least 20 projects a day.
Mike
Old 02-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 1,780 Times in 760 Posts
waybomb will become famous soon enough

TIG weld - shorts and a dago tee work fine if you don't mind the sun burn.

I'd rather be burning gas up at an alarming rate in Plain Vanilla.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:41 PM
member formerly known as dds

Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road

here's my suggestion get a set of inexpensive leather wellington slip on boots and a pair of carhart bibs with zip up leggs .leave the bots and bibbs in the shop if you need your ppe it will be available kind of like the rubber some guys carry in their wallet.
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool
Old 02-28-2013, 11:44 PM
Bronze Member

Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,024 Posts
300 H and H will become famous soon enough

Oh, and remember your hands too....

Years ago shortly after I married, I had on my wedding ring while MIG welding a door latch assembly. Very small weld, I did it bare handed. A drop of molten wire landed on my wedding ring, not even touching me at all. I noticed that shortly there after the temp of the ring was sky high, and it was on my finger!! I headed for the dog water bucket as I pulled it off. My skin was plastic at that point and it rolled the skin back clear around my finger! I got it cooled down, but still have the scare to prove it. I don't wear that ring very much any more either. The wife understands that it can be a safety issue, thankfully. The steel left a divot in the gold of the ring that required a repair. The jewler had never encountered a ring with such a problem, and the story to go with it.

Regards, Kirk
Snow trac ST4 #267

Last edited by 300 H and H; 03-01-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Bronze Member

great story
Old 03-01-2013, 12:16 AM
Silver Member

Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,151 Posts
Catavenger will become famous soon enoughCatavenger will become famous soon enough

Steeled toed boots they work
Old 03-01-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 H and H View Post
Oh, and remember your hands too....

Years ago shortly after I married, I had on my wedding ring while MIG welding a door latch assembly. Very small weld, I did it bare handed. A drop of molten wire landed on my wedding ring, not even touching me at all. I noticed that shortly there after the temp of the ring was sky high, and it was on my finger!! I headed for the dog water bucket as I pulled it off. My skin was plastic at that point and it rolled the skin back clear around my finger! I got it cooled down, but still have the scare to prove it. I don't wear that ring very much any more either. The wife understands that it can be a safety issue, thankfully. The steel left a divot in the gold of the ring that required a repair. The jewler had never encountered a ring with such a problem, and the story to go with it.

Regards, Kirk
climbing fences can be hazardous to your wedding band finger too slipped off a 10 foot fence and caught my band at the top. i used a few bad words on the way to the e-r. i suppose these stories explane why normal men don't wear a bunch of jewlery .
Old 03-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Bronze Member

I will tell you another thing when loading the snow cat one must wallk very gingerly on the grousers while wearing flip flops.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:45 PM

must be warm where you are at i want to see you up here in flip flops when it's 10 to 15 below