Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > The Mistake Forum

The Mistake Forum Opps!! Mistakes, Mishaps & Broke stuff

Old 01-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Gold Member

joec will become famous soon enoughjoec will become famous soon enough
Style: VB_Original_Style
Default Re: First time opening my inground pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
Enough Knob Creek, it might happen. But I have a hot pool out the other door till the weather breaks, if you can call it that. I got home tonight the sparrows are building a nest in the unused basketball goal by my driveway. Damn global warming.
In Florida all pools now must be enclosed in at minimum a screened in area. It has been that way since I was a kid due to so many accidental drowning of children. I know the one I had was completely indoors with glass over screen windows on two sides of it and rest of the house on the other two sides. Roof over was part of the house also.

During creation, God promised man that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world.
Then, he went and made the world round.... He has a sense of humor
Old 01-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Like a bad penny...

Dargo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec View Post
In Florida all pools now must be enclosed in at minimum a screened in area. It has been that way since I was a kid due to so many accidental drowning of children. I know the one I had was completely indoors with glass over screen windows on two sides of it and rest of the house on the other two sides. Roof over was part of the house also.
I think if varies by county in IN. Where I live you must have an approved 'automatic cover' that is closed when the pool is not in use or have a full fence at least 6' in height with the door able to be locked from the inside. Believe it or not, in most cases, the cost is about the same. I agreed with my wife that the fence would keep leaves, critters etc. out of the pool. We generally have enough mice, moles and frogs commit suicide each summer night that mornings require a few minutes of disposal time of such.

I installed pools in the summers when I was in college. When I put in my pool about 8 or 9 years ago, I was surprised that not much at all had changed since the early 80's. Liner quality had improved and you can now get thicker mil (both side and bottom) than you could then, but pumps, filters, plumbing, construction techniques etc. really haven't changed. I helped my mom in FL when she had a pool put in and I just couldn't get out of my head that there was no worry about how deep you kept lines to be below the freeze zone. Heck, I even have one of those cameras that you can run down drains and pool runs to see what is causing the clog. It's come in handy with having rent houses. I suppose you could do your own colonoscopy with it, but the built in grabbers (to clear a clog or grab a ring etc.) would likely be a bit painful.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

mak2 will become famous soon enough

ONe of the biggest scares I have had for years happened last winter. My pool has a 5' privacy fence and two gates, one to the drive way and one to the back yard. I have always kept these closed most of the time, but some people moved in next door that has a little boy about 4 and a little girls about 3, really cute kids. I then made sure they were closed and latched all the time because I just have a tarp over the pool in the winter. I came home from work and when I hit the driveway I noticed the gate was wide open, unusual. Then the little boy came walking out of the gate soaking wet, ice cold and crying. I was just sure as hell the little girl had fallen and he had tried to get her out. I slammed the jeep into park picked up the little boy on the way and ran to the pool. No little girl and the back gate was open. My boys were out the sledding on the hill with the little girl and the little boy got cold and went home. Scared the sheeeet out of me though, i was just sure there was a frozen drowned little girl in my pool when I pulled inthe driveway. Screened in pools might be a good idea.
Quote:

Jindal is right.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer

jpr62902 will become famous soon enoughjpr62902 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I guess you could call it a senior moment, I didn't even notice the date on the post. I wonder why a lot of the old post keep poping up from time to time?
No need to call the psychiatrist (yet). This thread got renewed when a spammer posted in it (that post was before joec's and has since been deleted).

-- Sam
Old 01-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Gold Member

joec will become famous soon enoughjoec will become famous soon enough
Style: VB_Original_Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr62902 View Post
No need to call the psychiatrist (yet). This thread got renewed when a spammer posted in it (that post was before joec's and has since been deleted).
Thanks jpr

During creation, God promised man that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world.
Then, he went and made the world round.... He has a sense of humor
Old 01-28-2012, 01:34 AM
Poster Extraordinaire

Thanked 16,849 Times in 6,456 Posts
pirate_girl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
Got my swim suit on. What's the address again? Will be bringing Pepsi and bratwurst.
Never mind an old thread being bumped..
How the heck did I miss the above post??