• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tractor starting problem

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Howdy all,

For those that remember, it's been eons ago since I've been here. Several years as a matter of fact. Life just seems to get in the way sometimes. Anyway, I have a starting problem I'm hoping to get some help with. I put this on TNT as well.

I have a Mitsubishi D2350 FD. Little 28hp 4 cyl Diesel engine. A few months ago I started it up to move it out of the way. Started, drove about 30' and quit. it was far enough that I didn't bother with it till today. Towed it to the house. Filter was nasty so I changed it. Changed the fuel, gave the battery a good charge. Tried to start it but no luck. I could feel the glow plugs get hot. Cranked like the energizer bunny. Just wouldn't start. I need some thoughts on where to go next with my trouble shooting.

Any help would be appreciated. I have a ton of bush hogging to do and I really need to to try and resolve this tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Are your injectors clogged? That would be where I would look first. If your diesel is gunked up its possible that the injectors need to be cleaned to get some fuel flowing.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
crack all the injector lines and crank it till the air is out than tighten them up should start if you have no fuel coming out of the injectors you may have a problem with the shut off solenoid on the pump I,m also assuming you have checked the lift pump and you have a good supply to the injection pump.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
crack all the injector lines and crank it till the air is out than tighten them up should start if you have no fuel coming out of the injectors you may have a problem with the shut off solenoid on the pump I,m also assuming you have checked the lift pump and you have a good supply to the injection pump.

X 2.
Mike

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
If the glow plugs are hot and she's cranking good, it isn't getting fuel. There isn't much else it can be. Since you changed the fuel and filter I'm assuming that you bled all the air out of the lines. If so, start at the injectors as dds suggested and go from there.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
No gents, I did not bleed the air out of the lines. Thank you for that. As soon as day breaks here I'm on it.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Ok fellas, Out of the gate I want you to know tat I am grateful for the assistance. I'm not in a position to take this anywhere so I need to do it myself. I'm fine with that. I can handle the tools but my thing is building buildings not motors. I hope your guidance will lead m to greener pastures....pardon the pun.

So, on the advice of the brain-trust, I attempted to bleed the lines. First off I should point out the attachments for reference. How much fuel should I be getting? I only got some to come out of the shortest tubing run from the pump to the injector. This is the line furthest to the right which goes to the first cylinder on the right. The others didn't produce much of anything. So I took the lines off and blew them out. There was fuel coming out of the pump at all 4 ports. I cranked it some with the lines off before I put it back together to try and determine if the problem might be at the pump. As of now, I've not taken the pump top apart to disect the situation. I thought I would wait for some feed back before I did that. Is it possible that there is a collection of junk in the pump or a diaphragm of some sort that may be compromised? I don't have a manual so I'm flying blind so to speak.

Attachments

• 0612130815.jpg
    0612130815.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 0612130817.jpg
    0612130817.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 48

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
On my 3 cylinder ones they have a small hand primer pump to use when changing filters.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Yeah Baby.....Everybody needs a little gas. First, I'd like to thank Al Gore for inventing the internet. Without it I would not have been able to connect to the most extensive and exhaustive knowledge base on the planet. FF Rules!!!!

So, I decided not to wait for a reply. I went ahead and removed the port housings on top of the pump. This revealed a spring and a little cylindrical disc. I removed, them cleaned them, blew out the ports of all debris, put them back and attached the lines. Cranked the air out of the lines and returned everything to its original configuration. Well gofiguration....after cranking it for a bit the sucka started up and has been running fine for about 20 minutes now.

Sooooooo.....Hi ho, Hi ho, it's off to the farm I go.

Thanks again guys :thumb:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad you got it.

Like you, I'm not an engine builder. One thing that I've really come to appreciate about the little diesel tractor engines is that guys like you and I can actually get them up and running most of the time! These things are actually pretty simple and as long as the problem is mechanical its something that us "shadetree" mechanics can fix.

When you described it, I figured it was "gunk" somewhere in the system that was clogging something. Glad it running again for you.

GUNK: a highly technical terms used by non-mechanics to describe mysterious stuff that stops up the internals of an engine