• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Starting aids for very Cold Temperatures

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
?right thread? I would like opinions on what your thoughts are on using ether-starting fluid? I have herd horror stories on what it can do or will do over time. I tell my employees only as a last resort what are your opinions?? :confused2: :rolleyes: :thumb:

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
As a rule Either is very destructive to an engine. In diesels I've seen it bend the connecting rods. For Air Cooled rigs, like Snow Trac, one can preheat air with one of the AUX heaters and run it into the pre-heat/Clean air tubes. This would be a good idea for ambient temperatures below minus 20 degrees F. For both water cooled and air cooled rigs there are a variety of plug in (120 Volt) heaters for the cooling system and the Oil system available. Also with both Gasoline and Diesel Vehicles as most Canadians and Alaskans will tell you," with Synthetic Oil it will start 20 degrees colder than with regular oil".

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I too avoid ether as much as I can which is pretty much... always.

I have the oil type block heaters on the engines and if it's hydraulic drive, I put another on the hyd pan as well. They fire right up.

If you're like me and don't see the need to pay the electric to keep it warm 24/7, I put my heaters on a 24-hour timer and set it to turn on approx. 2 hours before I expect to get on it (which is normally right after work). If I ever get that 3-way wire/switch/receptacles done from the house to the building, I'll probably use that instead.

Eric L

Site Supporter
Ether=bad news, cant say I never use it, ...but when I do, I realize the gamble I'm taking.

Eric

GYPSY

Any problem with changing from a mineral based engine oil to a synthetic engine oil in a 48 year old engine?

cj7

I try to avoid it also especially on a cold motor.

Best to try and have some type of heater for the oil or coolent.

I suppose that if you were headed someplace for an overnighter. I would try and cover the rig once you shut it down for the night, or find some type of windblock. It would help keep the wind from chilling it more. I had an ISUZU truck sitting on a jobsite once. They strated the truck every day. But one night must have been a little more windchill and the fuel pump froze. It only took a few minutes from the hair dryer to thw it out. But it was a pain in the ass since we had to go buy a hairdryer and string cord across the parking lot....and it was still windy!

A small portable generator might be handy to power the heater if you needed to.. but then you have to be able to start the generator.

Wonder if you can do anything with solar? I know would not be much good at night, but (just thinking out load)

As mentioned synthetic oil would help too.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Usually ,one Rum and Dr.Pepper will get me started :burp: .After that I just add them in as needed to keep the blood flow thin and running.:moon:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
cj7 said:
A small portable generator might be handy to power the heater if you needed to.. but then you have to be able to start the generator.
A power inverter connected to a spare battery. It can supply 110v for many emergency situations.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I could of used something this morning as we were down to around -12 degrees. The new diesel F350 struggled to start and it was not plugged into any electric tree. I will have to park it or start plugging it in at these temps. The other hard to start vehicle was the VW powered TracMaster. I have not had it long enough to learn its little idiosyncrasies. It will be easier next time as it started best like any older vehicle by pumping the accelerator pedal several times prior to hitting the starter. I will look into a magnetic mount oil pan heater for the VW. It may help some. It was a good day to get a feel of the possible vehicle starting problems in the future.

Starting fluid is the very last resort if something has to move. Hopefully at any colder temps, I can just stay home and stoke the fire.

dseymour

New Tucker Sno Cats come from the factory with ether starting aids on them. The cummins diesel starts good down to about 10 degrees. Below that if you bump the ether button while cranking the engine it starts good. Too much ether can lock a motor or make it rattle when it starts (THIS IS NOT GOOD).

mlang2005

Always have the engine cranking before you shoot the starting fluid to it, and take it easy with it at first spraying more as required. On diesels with glow plugs, dont wait for the glow plugs to heat, quickly crank and shoot. I have found that modern starter fluid is not near as powerful as it used to be, use to be able to use a small spray to bead up stubborn tractor tires now that new stuff wont hardly explode.:flame2:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
mlang2005 said:
I have found that modern starter fluid is not near as powerful as it used to be, use to be able to use a small spray to bead up stubborn tractor tires now that new stuff wont hardly explode.:flame2:
Several years ago a neighbor of mine mounted a tire for me once, he used starter fluid & a match to get it to seal. Quite an interesting thing to watch.

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Make sure all the basics are covered.. clean fuel/air filters.. non-geling fuel additive.. battery maintenance/properly charged.. clean electrical connections.

cj7

B_Skurka said:
Several years ago a neighbor of mine mounted a tire for me once, he used starter fluid & a match to get it to seal. Quite an interesting thing to watch.

That was cool! Wasn't it! Nothing like an explosion!

I have seen it done on the trail a time or two also when no one had any on-board air.