• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Some pics of the Erie canal

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Wife and I went for a drive today and came across this section of the old Erie canal. It is part of the NY park system and has walking paths following the old mule towpath along the canal. The stone work along the sides is very interesting to see. Makes you wonder how they set them all in place so many years ago. We took a short walk with the dogs but got rained out.

Attachments

• imp 015.jpg
    imp 015.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 158
  • imp 016.jpg
    imp 016.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 167
  • imp 017.jpg
    imp 017.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 161
  • imp 018.jpg
    imp 018.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 172
  • imp 019.jpg
    imp 019.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 152
  • imp 020.jpg
    imp 020.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 164

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We would like to go back someday and do a longer walk. It is nice and flat walking so I should be able to do a few miles at a slow pace.

norscaner

thanks for taking the time Muley to post the pics....reps for you, OK my bad I have to spread them around first I owe you Muley....

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
great pics love to see other parts of the country the stoe work is neet reminds me of a place up here called dorthy creek where they have hand layed stones with no morter in an embutment on a aqua duct that is still standing to day the whole project was all hand work done back around 1900.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
We also have reportedly one of the only preserved canal boats in the state!

This folklore museum features exhibits on the canals and canal boat history, as well as artifacts from life in Delphos from 1851 on. The museum also includes a 1902 Sears Buggy Roadster, antique tools and manufacturing equipment along with many other displays depicting the history of business, industry, schools, churches, events, homes and more. Exhibits include the only preserved canal boat in Ohio.

http://www.lasr.net/travel/city.php...ID=OH0501004&VA=Y&Attraction_ID=OH0501004a009

marguerite.jpg

http://creationsourceimages.photosh...Add-to-Cart/G00005SOvE3TFNWo/I0000c2uVYkQUBSQ

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That is a cool boat ! Would love to see a reenactment of them pulling one along the canals. Sad part is most of the bridges across the canal are too low to get under.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Does anyone know where the Erie canal ended? :wink: It may not be exactly where you think. BTW, great pics! Most of the canal is now gone.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Does anyone know where the Erie canal ended? :wink: It may not be exactly where you think. BTW, great pics! Most of the canal is now gone.
It ends at lake Erie and runs to Albany. Major sections are still in use for pleasure boating today. The closer to Albany you get the bigger it is. Don't know much about the western end but would love to explore it some more. We are talking about taking the mini motorhome and doing some trips along it this fall. Should be fun to see some new areas than we normally fly by on the interstate.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
It ends at Lake Erie and runs to Albany. Major sections are still in use for pleasure boating today. The closer to Albany you get the bigger it is. Don't know much about the western end but would love to explore it some more. We are talking about taking the mini motorhome and doing some trips along it this fall. Should be fun to see some new areas than we normally fly by on the interstate.

Yes, if I recall correctly, it goes from the Atlantic to lake Erie at Buffalo, NY. What I find interesting is how it was accomplished with pure manual labor; mules and men. A different canal that I'm more familiar with is the Wabash & Erie Canal. It was to link the Great Lakes to the Gulf via the Ohio River and Mississippi River. However, what is missing in most history books is the fact the canal stopped short of the Ohio River by about 40' due to disputes.

My great-grandfather worked on the very end of that Canal in Evansville, IN until a labor and land dispute stopped progress. The labor and land dispute lasted so long that the railroad system made the Wabash and Erie Canal obsolete before it was ever completed. There is a small obscure marker about 3 miles from my home that designates where that canal ended; 40' short of the Ohio River!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I used to live very close to the Erie Canal. Spent many days (and nights, when we did a multi-day trip) on the canal, including several of the locks.

There's some pretty interesting things about the building of the canal. E.g. When built, it was only 4' deep. It went through a couple expansions over the years which increased its depth and width.

Anyone else remember this song?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woqb5zU1IcQ&feature=related"]YouTube- Erie Canal[/ame]