• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Homemade DTV Antenna

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Since the switch to DTV, my reception has been great on several channels, and hit-or-miss on a few channels... the ones I watch the most of course. In the old analog days, a poorly received channel would be snowy and staticky, but usually still watchable. In the modern digital age, a poorly recieved channel is pretty much unwatchable. The picture either disappears for seconds at a time or displays a bunch of colored blocks as if you were playing a game of Breakout. On an analog channel you could still hear the audio pretty well even if the picture was hash, which was at least ok for listening to a baseball game. On a digital channel, it just pops, whistles, and clicks... if there is any sound at all.

I've always had poor reception at my house, but since I'm rarely there it hasn't been much of a problem. I did by a 'digital' rabbit ear antenna shortly after buying a new LCD HDTV last year, but it doesn't seem to be much better than a bare wire hanging out the antenna jack. I can lose channels simply by viewing from the wrong spot in the room. Last night, with nothing interesting on the 'good' channels and several things I wanted to watch on the 'bad' channels, enough was enough. I started searching the net for comparisons of DTV antennas and was either going to order a highly rated one online or go buy one if available in town last night. Instead, I had lots of hits on making a homemade antenna that had been getting good reviews and was cheap/easy to build. So, online plans in hand, here's what I did...

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Headed off to Home Depot and grabbed a chunk of 3/4" plywood. They sell smaller pieces than the standard 4'x8'. I got a 2'x4' piece. Also picked up 16 #12x3/4" Phillips panhead screws and 12 1/4" flat washers. The plans I have called for wire hangers, but since 'Mommy Dearest', I've had no wire hangers ion the house. :smileywac So I picked up a 100' roll of galvanized wire as a substitute. I think it was still cheaper than buying wire hangers.

Next, off to Walmart for a 6' co-ax cable with male 'f' connectors on each end, and a 300 to 75Ohm balun with pigtails on the 300Ohm end and a female 'f' connector on the other. The balun is needed to match the impedance of the antenna to the input of the TV.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Here I've cut a 3" wide strip off the end of the plywood for the antenna and then trimmed off 4" from that to be used as a foot/stand for the antenna. The final antenna wood form is 3/4" plywood cut to 3" wide and 20" long.

Plywood.JPG

Next I measured out the locations for the screws that will hold the antenna elements in place. The measurements and marks are done down along each side, 1/2" in from the edge. The first is 2" down from the top, then 3 more, each 5 3/4" from the previous. One more mark is done 10" from the end to serve as the spot where the balun connects.

Measurements.JPG

Now I've started installing the elements that I've pre-cut. There are two pieces of wire that run the length of the antenna and are cut to size to run as the first one is shown here. There are 8 more pieces of wire that I cut about 16.25" (.25" to compensate for the wrap around the screws.). They will eventually be folded around 8 of the screws to form the receiving elements.

Wires.JPG

Now all of the elements have ben bent and attached, as well as the balun and foot. The elements are trimed to 8" and are spread 3" apart. All that's left is to insulate the 2 places where the wires cross and touch, and hook her up.

Complete.JPG

Last edited:

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm curious about your measures, here, Bob, but perhaps you left out an attachment or two to your posts?

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
He's just trying to come up with something that works better than his old standby, the tin foil hat....

Attachments

• loan-modification-conspiracy-tin-foil-hat.jpg
    loan-modification-conspiracy-tin-foil-hat.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 203

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
And finally, the finished product shown next to the cheap piece of crud that it replaces.

Together.JPG

Installed.JPG

Though designed to stand vertically, I didn't have enough space to support it on top of the flatscreen and it seemed to perform just as well laying horizontally. I am both happy and stunned to report a 6dB gain on the marginal channels versus the commercial antenna. No more dropouts, pops or clicks. Also picked up about 6 channels I couldn't receive before. :clap: Next, will hang it in the attic to suck up even more UHF. :thumb:

Last edited:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I aint taking the bait:yum::yum::yum:

Stay on topic or be banned....again. :hammer: :poke: :whistling: Now go to that 'happy place'. :rolleyes:

I'm curious about your measures, here, Bob, but perhaps you left out an attachment or two to your posts?

Questions answered, spaz-o?

He's just trying to come up with something that works better than his old standby, the tin foil hat....

I told you last time you asked for one, SnoOps has bought out the entire north american inventory and I can not convince him to part with one for you. :glare:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Total build time, including travel to my local Home Depot and Walmart, just over an hour. Costs? Will add up later. The plans I used...

View attachment 39723

OK BOB ???? Now figure out a antenna that will work for ordinary cell phones in Elk City Idaho and I'll kiss your butt !

Ok maybe not that ....... But i'll sing high praises to you !!!:clap:

Nearest cell service is 50 miles away .

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Off topic. Return to your happy place. :nono2:

Unfortunately, most providers, if not all, are limiting the range allowed to connect to their towers. I assume it is to either reduce the load on the tower or improve customer satisfaction by reducing dropped calls caused by low signal levels. Even if you have the gear to make the long haul, and I do, they will not let you in based on ping time.

benspawpaw

hey i got a metal one of those things with a grid on the other side that looks like screen wire with 1 inch squares didnt work for me but i just bought a new lcd hdtv i may try it on it found it under my shop building when we boughy the house looks 100 years old but no rust i jusy may try it

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
How's about a picture when you get around to it? There are many variations of this antenna, which I believe was first developed in the '60s. Some of the originals are rare and sought after by antenna geeks. If you tried it for VHF, you may not have had good results as it is designed for UHF. DTV is mainly, if not completely, in UHF.

AndyM

Charter Member
And finally, the finished product shown next to the cheap piece of crud that it replaces.

The homemade antenna might work better than its predecessor you have pictured, but over here I'm using a VHF/UHF combo rooftop antenna, mounted at roof height. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think it would work best to pull in distant digital signals.

This entire small town is down in a hollow and we only receive two channels from the nearest small market 47 miles to the west. I'm not sure how the digital signals work, but using the antenna rotor doesn't make any difference.

There is a medium-sized market 61 miles to the north and a large market 71 miles south but I can't receive any channels, even rotating the antenna.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
How's about a picture when you get around to it? There are many variations of this antenna, which I believe was first developed in the '60s. Some of the originals are rare and sought after by antenna geeks. If you tried it for VHF, you may not have had good results as it is designed for UHF. DTV is mainly, if not completely, in UHF.
Perhaps I'll can my cable and go for one of these, being the geeky pseudo-redneck prefab living doll that I am.
Hey Bob, send me the instructions dahlin'.... I love yer scientific mind, sweetiecheeks!

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Darn near identical to the one I just built except for the backplane.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
The homemade antenna might work better than its predecessor you have pictured, but over here I'm using a VHF/UHF combo rooftop antenna, mounted at roof height. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think it would work best to pull in distant digital signals.

This entire small town is down in a hollow and we only receive two channels from the nearest small market 47 miles to the west. I'm not sure how the digital signals work, but using the antenna rotor doesn't make any difference.

There is a medium-sized market 61 miles to the north and a large market 71 miles south but I can't receive any channels, even rotating the antenna.

The VHF elements of your antenna are probably not contributing much, unless you are in one of the areas where 9% of the stations are remaining in the VHF spectrum. If stations you're interested in are on this list, then you will need the VHF elements.

The height of your antenna is what's helping you pull in the distant signals, and yours is most likely directional as well, though you say rotating doesn't make a difference. The antenna I built here is multi-directional and provides very little isotropic gain. A uni-directional antenna, such as an Uda-Yagi or a log periodic, will provide much more isotropic gain and is what you should be looking for. There are manufactures out there targeting your requirements. If you are getting 2 stations from the small market, then there's a good chance you can get others in that area. Your topography may prevent you from hitting either of the other 2 markets. Are you prevented by CCRs, HOAs, or city ordinances from raising your antenna above your roofline?

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Bob when you put your fist post without the picture i was expecting someone to say "no picture" followed by you saying "yea sorry the antenna never worked":yum::yum::yum:

I guess it's all i expect from you.:clap:

Bamby

OK I'm biting here, getting real tired of paying dish for in reality nothing to watch......

I've got some older TV's that work fine yet would they still need a digital converter box with this homemade antenna also?

Even if they do I'll just add them to the shopping list of materials. Wife even agrees and is also fed up with paying good money for nothing also. Im rather looking forward to telling them to take a hike with their almost $70 mo. garbage programing.

AndyM

Charter Member
Im rather looking forward to telling them to take a hike with their almost $70 mo. garbage programing.

Once you pay for the converter box and materials for the antenna, you can watch garbage programming for free! :clap:

Last edited:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
OK I'm biting here, getting real tired of paying dish for in reality nothing to watch......

I've got some older TV's that work fine yet would they still need a digital converter box with this homemade antenna also?

<snip>

Yes, you will need the converter box. I haven't looked, but I expect the price has gone down since the govt subsidy program has expired.