• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Poor design ? gas stove

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
This is a real screwing !
The buttons on my stove never worked right. It turns out that the little plastic tabs that hold the computer to the front of the stove were broken. But do they sell that plastic mounting thing seperately ? NOOO :hammer:

So what should have been a $2-5 repair cost $222 in parts.

Thanks, Amana, Whirlpool, Maytag ...whoever made the dam thing !!!

Why do we have to have all these computerized things ? I can't even find a stove that the oven is lightable without electricity :censored:

Attachments

• PIXstovebrokeW.jpg
    PIXstovebrokeW.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 236

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I know how you feel pixie. We have an electric stove that will do the clean thing. Problem was, if you just bumped the stove, the door latch would engage and cycle locked and open all day. Repairman wanted $150 to replace the control module, similar to the one in your picture. That was on top of the control module price. Well, being the handy guy I am, I ordered the module and did it myself. Only to have it continue to do it. :furious:

Turns out it was the lock motor that had a bad switch. SO now I have 2 new parts in the stove.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Good work pixie! Still cheaper than a new stove! :thumb:

Don't you wish there was a plastic glue that really worked!

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW, there are a number of online appliance parts houses that sell oem parts at about half of what you'd pay from the local appliance parts store

D

darroll

Good work pixie! Still cheaper than a new stove! :thumb:

Don't you wish there was a plastic glue that really worked!

They had to take to glue out of the plastic glue.
Kids were snorting it...
These damn fools would snort pee out of a boot if they thought they could get high..
:furious:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Time for another pre-Thanksgiving stove repair. :hammer:

This year it's the igniter. Fortunately it's way cheaper at $57 but I'll have to take the door off and/or a bunch of other stuff to install it.
I Do have better things to do ....

Thanks again, Amana, Whirlpool, Maytag :hammer:
At least they could include a blow-up diagram or repair instructions

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Time for another pre-Thanksgiving stove repair. :hammer:

This year it's the igniter. Fortunately it's way cheaper at $57 but I'll have to take the door off and/or a bunch of other stuff to install it.
I Do have better things to do ....

Thanks again, Amana, Whirlpool, Maytag :hammer:
At least they could include a blow-up diagram or repair instructions

We have a 6 burner "RCA brand "gas stove in Panama . It requires no electricity . The burners are on a standing pilot and the oven has a slick little set up to light it each time you need to use it . Its simple and the wife loves it . Hell ,she would make me bring one back for the house in the states ,if I could get it in the luggage .
Came with a beauitful glass folding top that acts as a back splash during use and a burner cover when its not in use .Even has a nice glass window in the oven door . Cost was about $250 . Why can't we get then in the states ????

Attachments

• Baja Mar June 2004 027.jpg
    Baja Mar June 2004 027.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 152

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
WOW, Al !!! That's just the stove I need and it's shaped like I like them with NO backsplash ugly thing.

I really don't understand the "bigger, better, more complicated" American thing. I want simple things that work !!! I can't afford to buy a new stove every few years, in fact, I refuse to !!!!

Pardon the mess :smile:

Attachments

• PIXstove0809W.jpg
    PIXstove0809W.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 157

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
WOW, Al !!! That's just the stove I need and it's shaped like I like them with NO backsplash ugly thing.

I really don't understand the "bigger, better, more complicated" American thing. I want simple things that work !!! I can't afford to buy a new stove every few years, in fact, I refuse to !!!!

Pardon the mess :smile:

I agree . In Panama they have about a bazillion different brands & styles to choose from and most are under $200 bucks.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I look at some of today's things as way overdesigned to inflate costs. If I could buy a simple truck or suburban with vent windows,no ABS,no auto ride,no auto temp,no auto 4wd and all the other "things" that someone decided we need it would be sitting outside right now. If some manufacturer ever goes back in time to a simpler working truck they would corner the market for pickups.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I look at some of today's things as way overdesigned to inflate costs. If I could buy a simple truck or suburban with vent windows,no ABS,no auto ride,no auto temp,no auto 4wd and all the other "things" that someone decided we need it would be sitting outside right now. If some manufacturer ever goes back in time to a simpler working truck they would corner the market for pickups.

I agree completely :clap:

It's why I buy 10-20 year old vehicles :wink:
Even they are too complicated .

I'm saving a 30 year old gas stove for my next house but it has a backsplash and I HATE those.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
So why don't you find a really old one and rebuild it like I did . I got this off ebay for $350 . I then tore it completely down ,got rid of the old asbestos insulation and put in new stuff ,cleaned and rehoned the valves , fixed the chips on the porcelain and recalibriated the oven thermostat .Its now within 3 degrees in the whole ovens range when you set the dial . The top burners are under the opening tops .Its used everyday at the ranch in Idaho .

Pixie,
As good as you are at fixing stuff , this would be a breeze and a great winter project .

Attachments

• Idaho house.jpg
    Idaho house.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 126

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I got this one for free last winter :clap:

It came out of a fancy boat built in the early '50s. I thought it would be great to have on the proch ( covered) for when the regular stove quits and for cooking fish. It needs some rat wire added to keep the mice out, though.
And...well...I just haven't worked on it yet.

That IS a good idea and I'll look into it :smile:

Attachments

• PIXboatstoveW.jpg
    PIXboatstoveW.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 118

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I got this one for free last winter :clap:

It came out of a fancy boat built in the early '50s. I thought it would be great to have on the proch ( covered) for when the regular stove quits and for cooking fish. It needs some rat wire added to keep the mice out, though.
And...well...I just haven't worked on it yet.

That IS a good idea and I'll look into it :smile:

That is a neat one ! I have never seen one like that . Who made it ?
I never realized that there was quite a following for old stove restorations until I started fixing mine .
Have fun with your project !