• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Water & Drain to shop

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
This winters project is going to be to convert a four car garage into my nicely insulated and heated workshop. I have decided that I would like to have water in the shop for a utility tub/sink. The problem is that the building is about 60' from the house, and I don't really know what to do with the drain line. Proper drainage is 1/4" per foot of horizontal, so this would be about 15" total difference. Counting the line needs to be 40" deep to begin with, the total depth would be 55" below grade when entering the house foundation. This is below the main drain to my septic, and I do not have an ejector in the basement.

I don't think a french drain out near the workshop would be the best plan, as the sink might (probably) be used for things like paint cleanup, greasy hands, etc.

I guess this brings up a different question. Should this type of material (paint, grease, etc) be going into my septic anyway? If not, how do you guys with septic handle this?

:confused:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave,
First, I'm no expert but here's my 2 cents.
To my knowledge (which is limited) the 1/4" per foor is a measurement for accomodating solid wastes (poop). If you're not going to poop in your sink, I would think you can make it whatever you want.
If you put an ejector pump (and appropriate 1-way valves), I don't see why you couldn't pump it to your septic.

Paint/grease to your septic...
Personally, I haven't noticed any problems regardless of my disposal method (within reason). If I use hand cleaner, the grease breaks up. For latex (water based) paint, I've let it go in the septic. If it's an oil based paint (requires something stronger than water to clean), no way does it hit the septic. It becomes a fire starter for a bonfire.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Dirty hands are not a problem, but paint is a definite NO. I would just dig a deep hole and put in a plastic barrel that I had drilled holes in the sides. Cut out the bottom and put a foot of crushed stone in the hole. Put the barrel into the hole and fill all around it with crushed stone. Then put a piece of landscape fabric on top of the stone and the top of the barrel and cover with dirt. Don't forget to put the drain from the sink into the barrel also. You will never use enough water to cause any backup of this dry well system. Just don't put any hazardous materials into the ground. Around here, the local health department prefers that people just dump gray water on the ground surface if it is from a utility building like you described. Soapy water will not hurt the grass weeds. Personally, I prefer the dry well method.... Junk....

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
From what I have learned, all paints can cause problems. The cleaning of a brush or roller isn't that bad, but latex paints can cause problems so I was told by the DEP man. They also say no to the garbage disposal, and I have had one for 20 years. We pump the tank every 5 years or so. Usually more wax/fat than anything else. Pumping is less expensive than a new system. Junk..

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Hmmmm...this does sound like the easiest. In fact, only a couple feet from the shop is a very old cement well vault. It is a hazard, and I have been planning on filling it in. Sounds like I could kill two birds with one stone anduse this vault as the drain pit. It has solid cement walls, but I believe it is a dirt floor. Once I remove the old pressure tank, and break up the roof and the portion of the walls that is above grade, it sounds ideal.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
In fact, only a couple feet from the shop is a very old cement well vault.
Ohhhh, now you mention that. Well, throw all my thoughts out the window.

Junk - Without elaborating, I clean most of my paint stuff outside so I think I'm OK.