• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1404 imp resto

Well I am finally making some leeway, I am stripping all of the aluminum off right now and then I am going to sandblast the laddice steel framework with a Bedliner. I am also going to be dynamatting all of the floor and interior panels before i rivet them back in. My plan is to polish the outer and inner tunnel and leave it bare. I figure if its dragging in the snow this way I wont have to worry about the paint coming off. I have attached a bunch of photos through photo bucket.

I am thinking of putting an automatic in it. And I plan to make it a full cab..

Any pointers are welcome thanks guys!

http://s1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj608/anthonydoldd/

I got the rest of the aluminum sheeting off and was ready to start sandblasting the framework when the rain started. Rain for three days go figure. I rebuilt the steering master cylinders they had some rust inside so I honed them out and rebuilt them with the NAPA kit # 387, good kit comes with everything but the springs. Hopefully next weekend I will be able to get the sandblasting and priming all done.

I cant get pics to post on this site. It always tells me there is a token missing and will not let me upload.... Any pointers?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Are you planning on making it one cab complete from the operator to the back? That would allow it to have heat and better seating for guests. You must have drilled a ton of rivets pulling all those panels.:biggrin:

I have been in a debate about that for awhile. I would like to but at the same time I have been considering just having a pass through window and keeping it seperate. See how things will go. The rivets have been quite the adventure, i just kept thinking well i got this far I will take this panel off and that will be it, now I am out of panels. I want to get all of the frame work painted and do some sound deadening on the interior panels. Hopefully it will be worth it. I bought it super cheap so thats been my justification for the extra work and money.

So after two days of sandblasting I am about half done with sandblasting. That old undercoating is murder, not to mention all the small nooks and crannies. Does anyone have a recommendation on paint that will hold up well and is relatively easy to spray. I dont have a paint booth.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the aviation industry uses imiron how ever a poly urathane base clear will also work well just need to use a good etching primer for aluminum

Thank you I will keep that in mind for the aluminum Body but I was curious as to what would work well for the steel framework. I would like to find something that will really hold up well to chemicals such as gas and oil.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I been painting with Rust shield and Zero rust paint. It is about $30 a QT.Trailer and studebaker been holding up good. The snow trac was the latest to use it on.
They have the basic colors and I just mix to get what I want.
Owl and other stuff from barn storage washes off without leaving any marks.
jim

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the key to keeping the paint on the metal is the primer the dupont stuff they use on airplanes is a yellow color and sticks well to steel and aluminum after that use the paint you want

Ok so its been a while but I got an engine. I am using the 2.3 liter I-4 out of a ford ranger. I figure it will probably be a little lighter and its about 60 more hp. I am trying to find a A4DL transmission (automatic) and once I find that I will begin to fabricate some mounts. I am going to relocate the radiator to the side of the cat and use an electric fan. The engine is on the way so I am getting pretty excited to begin fabrication. I am also going to widen the the bed by 12" and then make the topper a permanent part of the cab, and i will just resheet the topper.

I ordered POR 15 for all of the lower laddice framework. I have not ordered any paint for the body but I think it will be Orange again. I will get some more pics up when I get moving on the mounts.

Got 2.3 this weekend and got it partially cleaned up.. had a quick fitting in the chassis and it will work.. Going to go for a final fitting this weekend and fab mounts. I will then get the engine on the stand and go through it. Anyone have a line on a A4LD ford trans? Having trouble finding one. Got the radiator and electric fan ready to go yesterday. Added some pics to photo bucket.. Still cant gett pics to post on here

Ok so I will have to finish fabbing mounts tomorrow. Everything will fit but I have to modify the exhaust manifold and a new engine canopy... Took some pics.
new003-1.jpg

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just curious,

How are you going to mod a cast iron exhaust manifold??

Cast is hard to work with IMHO...

Regards, Kirk

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Will be following you closely.

Just acquired a 1402 opentop, and just hope to give 'er a try this winter in the "AS IS" condition with just minor TLC.

(need to replace wheels/tires, repair track a bit, clean up the engine/fluid change).

iphone003.jpg
iphone002.jpg
iphone001.jpg

Mounts are coming together very well. Chose to use the mounts of the engine and built mounts for the chassis. We cut out the original mount and then when we welded in the new mounts we tied them into the frame for more strength. Same weight!!

Nikson have you looked at nuttsters posts he did an absolutely beautiful job of restoring a 1402 open top? You should check it out

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have seen them all by now... :) :w00t2::w00t2::w00t2:

info overload - honestly.

Hard to figure out where to start and what to do.

I've set my mind to keep it as is for now, with just TLC on drivetrain and body, making sure that it function properly in factory stock condition before any aftermarket tweeks.

I've sort of learned that off my Jeep building/fabbing techniques.

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
iphone003.jpg
iphone002.jpg
iphone001.jpg

Mounts are coming together very well. Chose to use the mounts of the engine and built mounts for the chassis. We cut out the original mount and then when we welded in the new mounts we tied them into the frame for more strength. Same weight!!

Nice project ! Wish I didnt always have to borrow someone elses shop to do my work

IRONGOAT

I know the feeling my family has a large shop but it is now 6 hrs from me so getting home to work on the cat has been more of a challenge.

Have started to fabricate the new engine canopy and hopefully will have the trans soon so I can finish the engine mounts. We have also begun the wiring for the engine. I will post some more pics in the next week or two.

So I have got the A4LD transmission sitting in the shop thanks to Snocat Pat!!! I will be going home next weekend and will be getting some work done!! Engine mounts are finished, transmission mount is almost finished. Radiator is ready, i moved the shroud to the front of the radiator and bought an electric fan so it will be a pusher. This makes room for the water pump. Found a fuel cell out of a combine that is 15 gallons that we will mount under one of the rear seats.

I will document the work and progress with some photos next monday!! Hope to get going on the wiring this weekend as well so we can get it all sand blasted. If I have time after we get the lower chassis done we will be converting to a full cab also...