• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Floor Lino Loose In One Spot

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
PB's thread about tiling a bathroom floor got me to thinking about this.

Around the front of my bathtub/shower unit, the lino has come unglued from the flooring in a space about 3-4 " long, right in front, close to where I step out.

Prior to that, there had been a thin line of waterproof caulk that was very nice and neat. Part of it pulled loose when the flooring underneath got wet (the time my tub cracked).

How can I repair and secure this? Don't they make a trim that can easily be applied in just that space?
Isn't there like a press and seal roll type of trim?

Keep in mind you're talking to a woman, so keep it simple lol

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
Keep in mind you're talking to a woman, so keep it simple lol

Wanna fool around? :yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:

There is some of that type of trim - I saw it at Ace Hardware.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
All I can find is:

Attachments

• 41kL8g6ZRLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41kL8g6ZRLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 33

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh.. well, I'm not so sure that would work on the linoeum floor, or even look right.
Thanks anyway.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've tried that type of tape stuff like in the pic. I hated it and ripped it all out about as fast as I put installed it. Caulking is very easy once you get used to it.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Brian, I suppose gluing the loose part back down and then applying caulk is the only answer here.
I was hoping for some suggestion for a neater appearance for that area.
I'll be looking around.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Brian, I suppose gluing the loose part back down and then applying caulk is the only answer here.
I was hoping for some suggestion for a neater appearance for that area.
I'll be looking around.

Its hard to picture without seeing the problem PG , but if its still down in enough spots to where it cant be pulled back to glue it down , You can try some clear elmers glue in a syringe & shoot a little bit every few inches through the linoleum .

They make a very tiny hole & seals its self back up when you pull the needle out & press the loose spot down . Place a phone book on for weight & just do a small area at a time . Once you get the loose spots secured down caulk around the edge where it meets the tub/shower so no more moisture can get underneath .

You can buy the caulk in a squeze tube thats much handier then a caulking gun & there are several types of glue syringes available at any of the big box outlets , such as lowes or home depot . Heres ones I keep around but I also use a vetinary syringe more when I need a Smaller hole .

The main thing is make sure the surface underneath is good & dry so no mold will form under it , Can be done with a small fan to move the air & using a hair dryer on the lenolium to dry it out from underneath . Best of luck . :wink:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rockler-Workshop-Glue-Injector/dp/B001DVVKH2/ref=pd_cp_hi_3"]Amazon.com: Workshop Glue Injector: Home Improvement[/ame]

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Plus one to what Cowboy said.

I suspect that when the caulk came loose that water gets in / got in under the Lino. The water may have either dissolved the glue or over time delaminated the wood underneath the lino. It could also be just a matter of the wood swelling with the water.

There are three objectives, dry the area under the lino, repair any damage to the wood underneath and seal the floor so that the problem does not return.

If you have a floor guy near or know one, I would suggest getting an estimate to repair. You should not be obligated to take that estimate. It will give you a good professional hands on opinion as to what is wrong. From there you can make quality informed decisions.

Also of concern, is the floor below (Basement?) can you see this floor above or is it a finished basement? Maybe there is not a basement. Crawl space? Anyway fi water is leaking it is most likely going to mess up the wood. Just hoping that you have access from below and can see what is happening from there.

HTH

Andy

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Its hard to picture without seeing the problem PG , but if its still down in enough spots to where it cant be pulled back to glue it down , You can try some clear elmers glue in a syringe & shoot a little bit every few inches through the linoleum .

They make a very tiny hole & seals its self back up when you pull the needle out & press the loose spot down . Place a phone book on for weight & just do a small area at a time . Once you get the loose spots secured down caulk around the edge where it meets the tub/shower so no more moisture can get underneath .

You can buy the caulk in a squeze tube thats much handier then a caulking gun & there are several types of glue syringes available at any of the big box outlets , such as lowes or home depot . Heres ones I keep around but I also use a vetinary syringe more when I need a Smaller hole .

The main thing is make sure the surface underneath is good & dry so no mold will form under it , Can be done with a small fan to move the air & using a hair dryer on the lenolium to dry it out from underneath . Best of luck . :wink:

Amazon.com: Workshop Glue Injector: Home Improvement

Thank you Cowboy! :smile:
I've drawn a line to illustrate where the piece has come loose and curled back.
It's not that large an area.

bathroom.jpg

It's been last year since the problem happened with the water getting under the lino, and it wasn't really all that much, just enough to make it come loose.
The flooring underneath is all dry now.
The suggestion of re-gluing and using something heavy to hold it down, then a fresh line of caulk is the answer.

:thumb:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Thank you Cowboy! :smile:
I've drawn a line to illustrate where the piece has come loose and curled back.
It's not that large an area.

View attachment 49271

It's been last year since the problem happened with the water getting under the lino, and it wasn't really all that much, just enough to make it come loose.
The flooring underneath is all dry now.
The suggestion of re-gluing and using something heavy to hold it down, then a fresh line of caulk is the answer.

:thumb:

Your welcome & thanks for the pic , It doesn,t look near as bad as I was thinking so I,m sure you,ll be fine doing it that way . Good thing is that the floor underneath is good & dry . Best of luck PG . :flowers: