• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Well Cap May Bottle Oil Until Permanent Plug, BP Says

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Update . Seems BP wants to leave the cap on untill its plugged , but now the government wants to open it back up which could result in releasing more oil into the gulf for up to 3 day to releive the preasure before they can start contaiment again . Whats wrong with this picture :hammer:

Full article in the link

NEW ORLEANS -- BP hopes to keep using its giant stopper to block [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]oil[/COLOR][/COLOR] from reaching the Gulf of Mexico until they plug the blown out well permanently, the company said Sunday.
"No one associated with this whole activity ... wants to see any more oil flow into the Gulf of Mexico," said Doug Suttles, BP's chief operating officer. "Right now we don't have a target to return the well to flow."
Retired U.S. Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen outlined a different plan on Saturday, saying that after the test was complete, the cap would be hooked up through nearly a mile of pipes stretching to ships on the surface that will collect the oil.
But that would mean oil would have to be released back into the Gulf for three days to release pressure from the well, Suttles said. The oil giant hopes to instead keep the oil shut in until its permanent measure is completed, although Suttles said BP was taking it day by day.
It wasn't immediately clear if the plan had changed, or if BP and the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]government[/COLOR][/COLOR] disagreed about the next move. Allen will make the ultimate decision.

Both Allen and BP have said they don't know how long the trial run -- initially set to end Saturday -- will continue. Allen has extended it to Sunday afternoon, and could extend it again.
Unimpeded, the well spewed as much as 2.5 million gallons a day, according to the government's worst-case estimates. It's possible the oil has been depleted, and that's why pressure readings from the cap have been lower than anticipated, BP has said.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/17/gulf-waits-oil-plugged-long/

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Since neither BP or the Feds had much on the ball in this whole deal it is hard to believe either knows what they are doing. This is obviously uncharted territory but they should have had at least a basic plan of what to try if something like this occurred. A couple different design caps should have been built where it was not a big rush to build them. :hammer::hammer::hammer:

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
I would hope to leave the cap on and leave it sealed, till the relief well(s) can plug it at the source. BUT!

This just in:
Official: Seep found near BP's blown out oil well

NEW ORLEANS – A federal official said Sunday that scientists are concerned about a seep and possible methane seen near BP's busted oil well in the Gulf of Mexico.
Both could be signs there are leaks in the well that's been capped off for three days.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gulf_...Ec2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yeQRzbGsDb2ZmaWNpYWxzZWVw

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep , I agree Bill & good post Tom . I hadn,t been able to find anything new untill this morning . Nothing much new that isn,t in the article you posted Tom except this quote from the article in my link . Now its starting to make sence . The governments willing to release more oil into the gulf so they can find out how much has actually leaked so they can fine BP more money .

Seems the governments using BP,s checkbook just like the rest of our,s & i,m sure the money collected will be put to good use in some other country the assholes decide is in need of our help :hammer:

{Rep. Ed Markey, who has been a vocal critic of BP's response to the gusher, said Sunday that the company could have another motivation for wanting to keep the well capped.
"If the well remains fully shut in until the relief well is completed, we may never have a fully accurate determination of the flow rate from this well. If so, BP -- which has consistently underestimated the flow rate -- might evade billions of dollars of fines," Markey said in a letter to Allen released Sunday.
Using ships on the surface to collect 100 percent of the gushing oil would allow scientists to calculate the flow rate -- a figure that the government would use to determine how much to fine BP, Markey said.}

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/19/gulf.oil.disaster/index.html?hpt=T1

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
{Rep. Ed Markey, who has been a vocal critic of BP's response to the gusher, said Sunday that the company could have another motivation for wanting to keep the well capped.
"If the well remains fully shut in until the relief well is completed, we may never have a fully accurate determination of the flow rate from this well. If so, BP -- which has consistently underestimated the flow rate -- might evade billions of dollars of fines," Markey said in a letter to Allen released Sunday.
Using ships on the surface to collect 100 percent of the gushing oil would allow scientists to calculate the flow rate -- a figure that the government would use to determine how much to fine BP, Markey said.}http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/19/gulf.oil.disaster/index.html?hpt=T1

Knowing how oil companies think, I wouldn't deny that is a possibility but I tend to believe that BP is so friggin' thankful that the thing is capped and shut in that they don't want to mess with it until the relief well(s) are drilled and they begin to try to kill it.

As I understand it, the seep is two miles away from the well. That's a long way away for it to be coming from this particular well. It's not impossible but it would be a little unusual. It's much more usual for any communication with the surface to occur in the area immediately around the wellhead. BUT ... if the well is flowing underground it's possible that it may have found a fault that runs back to surface and the oil and gas is migrating up along the fault to the seabed. As I said, it's not usual but it's not impossible either.

They should know the composition of the oil coming out of the well, if they can catch a sample of the oil coming from the seep they can cross check it. If it's the same oil then it's almost certain that it's coming from the same place.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I read earlier that the seepage was oil from a different well. It was on yahoo news, but I did not save the link to the article.

btw - oil is always seeping from the ocean floor. All over the world. Even where no drilled wells exist. Oil eating microbes are not an endangered species.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I read earlier that the seepage was oil from a different well. It was on yahoo news, but I did not save the link to the article.

btw - oil is always seeping from the ocean floor. All over the world. Even where no drilled wells exist. Oil eating microbes are not an endangered species.

Yep I,ve seen several articles on the leak , Their calling new :whistling: . Most say its over 2 miles away . As You said if They,d look more I,m sure they,d find more .

I,ve also seen several smaller leaks from the ocian floor surrounding the oil well , way before they capped it on BP,s live camera weeks ago , Camera soon went dead , next camera to go live of coarse was in a different area & no leaks . Go figure :shifty: