• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

A question for you all

Is the Confederate flag in and of itself a racial slur?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No opinion

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 90.9%

• Total voters

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
This came up on another forum that I frequent. I thought I would ask it here since there are a lot of diverse opinions here.

Is the Confederate Flag in and of itself a racial slur?

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
In and of itself? No. It is, however, the standard of a culture that embraced and thrived on slavery. Understandably, celebrating it as a symbol of one's heritage can be very troubling, if not downright insulting, to some. Just my $.02.

Alonzo Tubbs

Carpe Diem
SUPER Site Supporter
I would have to disagree that it is the symbol of those who thrived on slavery. The Confedrerate flag normaly displayed which is the subject of controversy is the Confederate Battle Flag, the stars and bars. It is the symbol of one of the most gallant fighting forces assembled in the history of warfare, a fighting force devoid of politics but dedicated to driving an invading army from it's country. Those men fought when they hadn't been fed, fought with their feet unshod and fought even when out numbered 20-1. The ration of southern soldiers killed versus northern soldiers killed was 19-1. I don't believe it has been matched by any army since.

During the War of Union Agression, the Southern Liberation Forces acquitted themselves with honor and brought glory upon themselves still revered today within the former Confederate States of America.

It's a shame the standard of such gallantry has be stolen by the scum who try to hide behind it today- the Aryan Nation, the Ku Klux Klan and various gangs of white trash on wheels. It is coupled, by these same disgusting elements, with the swastika. They tarnish the glow of true heroism symbolized by our beloved standard as they create the illusion it is a symbol of racism. It is most certainly not.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Is the Confederate Flag in and of itself a racial slur?

It's a shame the standard of such gallantry has be stolen by the scum who try to hide behind it today- the Aryan Nation, the Ku Klux Klan and various gangs of white trash on wheels. It is coupled, by these same disgusting elements, with the swastika. They tarnish the glow of true heroism symbolized by our beloved standard as they create the illusion it is a symbol of racism. It is most certainly not.
Alonzo, well said. I think General Lee is respected North and South as a courageous leader, for one example.

But I think you have to consider the views of Black Americans alongside the descendants of those brave soldiers in thinking about this question. I expect most who understand their own history look back to the absolute brutality it required for the White slaveowners, particularly when they were outnumbered by their slaves, to keep control over their property. To anyone contemplating that, any symbol of the old order is probably a symbol they would like to see left behind - whether or not anyone today agrees with the White Supremacists you mentioned.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I would have to disagree that it is the symbol of those who thrived on slavery. The Confedrerate flag normaly displayed which is the subject of controversy is the Confederate Battle Flag, the stars and bars. It is the symbol of one of the most gallant fighting forces assembled in the history of warfare, a fighting force devoid of politics but dedicated to driving an invading army from it's country. Those men fought when they hadn't been fed, fought with their feet unshod and fought even when out numbered 20-1. The ration of southern soldiers killed versus northern soldiers killed was 19-1. I don't believe it has been matched by any army since.

During the War of Union Agression, the Southern Liberation Forces acquitted themselves with honor and brought glory upon themselves still revered today within the former Confederate States of America.

:smile::applause:

Alonzo Tubbs

Carpe Diem
SUPER Site Supporter
California:
To try and consider the views of black folk (on this or any other subject not including sports, music and how to beat the system) you must first realise they know nothing of their history and don't want to learn. Black history as taught to the few that actually attend school is a joke- fanciful dreams from the minds of those who also know nothing. African immigrants to the US have little or no use for home grown black folk because they consider them ignorant whinners who actually try to compare life in the US today to south east Africa during British rule or South Africa under apartitide (sp).
It becomes so frustrating to listen to and try to teach American black folk their own history. African history is impossible. For example, most have no idea that the slavers were African blacks led by Arabs (the Arabs are still at it in Sudan and I assume other places). They believe white men went into the bush and captured slaves for sale. A two minute read of any of the old explorers manuscripts will teach them no white man except a military force dared venture into the tribal controled areas of the bush.
(Read: The African Adventurers by Peter Hatway Capstick, Part Three: John Boyes)
They don't realise the spread of Islam was largely because the Koran forbids the enslavement of a Muslim. Whaddaya say, junior? Islam or the cane fields of South America? Well kiss my butt and call me Mohamid, you converted me!
So many of the people so dear to my heart are black folk from the south. Salt of the earth, hard working folk who want nothing but the best for their families but let a black Baptist preacher tell them rain's hot and sun's cold and it's in their brain forever.
That's why I don't worry too much about the REPORTED feelings of black folk. Most could give a damn about the flag. The furor is raised by the hood rats in the city who have nothing to be proud of, won't lift a finger to help themselves and spurn any who try to escape the life they have created or had foisted upon them by those who created it.
The ones you see and hear don't count. Those do count don't care one way or the other.
One last recommended read: Remembering Slavery, published in conjunction with the Library of Congress. A compilation of interviews with former slaves about their experiences as slaves and emancipation.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
<snip>
The ration of southern soldiers killed versus northern soldiers killed was 19-1. I don't believe it has been matched by any army since.
<snip>

Hmmmm, not so sure it was matched even by the Confeds... :whistling: (yankee doodle)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War

untitled.JPG

benspawpaw

well put tubbs

some people can spoil anything. all you have to do is watch the news to see what some nutjob will do in the name of god, and say it is ok cause i did it in the name of god. just because he did something stupid does not cast a shadow on gods holy name.

ncroamer65

Just a point of clarification about Confederate "flags".

The Confederate Gov. ended up with 3 varations of a flag for their
orgaination during the 4 1/2 to 5 years it exsisted.

The Stars and bars was adopted by the Confederate Army as a field
marker to let their soldiers know which side was where.

eBay has a section of flags that include the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd verisions