• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Don't forget your smoke detectors tonite

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Murph posted about clocks tonite. Here is a reminder to do a little more work while you are at it.

Check all your smoke detectors when you change your clocks.

1 - check and/or replace the batteries. In our area, we (FD) recommend replacing batteries at the spring and fall time changes. Batteries should last far longer than 6 months, but it is cheap insurance.

line power/110v detectors have test/check modes too; check them all

2 - Clean/dust the smoke detector as recommended by the manufacturer.

3 - Replace smoke detector as required. Most smoke detectors have between a 5 and 10 year effective lifetime.

4 - If you don't have smoke detectors, get some...

Check with your local fire department for regional or local requirements, or if you need help. They can also give recommendations for placement, and type of detector.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Mine goes off all the time while I grill or saute. Im ripping it off the ceiling and running the damn thing over with my car! :soapbox:

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I'm usually not(never) this serious on the internet, but reposition it a couple of feet...

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/fullstory.php?61030

http://www.sharon-herald.com/homepage/local_story_065222318.html

There's too many other stories like this.

If one smoke detector saves even just one life, FF or civilian, they are worth the aggravation they can occasionally cause.

Mine goes off all the time while I grill or saute. Im ripping it off the ceiling and running the damn thing over with my car! :soapbox:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I agree. I cant rip mine off anyhow. I live in a apartment and the thing is hardwired. IRONICALLY.............................. AS I AM typing this the damn fire alarm JUST went off!!!!!!! :4_11_9: What are the chances!?!?!?!?
Im not going anywhere though. We get these false alarms all the time. :mad:

I found this photo on the link you provided. I wonder what happened :smileywac

36152.jpg

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I found this photo on the link you provided. I wonder what happened :smileywac

They were doing a drafting operation, and either it jumped gear, or they did not chock the wheels properly. All the hard suction hose is off the engine.

Most of the time, an engine or truck will get pressurized water from a hydrant. In rural area's though, it is common to "draft" water from ponds, creeks, lakes, streams. When done properly, most can pump 1250-1500 gallons of water a minute(capacity of the pump). Although they can pump that much from a hydrant, not all municipal water systems can provide that much water on all hydrants.

Drafting requires a large diameter hard rubber hose(soft hose would collapse). On most all apparatus, you'll see 20' of hard suction hose. If you get farther than 20' away, or the water is 5-10' below the pump, it is very hard to impossible to start the draft(I'd have to look up exact numbers...). Anyways, you have to be really close to the water source.

That engine crew will never live this down. The engine was probably fine after everything dried out, but something like that is very very embarrassing:poke: Especially when there are pictures:bonk:

urednecku

Site Supporter
I agree the "false alarms" are very frustrating. But, please do NOT disable the alarm. I spent 15 years as a fire/rescue volunteer (I could not afford the drop in pay to go full time.), My brother retired a couple of years ago with about 30 years full time, including several years as chief. We had a saying.." we would rather go out on 100 calls, and it be nothing, than not to get the 1 call in time."

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I could not afford the drop in pay to go full time.

Our FFs get about $65k year with killer benefits. Im guessing the taxes arent too high over there and the population is much smaller? :idea:

They were doing a drafting operation, and either it jumped gear, or they did not chock the wheels properly.

Maybe its a new model that doesnt need a hose. You drive it into a lake and it gets filled up! :yum:

urednecku

Site Supporter
Our FFs get about $65k year with killer benefits. Im guessing the taxes arent too high over there and the population is much smaller? :idea:

Maybe its a new model that doesnt need a hose. You drive it into a lake and it gets filled up! :yum:

Yea, a small county dept. I can't remember the pay at the time, I think now it's mabe 30k or so. But you had to be certified firefighter to be hired. Now, you have to be duel-certified, fire-fighter/EMT minimum, to even be considered for employement. A few years ago that was, I think, about 480 hours, EACH. And those schools ain't cheep, either.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
man thats nuts! You spend your time and money and they dont pay much. What about a pension? Im sure the health/dental/vision insurance is the best you can get though.

urednecku

Site Supporter
I think their ins. is pretty good. I know the State of Fl. ins. is good. Most county's, and city's too, are on the State Retirement system. It is OK, but could be better. For one thing, after retirement, your insurance goes out the window. They give ya just enough to go to your ins to say they give something. Can't recall exactly, but I think it amounts to about 150 or 200 a month. You got any idea what full coverage medical insurance for a family costs?? :4_11_9:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I sure do! Thats why Im for universal health coverage. Too many folks suffer. Alas, this country needs a doctor to work on the economy thats sick first.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
man thats nuts! You spend your time and money and they dont pay much. What about a pension? Im sure the health/dental/vision insurance is the best you can get though.

Funny how that works, huh? Our soldiers, firefighters, police, put their lives on the line, for modest pay(at least compared to many high-tech positions).

Pay depends on where you're at and what you are doing.

Myself, and many many others across the country volunteer. We do not get paid. Our districts usually have insurance for when we are on call. It's community involvement, and love of the job.

For the paid guys, the pay depends on location. Out in the sticks, it aint so good. In the big cities, it can be good.

EMT-B is a 5 unit semester class. EMT-P(Paramedic) is a minimum year long endeavor. Six months in class, 2 months in an ER, and 4 months on a medic unit.

If you hire full time, it is a complete academy(volunteer academies are a compressed version, at least in my area).

Many cities want Paramedics, and Firefighter Paramedic.

In general, 75-85% of the calls overall are medical. So, EMT-B or EMT-P is very important.

Kwiens

I was a volunteer fireman for about 15 years. Our Chief always said the difference in volunteers versus paid departments wasn't in training. The paid fireman were paid to wait for the fire whistle.

K

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I had a cousin that was a police officer. He said that FFs were better at cooking than fighting fires. :smileywac

urednecku

Site Supporter
We claimed to use the cops to tell if a scene was safe to go in. It seemed they would just run right in on any kind of wreck or incident, not knowing what was involved. We were told "IF YOU DON'T KNOW, DON'T GO, IT MIGHT BLOW." That kept me out of trouble several times. Some trucks, even small ones or vans, may be transporting stuff you do NOT want to get on you, or to breath the vapors of.
An example, there was a load of amonia nitrate turned over. The truck fuel tank was leaking. Yup, when the fire dept. arrived on scene, a county cop was there, directing traffic THRU the AN spill. Three things will set off AN and fuel mixture: heat, impact, or FRICTION. (Anybody remember Oklahama City?) All we can say, is GOD was with him.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Some trucks, even small ones or vans, may be transporting stuff y

Nowadays, ya really gotta watch for those little hydraulic cylinders used to hold the trunk, hood etc open. They will explode, and send the rod inside flying. Also, new hybrids like the Prius add another thing to the equation - lots of electric power; major shock hazard...

That's not even counting on what the car/truck/van is hauling.