• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Neighbors dogs barking

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes - The bark collars did work for as long as he would keep them on.

The dogs are older now and seem to only bark when there is a reason.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
If you have local PD then there are probably barking rules in your community. I only suggested the sherriff because I figured you were outside of any local jurisdiciton. But since you are not, that typically means more rules and restrictions, especially concerning animals.

I'd check with the local PD. As for building the structure, no reason to make an anonomous tip.

I agree with Bob . Turn their ass in . I called the cops at 2 AM in the morning about my old nieghbors dogs . They came right out ,The nieghbors did not like getting a visit from the police at 2 AM .
My last nieghbor had 9 dogs and was a asshole and a cop so I would just speed dial his phone at whatever time the dogs woke me up and say " Good Morning ", Your dogs woke me up , want to come over for coffee?! :biggrin:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Begin rant:
The neighbor's dogs bark for hours on end. It's getting VERY old.
Can't open the windows at night.
Others in the area are ready to feed them antifreeze.
Owners don't seem to care (as they can shut them up when they want).

End rant

So, does anyone know of a product that works to stop them?
I see there's products that emit untrasonic or other tones that activate when the dogs bark. Do they work?
From where I would mount it, I only need it to go about 50-75' to reach the dogs.
Are there AC versions or do they all run off batteries?
I'm looking for an automatic one as I wouldn't want to activate it via a FOB to make it work.

Any help GREATLY appreciated.

I dealt with this madness for about 10 months myself but the dogs (11 of them) only barked during the day, not at night. But that was bad enough and would wear on your nerves while you wondered what the hell was wrong with these people that they would be so inconsiderate. It really didn’t bother him that much because he was at work all day so he wasn’t exposed to it. I went over to talk with him but he told me to “get over it, this is the mountains boy and that’s just the way it is.”

Round 1, the subtle approach fails.

I bought a "Dog Silencer Pro" which is non-intrusive device that issues a high pitched squeal well above the frequency that humans can hear but right in the area that animals (dogs) can hear. Didn’t even faze them. So I opted for more output and hooked it up to a 1,000 watt amp. Nope… still no good.

One Sunday morning I was lying in bed, listening to his dogs barking. I head the sharp “crack” of a 22 pistol and the dogs stopped barking! And I thought… maybe…. just maybe he got tired of hearing it too and put a permanent end to the noise. But no, that wasn’t the case. Turns out that the dogs would stop barking when someone shoots a gun! So I figured I’ll just do the same thing myself next time.

Dogs start barking again and I stepped out on the back deck and fired my 45. Dog stopped barking… but not for long. And so the endless loop starts. Dog barks, I shoot. Dog barks, I shoot. Pretty soon the neighbor comes out on his deck and yells at me to stop shooting or else. So I fire off 10-15 rounds of 5.45X39 which echoed throughout the mountains. And he responds with a set of his own. Not to be outdone, I fire off a few more rounds. He yells some obscenities and disappears into his trailer.

30 minutes later the law arrives. Poor guys had no idea what was going on or what they were walking into, all they knew was shots were being fired between to pissed off mountain men. There were a few tense moments while we got to know each other but after I explained what was going on they were a little more relaxed. Not sure relaxed is the right word, but at least they put their guns away. They went over to the neighbor’s house and discussed current events with him too, and then they left.

Dogs started barking again an hour later.

Round 2, payback begins.

I went to Lowes and bought some outdoor speakers which I mounted in the trees pointing at his trailer. Then I recorded his dogs while they barked all day and that night I hooked the speakers to my PC (where several hours of real-time dog barking was recorded), cranked up the volume and let it play for the rest of the night. He fired his gun several times before he realized it wasn’t really his dogs barking. Yes, it bothered me too but I found a certain peace in knowing that he was getting some of his own medicine. You have to appreciate the irony of keeping someone awake with their own dogs…

During the day I change the “barking.mp3” to a horribly loud “squealing.mp3” sound. This wasn’t the high pitched sound that the Dog Silencer Pro emitted, oh hell no. This was a nasty, piercing, ear splitting sound that would make you want to cover your ears and get away from it. I cranked it up LOUD and there was no way to hide from it. As bad as it was for them, it was barely noticeable to us as the direction of the speakers pointed it away from our cabin. It was bad on his dogs too because they would retreat into their house (a 10X10 shed that he had built for them) and wouldn’t come out. I felt bad for the dogs; after all it wasn’t really their fault that nobody taught them good manners. But the barking ended and my neighbor started to realize that we were going to do whatever it took to get his dogs to stop barking.

Things were quite tense as you can imagine. One day a mutual friend came up to the cabin to have a beer and chat. (He was actually there as a mediator but he never admitted to it.) I found out that the neighbor had taken offence to the way I had talked to him back in the beginning and that was why he was unwilling to work with me. Or at least that was what the neighbor was telling him. I asked Tom to apologize for me and tell them that if I was rude it was unintentional.

Several days later the dogs were gone. I heard they are living at his dads house, somewhere on the other side of the mountain. Shortly after the dogs departure some of the other neighbors on the mountain started going out of their way to waive at me when they drove down the main road. My guess is they were tired of the dog barking too, but nobody else was willing to take on the fight.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Poobah,

You do realize this thread is 5 1/2 years old, right? It's a bit late for this particular case.

Well Geez! I just wanted to think about proper actions to take for a while . Nobody ever said there were time limits !:ermm:
I don't think fast ...:biggrin: