• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Is your house approaching 15-20 years old?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If so, get ready... It's about time to replace everything.

Our house was built in 1990-91. In the last couple years, I've replaced:
All the flooring
Roof(s)
Skylights
Kitchen counters
Wood stoves
Hot water tank
Faucets/toilet innards
All kitchen appliances
Garage door openers and track rollers
Re-stain and seal all the woodwork, re-paint everything.
Who knows what else.

Mattresses, washer and dryer will come due soon. Some exterior doors are due as well.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Now that you mention it, except the H/W tank, they were all by her choice.

EDIT TO ADD: After thinking about it, should I change the title to "Is your marriage approaching 15-20 years old?"

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Lesssee, built in '91, in the last 7 years:

Roof
Bathroom fixtures and countertops
New stainless Kitchen
added a wine cooler and an ice maker
Granite counter tops
Water Heater (tankless-woot!)
about 1/2 of the thermopanes
Entrance door and screen
Other exterior door
washer/dryer
all interior door hardware (went to brushed nickel)
sea wall and sidewalk
new fireplace insert
installed a fireplace in the master - talk about having fun running gas!
replaced every switch and outlet with Decora style
ran new electric to various places

on the to-do list
New HVAC by summer 2011
Replace the upper two floors carpeting
replace first floor carpeting with Bamboo
pour a concrete floor in crawlspace
completely redo master bath layout
replace bathroom glass blocks with a casement window
Possibly replace wooden stair case railing with a boat-themed stainless and cable railing system

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
The cracker box palace is 7 years old.
Everything in it came with it as far as major appliances, the furnace/ac had a few problems a while ago, and the bath tub cracked, other than that.. it's just fine. ;)

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Just wait until your house is 100+. You think things are going wrong with your baby houses?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Just wait until your house is 100+. You think things are going wrong with your baby houses?

Our first. Long story short - the only thing that was original when my wife and I got done with it was the bricks (3 deep), and the foundation. And we actually made money on it when we sold. Ahhh, the good ol' days.....

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter

I agree with Dave. My house is sitting at 84 years old and I think I'm doing pretty good at keeping up with the monthly repairs.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I agree with Dave. My house is sitting at 84 years old and I think I'm doing pretty good at keeping up with the monthly repairs.

At 20 years old a house is just starting to get comfortable , like a old pair of shoes .

The one we are making the big move to in Idaho is over 130 years old on the main part .It is log framed . When I bought the place and started to remodel it we realized that it had 13 additions added to it through the years . It would have been easier to tear it down and start over but I only have myself to blame for trying to save it . We torn off 6 additions and added a covered front porch . Ceilings were raised and bathrooms were added . Nothing was left undone by the time we were done. I think it is about 1400 sq. ft. and we love it . Heres a before and after picture .

Attachments

• Idaho house 002.jpg
    Idaho house 002.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 19
  • elk city 003.jpg
    elk city 003.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 14

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
16 years old and I'm pretty happy with what we did. Spent a lot the first time around and got most things right.

EXTERIOR:
Replaced the roof this year.
Painted the whole house a few years ago.
Thinking about replacing the front door?

KITCHEN:
Over the past few years the kitchen counter tops, cook top and dishwasher were replaced but the double oven is doing fine.

MASTER BATH:
Tore out custom marble shower, installed new custom porcelain & marble shower due to leaking door frame and cracks. New frameless glass door was $1800 and worth every penny (or so says my wife) :whistling:

MECHANICALS:
Water heater, furnace, AC, etc all working fine, but I did replace the water softener a few years ago.

FOR THE HECK OF IT:
Removed 153 truckloads of dirt from the back yard, dug a hole and leveled the ground, put in a new swimming pool surrounded by some amount of concrete that is still leaving the neighbors wondering and a block wall that wraps the pool area with about 120' of decorative block up to 6' tall on the long wall.

STILL IN PROGRESS:
Pool house with "Tiki Bar" theme and converting my 2.5 car workshop to a 5.5 car workshop with an 'in-law' apartment over the top. Adding another driveway, building more fencing, filling in the old swimming pool, etc etc etc