• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Heat Pump Question for Murph

jwstewar

When we built the new house 2 1/2 years ago. The builder installed a 4-ton Heat Pump and 92% furnace. Both Lennox brand. It was installed by a dealer about an hour away.

This past spring we had an issue. It wouldn't switch from heat to cooling. I called the installing dealer. They were going to charge a fee for having to drive so far since labor was no longer warrantied. I called a local dealer that I thought was a Lennox dealer (they installed one in Mom & Dad's house in '05). We also had them install the heat pump in our house that burned also in '05. Was happy with their work then. They came out in the spring and said the "Expansion Valve" was bad. Charged about $250 to fix it, including a $30 warranty handling fee since they didn't do the install. The unit "worked" all summer, but just never the house temp never felt right.

Last week we flipped it over to heat. Heat pump came on. But then I kept hearing the furnace kick on. Now at 50+ degrees, we shouldn't be dropping back to the gas furnace. I called the same company. That is when I found out they are no longer a Lennox dealer. I scheduled an appointment, but then called another company that is a Lennox dealer. They were there within an hour. He started checking stuff and really starting getting confused. Said it was acting like the compressor was locked up. Kept checking stuff. Then he finally checked that expansion valve. He opened it up, said that they installed a R410A expansion valve (I saw the label) into an R22 (again I saw the label) and they burned the compressor up. He then said we were probably kicking a thermal switch all summer and that we probably had a high electric bill. We did. $400 a month and last summer was $200. Does this all sound feasible?

I then called the first company back. At first they were saying this wasn't possible to do. Then they were saying, it wouldn't hurt the compressor. Then when they finally came out on Friday. They were real apologetic and saying they will get a new compressor, change the valve, and cover all costs. Plus will give me 2 years of spring/fall service. So it sounds like they are being reasonable and fair. I just want to make sure, that what I'm hearing from company 'B' is accurate so that I can make sure I can hold company 'A' liable should they try to back out on something once they get their to actually do the parts. Just seems funny they denied it, then all of a sudden were yep, well do this, this, and this.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
So I get this straight, company A is the one that installed the wrong expansion valve and after another company looked at it company A is going to replace the compressor, expansion valve and the labor/material to get you up and running again?? If so I think they are backing up their service pretty good.

Having the wrong expansion valve can cause compressor problems especially when going from R22 to 410 and for that long of a duration. I am surprised that you had any cooling at all. As for doing harm to the rest of the system I would think not.

I hope I answered your question?

Last edited:

jwstewar

Yep, you got it Murph. Company A screwed it up and are now the ones replacing the parts. I agree, I think they are standing behind it pretty good. You are saying the same thing Company B did. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable to them and "blaming" them for a part failure. And also just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else that I should have them do or check. At these point, we aren't 100% sure which freon he put in the system.

Thank you for your answer.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Yep, you got it Murph. Company A screwed it up and are now the ones replacing the parts. I agree, I think they are standing behind it pretty good. You are saying the same thing Company B did. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable to them and "blaming" them for a part failure. And also just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else that I should have them do or check. At these point, we aren't 100% sure which freon he put in the system.

Thank you for your answer.

Wrong valve and wrong refrigerant is a no no. Your original system was designed R22 I am thinking and therefore compressor was not designed to handle R410

BRGTold

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
And if your Line set is not replaced..Your new system is contamitated..nitregen blow out might be ok...but i would not go for it......