• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Last two weeks fun.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
haven't posted much since my trip west. I just didn't have anything interesting to say. I just took another 2 weeks off to work on a project that has been delayed for 2 years. Last year's 300' drainpipe took precedence.

I'm working on my landscaping, when you can't afford to hire you do it yourself.
My lot slopes down to the house and I have no flat area for a lawn for sitting.
A few years back I decided if I build a retaining wall 36" to 40" high and fill to the garage I can have a sitting area, I also want a fire pit.

My wife and I like the rustic look which makes my life a lot easier. My place is all granite boulders everywhere so rough stone will fit right in.

The first week, with the help of a friend I did the wall, about 60' I started a set of stairs and poured a pad for the fire pit. the pit is built into the wall so I can use it for cooking from the front and once the I back fill the yard we can sit around a fire in the ground.

Here are some pics

Attachments

• bare stones (Medium).jpg
    bare stones (Medium).jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 27
  • stairs and cobble.jpg
    stairs and cobble.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 27
  • stairs.jpg
    stairs.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 27
  • pad.jpg
    pad.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 27
  • pit part.jpg
    pit part.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 27
  • pit wall.jpg
    pit wall.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 27

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
This is the pallet of slate I bought to stuff into all the cracks of the wall to stabilize it pefore pointing. the last is a photo of the completed wall. The pit has good color one the mortar dust washes off.

the next shots I took while sitting on the deck watching the hummingbirds coming to feed.

Please be kind :whistling: as I've never done this before and will never do it again.

Attachments

• slate.jpg
    slate.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 26
  • whole wall.jpg
    whole wall.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 26
  • bird1.jpg
    bird1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 26
  • bird 2.jpg
    bird 2.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 25
  • bird3.jpg
    bird3.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 25
  • bird4.jpg
    bird4.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 22

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
It looks great to Me RoadKing , Thanks for sharing the pics & great job so far :clap:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm impressed. I'm really impressed. It looks GOOD.

When I was a kid back in Scotland I used to spend part of my summer with an uncle who leased a "small holding", a small farm. He ran a few dairy cows and other things. One summer I helped him repair a "dry stane dyke". Now I can't remember much about the wall but I do remember the slow, tedious, backbreaking work involved. That made quite an impression on a 10-year old and that's why I said that I was impressed. Kudos to you.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
Thanks for the positive feedback. Believe me it's appreciated. I'm hoping to get back up in Sept and fill the cracks with the slate and start pointing. A friend of mine is welding a grate for the pit, a 38" diameter piece of fire escape grate on 20" legs to sit inside the pit and lift the fire up. I stoned around a 4 by 4 to vent the pit you can see the hole at the bottom left. I don't think I'll be filling until next spring. One thing at a time I guess. Thanks again!

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
Nice work RK! :thumb: You probably need a few of these: :beer:

If you ever get over this way You're welcome and I'll even take down my "Canadian" flag while your here.:yum::yum:

Attachments

• July 4 08 028 (Medium).JPG
    July 4 08 028 (Medium).JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 11