• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Well It's official; WE ARE DOWNSIZING AGAIN

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Had A meeting with the boss. Usual lunch at our usual daily Italian spot. But, this time we did talk business.

Time to begin paring down the company. I'm 70 and she is going on 65. The time spent on managing and paper work just ain't worth it anymore so we are making plans to reduce size 35% by the first of 2017. And likely another 30% again mid year.

One of our Clients is about 35% of our business. So we hope to sell them those lines turn key for their work in their house. We have a meet next week to parly.palaver & pow-wow, to make the financials.

One part of our operation uses a base machine and is outmost profitable product. Fact of the matter if we only ran that line we would net more money. But it is WAL-MART work. That could stop cold overnite without warning.

But it makes enough margin to pay out the lease while we sell assets. Looks like I'm finally going to get time to build the ranch after all and then go fishing.
Or get one of those tiny houses but with a with a rudder and sails.

I like this one
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/28359

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
At your ages it's time to enjoy the years you have left, Franc. Go have fun!!
Mike

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Exactly. You never know when tomorrow won't come anymore. Enjoy it while you can and still have your health to do so.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
The Problem is,,,; Deep down,,, I really don't want too.

But, yes, it is time.

So, our goal now is to find homes for all our machinery and jobs for our loyal staff. Actually, that could be fun :clap: I think.:unsure:

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Franc, you are great folks to work hard to find jobs for your employees. A lot of outfits would just say "Here's your last check, goodbye".
Mike

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck Franc. As you know, I did it a few years ago, it doesn't suck. :)

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Take care of those peeps that helped you become successful!
Good Luck!

Sailboat, well, hmmm, ahh, I'm at a loss of words.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Take care of those peeps that helped you become successful!
Good Luck!

Sailboat, well, hmmm, ahh, I'm at a loss of words.

I've always favored sailing over the stink pot boats. However, it is hard to water ski at 7 knots. So I still have two ski boats. A Glastron GT150 with 75 hp merc on the back and a 15 foot Vampire undergoing intensive surgery for termites ion the stern.

My son has a 27 ft Maxum on the Connecticut river near Hartford. we bought him last year. I want to park a 40 to 49 footer in a slip next to his. Summertime at the marina, winter in the Keys,,,,,; or the Windwards
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=71299

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Problem is,,,; Deep down,,, I really don't want too.

But, yes, it is time.

So, our goal now is to find homes for all our machinery and jobs for our loyal staff. Actually, that could be fun :clap: I think.:unsure:

I think when the day comes for anyone to slow down, it's a tough nut to break. Habits, work being one of them are slow to change. Most I know who are retired claim to be as busy, if not more so than before they retired. Those who choose not to stay busy don't seem to fair as well, IMHO..

I used to rarely think of retirement. But I have noticed that now days I tend to frame things with that far off day in mind. I hope to stay involved but in a lessor capacity than I now am. Sort of an easing into retirement is how I picture it. Who really knows how it will be 10-15 years out. I don't seem to be able to see much more than 6 months ahead with any surity..

Good luck with this transition in your lives. :flowers:

I think you will be fine. You have that Dodge truck to outlast, and keep running. :whistling:

Regards, Kirk

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Franc

I knew a guy that had a 80 foot aluminum Palmer Johnson. Power everything. Even the cabin drapes. Big gigantic electropolished stainless steel capstans, all computer controlled. It was a nice boat

Not all sailboats are bad. Get over 45 foot, I'm ok with them. So go for the 48. Besides the bigger they are, the faster they get.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've always favored sailing over the stink pot boats. However, it is hard to water ski at 7 knots. So I still have two ski boats. A Glastron GT150 with 75 hp merc on the back and a 15 foot Vampire undergoing intensive surgery for termites ion the stern.

My son has a 27 ft Maxum on the Connecticut river near Hartford. we bought him last year. I want to park a 40 to 49 footer in a slip next to his. Summertime at the marina, winter in the Keys,,,,,; or the Windwards
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=71299
Congrats. Sounds like a great plan. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Good luck Franc i wish you and your wife all the best.:flowers:

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Franc

I knew a guy that had a 80 foot aluminum Palmer Johnson. Power everything. Even the cabin drapes. Big gigantic electropolished stainless steel capstans, all computer controlled. It was a nice boat

Not all sailboats are bad. Get over 45 foot, I'm ok with them. So go for the 48. Besides the bigger they are, the faster they get.
A couple of things. I love sailing had two boats one a 24 footer and one a blue water 27 footer. both sloops.

I want to stay under 50 foot. Over 50' gets expensive in many harbors. And it's not about handling, it is about work. A larger boat with lots of gadgets is just more work. I want a smaller vessel with less complicated systems.

Two speed winches and yes, an electric capstan. It just makes dropping the hook easier and get it up more likely. But that's it.

My biggest worry is the height of the mast. Anything up there needs fixing and nothing is between you and the deck but a canvas Boson's chair...; Scary:w00t2::w00t2::w00t2:

Learning how to fly is not on my bucket list.:whistling:

marchplumber

Site Supporter
congrats on your choice. I don't know much about "moderation" so, would jump into retirement with all the gusto I could muster! It's a ways away for me, but the thought does enter the grey matter now and then.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Another question.

I'm familar with Perkins and Yanmar auxiliary engines. Whats a Westerbeke?

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Another question.

I'm familar with Perkins and Yanmar auxiliary engines. Whats a Westerbeke?

Westerbeke is famous for large diesel marine power. And land based generators. Westerbeke 55's are often in off shore racers and blue water fishing craft. I'm mot familiar with there smaller sail auxiliary power plants but the Westerbeke brand has an excellent reputation.
http://boatdiesel.com/Engines/Westerbeke/Westerbeke.cfm

I had a Volvo Penta sail drive in my Tanzer 27. A little more drag in the water but excellent maneuverability in close quarters, like a marina. I like that they don't have a stuffing box and the driveshaft runs parallel to the water line and centerline of the boat.

My son is entrenched in NE CT. The sea is close by and a good many summer harbors in RI. Me, I'm happy in AVA MO for my final years trout fishing in cold creeks and such. But Grandma has her sight set on the grandkids and Danielson CT. I cannot imagine living in a blue state so,,,,,,, We'll see how this ends.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Franc

I found this one which meets your specifications.
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/52878
All control lines lead to the helm and the Capstan is electric remote.

At 43 foot she'll sail just fine at about 8 knots.

Location is good, no delivery charges. I could just sail her right to Hartford in a day.
Priced a little high for it's age but..........

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
A well cared for vessel is always worth every penny and that one looks very well cared for. Bright work is nice. Well rigged. Newer electronics.
Nice looking and a well respected builder.

It gets this power boater seal of approval.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I found this one which meets your specifications.
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/52878
All control lines lead to the helm and the Capstan is electric remote.

At 43 foot she'll sail just fine at about 8 knots.

Location is good, no delivery charges. I could just sail her right to Hartford in a day.
Priced a little high for it's age but..........
Wow. Very nice. One could live on that boat pretty easily. :thumb: