• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Help a refugee?

Would you help a refuee?

• Yes, I would!

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • No, I wouldn't.

Votes: 19 63.3%

• Total voters

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
There is no such thing as am"radical" Muslim, there are only Muslims. All of them are schooled/indoctrinated from the same book, just as Christians are schooled/indoctrinated from their same book. One only needs to see that the Muslim book demands allegiance to allah and the prophet, and the penalty for not doing so is simple...DEATH! No ifs, ands or buts...just DEATH! Not so the Christian book.

There is no such thing as a "moderate" Muslim. You are either a follower of Islam or you are an infidel.

Christians are their own worst enemy, and will ultimately lead to their death at the hands of those who they "feel" sorry for. I have no pity for those who are too ignorant to embrace the truth when it's staring you right in the face. Their "leaders" are among the liberal mindset, and will lead their congregations to the slaughter while singing hymns and psalms.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Now if we are talking about the middle eastern Christians this would be a topic to discuss. But we aren't. They are being left in that hell by our governments (again under the guise of political correctness) to be torchered to death.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Just thought I'd share an update. Our church did partner with about 10 other churches to sponsor a family of 4 syrians. Its taken this long for them to past the screening to get here. And they still aren't here. I was part of a small committee from our church doing fundraising but dropped out after a couple meetings. So I really don't have anything to do with it.
Just another thing to add. Our neighbors have relatives in Syria. They personally sponsored to get their relatives over here. Now, before you all say they are supporting freeloaders coming over, yes they helped get them here but after a short time being here, the refugees have now BOUGHT a home. And started a business. A small restaurant. So they are no longer freeloading off the system. How many people here are proffesional welfare recipients? Lifetime people who know how to manipulate the system to live the same lifestyle on our dime. Now I realize not all refugees will be able to do as good in such a short period of time but its hopefull to see we won't be supporting these ones for life such as the lowlives here with no ambition.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW I think a lot of folks here are acting like intolerant bigots with preconceived notions about entire groups of people.

I have friends of many nationalities and religions. I have relatives who are Christian, Atheist and Muslim.

The question posed was pretty simple. Would you help someone? People jumped all over it and presumed the people coming over were Muslim ... but that was never stated. What if the Church group was sponsoring Christians who were fleeing persecution from ISIS would that make a difference? We don't know if the people coming over are even people of faith, any faith.

Lecturing? Sorry if you take it that way but it seems to me people need to read the question without their preconceived notions getting in the way.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW I think a lot of folks here are acting like intolerant bigots with preconceived notions about entire groups of people.

I have friends of many nationalities and religions. I have relatives who are Christian, Atheist and Muslim....

...and just how many of your friends chop peoples heads off or burn them alive as they chant "Allah Akbar"?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
...and just how many of your friends chop peoples heads off or burn them alive as they chant "Allah Akbar"?

None.

But some of my Christian friends have done some very bad things and had to serve time.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
No, I will NOT. Charity begins at home. There are plenty enough war veterans struggling with injuuries, PTSD and other mental disorders along with our elderly who daily have to make hard decisions on whether to buy food or buy meds. That is where my charitable contributions go.

The other way around those Syrians would have shot every one of us trying to get into their country. If we did get in, would we be handed free EBT cards, free housing, free health care, free education, free child care, free dental care, free clothing? Then get to vote in their next election and tell the people they need to change their culture to conform with our standards of living? I think we all know the answer to that.

Am I an intolerant bigot? None of my damn business what other people may think of me.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No, I will NOT. Charity begins at home. There are plenty enough war veterans struggling with injuries....
Oh I agree. We should start at home.

AND you make some bold statements that have little to no basis in fact.

BUT the original post said it was happening, regardless of what anyone believe it is happening. So now there is a situation with BOTH a new refugee and a war vet. Both need help. As a % there are only a tiny amount of refugees compared to the vets. We can all complain about the government failures, its proof that private charity should be encouraged and that the government can NOT solve our problems.

Still a fact that the refugee is here in the scenario that was outlined. Still a fact that the refugee needs help. Still a fact that the vet needs help too. What if the refugee is a Syrian Christian?

rugerman

Sorry but I say no! Because there are way to many people that are citizens of this country that need help that should be given priority over foreign people. How many vets are there that are in need of a place to stay, how many elderly are living and having to decide on buying their meds or food, how many kids whose parents have abandoned them or just don't give a damn are out there in need of help? Why should foreigners be given our resources when these people who are citizens are also in need. How big is this country's national debt? Sorry but for me it's a easy decision.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I have to agree with Melensdad and Brian, the question was posed directly at what would you do, nothing else. Yes, there are concerns to consider, but as a Christian, I can not turn my back on someone in need, just because they are of a different religion, or color.

I have family members in the military and God forbid anything happening to them, and I would hope that our country would take care of our homeless and military members first, but that does not mean as a private citizen I can not help someone else in need.

Today, our country is being torn apart by hate, and maybe it is time we the people stop the hate and start acting like mature, sensible, and reasonable adults. Who knows it might catch on and the politicians might realize what assholes they have become.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Precisely. I do agree that help starts at home. But looking locally and seeing all of the help homeless already get and what they do with the help, there comes a point in time when you stop and say...why bother? Veterens are a different story. But the homeless? A lot of them choose that lifestyle and no amount of help will break them from it. I have firsthand experience in this.

Without getting into details, let's put it this way. Say there's a family already living in government funded housing without paying a penny out of their own pocket. Now give that family a welfare check equivalent to about half of what I make a month. Keep in mind their housing is free to them. So they don't have that expense. Now lets give them enough food vouchers to cover the month. While we're at it we'll go out and actually buy groceries with them. Here's where it gets interesting. Now they have a roof over their head, food in the fridge, and still have their full welfare check. So, they cash that check and buy all the latest gadgets as soon as they get it. Halfway through the month they are trying to sell off the new laptop/ipad/tv so they can have money to buy drugs. 3 weeks into the month they are trading their groceries for drugs. By the end of the month they have no food and no money. No tv. No laptop. No ipad. Etc. Then it starts all over again. Oh. And that new house that was supplied free of charge is only 5 years old and is missing half the siding. Windows are borded up from being kicked in. Holes in the walls. Kitchen cupboards destroyed. Now, would you want to continue helping this family or a family from another country who had both parents working respetable jobs. Kids in school. Until one day a war started and their home was destroyed by bombs. That family now has to live in a tent for upwards of two years scraping enough to feed themselves and get by.

Notice I didn't once refer to which religion or country they are from? So which family would you be more inclined to help? The first family who's already had everything given to them on a silver platter only to waste it? Or the family who had to flee their home for risk of being killed by a bomb? I know which choice I'd make.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I am reminded of the old woman and the snake.
She picked him up from the freezing snow and gave him food and warm, the protection of her home all on the promise he would not bite her. Later when the weather changed he asked to be released, She did so and as he left her threshold door, he bit her hand.

"why did you bite me? she asked. "After all I did for you and your promise,,,you know I will die!"

The serpent calmly replied, "Yes, and you knew I was a snake when you took me in."

Still, I would do what I could to help anyone at my door. However, it does beg the question,,, why is a starving stranger from another part of the world, standing empty handed, at my door.