• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Help a refugee?

Would you help a refuee?

• Yes, I would!

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • No, I wouldn't.

Votes: 19 63.3%

• Total voters

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Would you? I'm not looking for opinions on whether or not they should be here. Not looking for views on the government bringing them over to either the USA or Canada. What I'm looking for is whether or not you would help a refugee that needs help.

Case scenerio...

Family of 5 has been placed in your town/city. They need help setting up things like school, health care, housing, buying furniture, just learning about the culture differences.

So would you help a family to navigate their new reality in a new country?

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
If you cannot be vetted 100%, your ass stays home and get no help from JEV.

Angelface

Ugh... hard. If there is children involved, than I would have hard time saying no. But I tend to think more with my heart than I do with my mind.. which is sometimes flawed. :unsure: But.. no matter what country you are from, we are all from the same planet.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
In 2005 we had evacuees from hurricane Katrina brought to our little town in East Texas. They were put up at the Ministries Center and the High School and the call went out for volunteers to help. I, along with others, cooked, served meals, swabbed toilets, played with the kids and ran excursions during the day to give them something to do. A couple of years later another hurricane, Umberto I think, caused another evacuation of the Gulf Coast. That time the Government was much more involved and it wasn't nearly as pleasurable for the volunteers or the evacuees. Too many rules and regulations to be followed rather than just everyone pitching in for the good of all.

So, knowing the history of helping in my little community, I have no doubt that if a family in need was dropped on our doorstep, they wouldn't be left to fend for themselves. I can guarantee that.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
This is very simple....but strings attached.

Firstly have the correct documentation to prove who you are.

Do not arrive through the back door do it legit.

Convince me you want to be here by choice and not because there is no other option, honestly tell me you want to integrate in to my society, you have to want to be apart of what my nation stands for past,present and future,tell me things about my nation that you will one day feel proud to be apart of.

Sign a contract that states you will honor and respect all our laws and expect to be on the first plane home if you break that contract.

Welcome to Galvi land, now take the first job offer made to you,take English lessons, buy me a pint on your first pay day and have a nice day, do all of the above or fuck off.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm thinking of this type of scenerio....family of 5, screened properly, brought into the community. Would you help out if given the chance?

Here's my dilema. Yes, I agree there are flaws in the whole screening process and there are many of us who feel we should be taking care of our own before reaching out to others. Then there's the other side of the coin. Whether or not I agree, we have an estimated 25000 refugees on their way to Canada(I imagine the states is doing the same thing). Some of those refugees are slated to be on their way to the city where I live. Our church along with another church in the city has agreed to sponsor a family. This means organizing everything listed in the original post and basically adopting the family and helping them navigate their way in a new country and start off from fresh.

I think back to when the earthquake happened in Haiti, our long time member BigAl (gone but not forgotten) was preparing to go to Haiti to help rebuild. This is sort of the same thing. Regardless of my political beliefs and so on, these people are coming. So I asked myself, "Self, what would Jesus do?" Without getting all religious here and so on, as a regular church-goer and someone of strong faith, I now find myself asking what I can do to help out regardless of the how's and why's they are here.

Our church is looking to form a committee to help organize everything and spread the work around to help a syrian family coming to our city. I have a lot of time on my hands right now for the next year or so and also have social work experience. I'm a firm believer in things happening for a reason. My current situation is not good in that I can't work and am recovering from a serious injuriy. I can still put my skills to use and help out a family in need. So, am I crazy in thinking like this? This is a serious situation with people in need regardless of political influences etc. I feel compelled to do something.

Ray

Here is my take.............and I guess I am the asshole here because I will ignore the question with this.......

Take care of our VETERANS first and our own, then and ONLY then do we concern ourselves with others.

Our Veterans wrote a blank check payable in full up to and including their life.

They come FIRST and foremost to me every damn time. There should NEVER be a homeless vet on the street.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, I agree. The veterans need to be taken care of. Along with the homeless. But lets just say that homelessness was not an issue and the veterans were taken care of. Would you help Syrian refugees?

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Brian i think i know where you are going with this as the town i live in as announced this past week that they will be welcoming 10 Syrian families to live with us to help the refugee crisis...in doing the announcement they have failed to answer important questions from the public to the tune of

where will they be housed

who will pay for the housing

have jobs been sourced for them

will they be monitored

what size are these 10 families

will they be English speaking

will they be removed if they do not try to integrate

will local people with housing needs come before them

blah blah blah and all the answers are wrapped with red tape to which no one will give a committed answer with assurances.

I dont care shit on black white Chinese or robot...just do your fucking job proper and answer the questions clearly...sadly no official for my town can do that.

I would even welcome a Canadian if he knew his place on my soil.:wink:

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
Brian i think i know where you are going with this as the town i live in as announced this past week that they will be welcoming 10 Syrian families to live with us to help the refugee crisis...in doing the announcement they have failed to answer important questions from the public to the tune of

where will they be housed

who will pay for the housing

have jobs been sourced for them

will they be monitored

what size are these 10 families

will they be English speaking

will they be removed if they do not try to integrate

will local people with housing needs come before them

blah blah blah and all the answers are wrapped with red tape to which no one will give a committed answer with assurances.

I dont care shit on black white Chinese or robot...just do your fucking job proper and answer the questions clearly...sadly no official for my town can do that.

I would even welcome a Canadian if he knew his place on my soil.:wink:

Kinda reminds me of my time in-counrty in Viet Nam,... it wasn't so much that the VN were ANTI-American,.... it was because they were UN-American

think about it.

Attachments

• 10410148_10205499354543215_1607868653504398061_n-600x445.jpg
    10410148_10205499354543215_1607868653504398061_n-600x445.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 159

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Why aren't the Mosque's doing it?
Not sure why they aren't. I believe our city only has one mosque.

I'm trying to look at it with an open mind. Yes I know what happened in France. But I also have to look at it in this way.....would I condemn a whole society for a few bad apples?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure why they aren't. I believe our city only has one mosque.

I'm trying to look at it with an open mind. Yes I know what happened in France. But I also have to look at it in this way.....would I condemn a whole society for a few bad apples?

There's also this side of the coin......keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Lead by example. I figured if they are coming regardless of opinion I may as well know what we're dealing with and inform myself rather than sit on the sidelines complaining and speculating

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So I edumacated myself a little today on the whole process involved in helping refugees. First, the myth that the government is bringing over 25000 refugees and is footing the bill for them. That, my friends, is totally false. Yes, they want to bring them over but they are looking for organizations to help sponsor the families and take responsibility for them. The government is hoping to enlist various organizations to take on all the financial, organizational, health related etc etc commitments. There are various numbers floating around out there that these organizations have to be able to prove they have before they can be approved to sponsor a family in need.

Our church is in the preliminary stages of becoming informed on the whole process and looking for another church/organization to partner with. As with anything government related there is a lot of red tape to go through. It is going to take a lot of work. Before the family gets here, the organization will have to prove they have a minimum of $25000 available before they are even approved to sponsor the family. That means fundraising and a lot of it.

Once the family gets here, housing has to be found for them. Schooling for the kids has to be arranged. All their mental and physical needs have to be addressed. Their place of residence will need to be furnished and so on......

So, with that being said, it's a little more involved than the government flying them over and giving them a blank check on the taxpayers $$$ while ignoring the homeless here or the veterans etc etc.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
.... First, the myth that the government is bringing over 25000 refugees and is footing the bill for them. That, my friends, is totally false. Yes, they want to bring them over but they are looking for organizations to help sponsor the families and take responsibility for them. The government is hoping to enlist various organizations to take on all the financial, organizational, health related etc etc commitments...

Once the family gets here, housing has to be found for them. Schooling for the kids has to be arranged. All their mental and physical needs have to be addressed. Their place of residence will need to be furnished and so on......etc.

Really?, do you expect us to believe that unless the private citizens foot the bill, then the Government is going to refuse them access?:yum:

if you are going to be giving away all this free stuff, you might want to plan for a lot of people coming from directly South of you too.:whistling:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Really?, do you expect us to believe that unless the private citizens foot the bill, then the Government is going to refuse them access?:yum:

if you are going to be giving away all this free stuff, you might want to plan for a lot of people coming from directly South of you too.:whistling:

I never said that. I know the government is planning on bringing them here regardless. But the numbers I read are more to the tune of only 8000 sponsored by government funding and the remainder to be sponsored by private organizations. We'll have to see how it all plays out. Whether we like it or not, the ball is in motion for them to arrive. So best to be informed of the situation instead of sitting back and whining and complaining about it.

You can't believe half of what you read nowdays. I plan on being prepared for what ever comes.

Bamby

Brian, you have a big wonderful heart and the world would benefit with thousands of others like you. Now on to the topic of this post..

The tar sands and oilfields have shed thousands of jobs in Canada so I'm assuming they've all already found decent replacement employment and are already back to work?

Then again you could look at picking up a distressed or soon to be foreclosed loan for housing for refuge. Maybe the state would step forward and guarantee a loan to help them get a roof over their head while they watch native citizens thrown out into the cold cruel streets and sidewalks.

And that the jest of it Brian.. Our economy is lacking the viability to support the native population born and raised here without taking on the responsibility for tens of thousands more..

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I see this as the sheep inviting the wolf into their pasture, and chasing the sheepdog away, or having the sheepdog chained so he cannot interfere with their insanity. JMHO, but I see a lot of people dying for their goodness. Just another form of martyrdom with Christian in the name instead of Muslim.

I find less and less use for organized religion, because it deals with emotion instead of common sense.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Naiveté under the guise of Christian charity. How dare you compromise my family's safety to appease your sense of "charity".

Upwards of 80% of these "refugees" are military age men. There are very few women and even fewer children in their ranks. Inviting these men into your communities and homes only to have them slit your throat in your sleep.

ISIS is coming and we are inviting them in with open arms. Idiocy fueled by political correctness a suicidal combination.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Naiveté under the guise of Christian charity. How dare you compromise my family's safety to appease your sense of "charity".

Upwards of 80% of these "refugees" are military age men. There are very few women and even fewer children in their ranks. Inviting these men into your communities and homes only to have them slit your throat in your sleep.

ISIS is coming and we are inviting them in with open arms. Idiocy fueled by political correctness a suicidal combination.

+1

Kane

They came upon a "refugee" in Switzerland today. Turns out he was responsible for the gruesome killing of some 149 infidels in Syria ... on video, without masks.

Indeed, ISIS is taking great advantage of the exodus, sending terrorists to all points of the globe.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The threat of ISIS is real. I totally get those who are scared of the threat of being attacked on our homeland by someone who slipped through the cracks. I have a wife and four kids. I understand the fear. I fear it too. I still want to inform myself of the threat so I know what to look for and how to best protect my family.

Then there's the caring side of me that says there are innocent people out there who also need help and protection and how can I help? It's a mental battle between protecting my family and helping others. That's what it boils down to.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Aren't there refugees from other nations who are equally needy and less . . . er . . . Crazy?

I doubt a person has to look more than a 100 mile radius from where ever they live to find plenty of truly needy women and children. Why step over your own communities charitable needs to fulfill the needs of afar? Where is the greater good in that?

Bamby

They've been fighting over there among themselves for centuries already and I feel they ought to settle their differences among themselves. Maybe we could cope with the seemingly few women and kids the brought with them for awhile but the men need to to go back settle this out for themselves.

When it actually comes to Muslims I don't see how anyone by simply looking could tell weather they're a good, bad, or radical Muslim. Simply send them back and provide them arms and they can then sort their differences out between themselves and let Allah make the final determination.