• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ambrosia Apples

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Has anyone had them? It is the best tasting apple I have ever ate. One C store in the area has had them now for two falls and are great. They are really crisp and just snap when you bite into them. I want to purchase some trees myself but you can't yet.

Ambrosia Apples Link

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I think I've had them before Murph, at the county fair.
There was a barn on the grounds full of tables with apples that I'd never heard of!
You could sample 1 of each, and I do mean there were dozens of varieties.
My apple of preference is the golden delicious. :)

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
In that case, I'll have to look around at larger supermarkets that carry more than 4 varieties like our store does here.:hammer:
Meijer and Kroger (out of town) have a very nice BIG fruit section.
As long as an apple is has some snap and crunch and isn't bitter or mushy, I'll like it. :smile:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
They won't sell of trees yet and I think they may be limited to certain areas. I have searched for places to sell the trees and cannot find one.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for making me think about apples again. Just went and ate one. Might have to make some more apple sauce if we get the job we are working on done tomorrow.

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Haven't seen the ambrosia apples but I like Honey Crisp. There are a few websites where you can order ambrosia apples. Looking online for trees, I've read something about the ambrosia apple having protected status in the US and BC.

and here is the history. The Ambrosia apple is an accidental variety according to the story and PG will most likely be hooked once she tries them.

In 1980, when Sally Mennell purchased her orchard it was planted to Red and Golden Delicious, MacIntosh and Spartan apples; Italian Prune Plums; Bartlett and Anjou pears; nectarines and peaches. Between 1980 and 2004 the entire orchard was replanted.

In 1987 a row of Jonagold apples was planted where there had previously been Italian Prune Plums. The nearest apple tree was a Golden Delicious planted among the prunes. A seedling grew up in the row of the new Jonagold apple trees that was different from all the others in the row. In 1989 it bore its first fruit. The fruit was so good and distinctive that the pickers ate the apples before the Mennells could properly taste them.

The following year the same thing happened and as pickers seldom eat apples the Mennells thought that perhaps they should take this seedling seriously. In 1990-91 about 180 trees were budded onto M26 rootstock to see if the variety would remain true to type. It did and by 1993 Wilfrid, Brian and Robert Mennell had propagated about 400 trees. Wilfrid named the new variety Ambrosia because it had the honeyed flavour of "a food of the Gods".

By 1993 other growers had tasted the new variety and were interested in growing it. Wilfrid and Sally were approached by Hugh Dendy, Chairman of the newly formed Okangan Plant Improvement Company (PICO) with an offer to develop and commercialize the new variety. Owned by the British Columbia Fruit Growers Association, PICO was a newly formed company whose mandate was to test, propagate, and develop new varieties in Canada. By July 1, 1993 the Mennells had an interim agreement with PICO to develop the apple cultivar "Ambrosia".
http://www.organicambrosiaapples.com/origins.html