• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Smoke.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
My grandfather passed away a year ago this week. It was very hard watching him fade away to nothing with lung cancer. I miss him terribly. All my life, he was someone I always looked up to and was always there when I needed him. When I was a child, I was closer to my grandparents than my own parents and spent most of my time with them.

I'm usually not one to dwell on dates of certain events and such but I found myself almost in tears at work today thinking about my grandfather.

As I said before, my grandfather passed away from lung cancer. He didn't smoke for nearly 30 yrs but my grandmother was like 2 packs a day so we figure he got it from second hand smoke.

I have smoked very lightly for the past 10 or so years. By lightly, I mean that a pack lasts me a week.

As a tribute to my grandfather and to mine and my family's health. I have decided to quit smoking! Wish me luck!

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
good luck.
my grandmother died from recurrent esophageal cancer related to her many years of smoking, so I have a pretty good idea of where you're at on this.

American Woman

Site Supporter
I just lost Daddy this past ThanksGiving to Cancer. Your right about how ugly it can be. I was with him for three weeks 24 hours a day at his bedside taking care of him.....I didn't think it could get any worse until the last 15 min. I was froze by him. I still feel guilty because I couldn't open my mouth to comfort him at the worst time.......gotta stop.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I should have also mentioned that two weeks after he passed away last year, we found out that my grandmother also has cancer. She was able to have surgery and have it removed but there were complications with her wound after the sugery. A week after her stitches were removed from her stomach, her wound opened up. Not a pretty sight. That was last september and it's still opened abour 4 inches long on her lower stomach. Not a nice sight at all. It's just a matter of time before she goes.

Yes, cancer is a terrible thing to go through which is why I have decided to quit smoking and start taking better care of myself.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I nursed my Dad through his lung cancer along with the hospice nurses that were coming in throughout the day.

Stupidly, I continued to smoke after that.

He passed away during the night while my Mother was lying in bed listening to him breathe and struggle for air in the next room.

Give up the god damned cigarettes, chew.. anything you people might do as a crutch.
Nails in the coffin!
Death isn't pretty to begin with.
Losing a loved one to such a nasty stupid habit is sad.
Brian, you don't need the cigarettes.
Toss them and get out there and breathe the fresh clean air.
Good luck!

American Woman

Site Supporter
Brian it's not easy to stop an addictive habit. There's a point where you know what you gotta do and you go for it....but until that point it's procrastinating. You sound like you have it all in perspective and your ready to do it.
Buy some chewing gum.....let us know how your doing

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
I feel real bad now as im trying to quit but not trying hard enough i guess.

groomerguy i wish you luck in your quest and i also hope time helps heal the pain you feel.

Galv.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Best of luck to you Brian. I feel lucky that I have never had the urge to smoke cigarettes (I smoke perhaps a dozen cigars per year). For some reason I have never obtained a "high" or enjoyed cigarettes. I've smoked plenty while hanging out in a bar getting sloshed, but never outside of those circumstances. My grandfather was a lifetime smoker, and also a pipe fitter. He died 20 years ago from Asbestos in his lungs, and perhaps seeing his condition throughout my childhood and teens has subconsciously influenced my choices.

Again, best of luck to you...just think about how much money you'll save!

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Best Wishes Brian. It is tough I did it 30 years ago and to this day I still every now and then wished I could have one. I did have one about ten years ago but after about half way I started to realize if I kept on I would be sh*ting me pants. You can do it. :thumb:

murph

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Good Luck Brian! I went through a similar thing about 9 years ago(although I've never smoked). Do it for your Grandfather - I bet he would be proud of you!

Abby

Good Luck!!! My husband and I both smoked for years and finally gave them up! I too, watched my father die and it wasn't a pretty sight.

urednecku

Site Supporter
Galv, keep up the fight, you can do it. Cory & I watched both her parents die, her Mom from lung failure, her Dad from cancer. Linked to cig's? Not sure, but I know they did not help their health, as they both used to smoke like freight trains.
Good luck.

American Woman

Site Supporter
Here's something to make you say "what the heck"
I was cutting a man's hair the other day that was saying he had an appointment w/Dr. in two more days for help to quit smoking. He was a vet that lost one of his lungs from something that happened during war time. He knew he shouldn't smoke because it was bad enough with two lungs, and worse with one. He said he tried several times to quit but this time he was serious. Next week he was quitting. Here's the "what the heck" part.........he was 94 years old. He drove himself to the barbershop, and was talking about the garden he kept up. He buried his wife 4 years earlier from Alzheimer complications. If he hadn't told me his age would have thought he was about 70'ish

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
My great grandfather was the same way........smoked two packs a day till he was 65. Then lived till 104. And I'm talking "lived". He walked into the licensing office when he was 102 and handed over his drivers license telling them he wouldn't be driving anymore. His descision. He went out camping each summer till he was 102 with his girlfriend. Great man!

cowgirl

Silver Member
Site Supporter
Good Luck, Brian. I quit about 2 years ago. I'm here if you need any support or help.

Hutchman

Site Supporter
Good luck to you Brian. It's hard but worth it. I was smoking 3 packs a day and quit as a birthday present for my Mom 21+ years ago. Well worth the trouble. Besides the health benefits of quitting, I can't imagine paying what they're getting for smokes nowadays. And I live in Kentucky where cigs are relatively cheap . Hutch

lilnixon

AKA LILVIXEN
GOLD Site Supporter
It is not easy, but you can do it. I had my last cigarette 2 years ago on the 20th of this month.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So far so good..........haven't had one in two days. Thanks everyone for the support...much appreciated.

I was about to light one up last night when I got home from work till I started reading this thread again. Really helped!

RedRocker

Lost both my folks and my MIL to cigarettes. The greatest gift you can give yourself and family would be to quit.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Proud to say that I have been smoke free for four years now. I've noticed that my breathing is way better now. I had quit for a few months before that but went through a time of high stress which caused me to start up again. Now when I walk by someone smoking outside I'm disgusted that I used to do that.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Good glad you quit. Since my mother died of lung cancer I kind of shudder when I see people smoking.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Now when I walk by someone smoking outside I'm disgusted that I used to do that.

I haven't smoked a cigarette in many years. I haven't smoked a cigar in almost two but when I pass someone smoking the smell of the tobacco still gets to me if only for a second or two. I guess that deep down I'm still an addict. Tobacco was part of my life for 50 years so I may never get over it completely.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I quit in 83. My brother didn't. He smoked like a chimney right up til the end. They killed him. He started smoking in high school and either could not quit or was to stubborn to quit. Not sure which but it left his wife, kids and grand-kids all heartbroken. Tragic.

I can walk by smokers and it truly does not bother me. Over the past 33 years I've had a drag off of a few cigs, never smoked a whole one (afraid to). I'd guess that happened 4 times in 33 years. Not bad but I do still get the urge. Sometimes a cig smells and looks so good to me. 99% of the time I can move on and not act on that urge.

edit to add:
Just noticed this thread is from 08. Man time flies, I remember this thread but it does not seem near that long ago.
So Brian, this first or whatever number attempt to quit in 08 did not take, right. You said you've been off cigs for 4 years so you quit for good in 12. Congrats. I did the same when I was quitting. Not sure which time it took, but one has to truly want to quit. No one else talk you into it or force you to quit. That simply does not work. I did it cold turkey. How did you do it?

Umberto

I quit in 83. My brother didn't. He smoked like a chimney right up til the end. They killed him. He started smoking in high school and either could not quit or was to stubborn to quit. Not sure which but it left his wife, kids and grand-kids all heartbroken. Tragic.

I can walk by smokers and it truly does not bother me. Over the past 33 years I've had a drag off of a few cigs, never smoked a whole one (afraid to). I'd guess that happened 4 times in 33 years. Not bad but I do still get the urge. Sometimes a cig smells and looks so good to me. 99% of the time I can move on and not act on that urge.

edit to add:
Just noticed this thread is from 08. Man time flies, I remember this thread but it does not seem near that long ago.
So Brian, this first or whatever number attempt to quit in 08 did not take, right. You said you've been off cigs for 4 years so you quit for good in 12. Congrats. I did the same when I was quitting. Not sure which time it took, but one has to truly want to quit. No one else talk you into it or force you to quit. That simply does not work. I did it cold turkey. How did you do it?

You first paragraph is almost identical to my situation with my brother, although he got liver and pancreatic cancer and passed of a hear attack in hospital before ever getting to hospice.

I quit in 91, cold turkey, but do like a good cigar or a bowl of English latakia on occassion.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I quit cold turkey in 1989 on my 40th birthday. That makes me 27 years now without a butt. Non filtered Luckies were my favorites and what I smoked most of the time. Marlboro's when I had a cold, like they were better for me. :hammer::sad::yum:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I tried back in 08 to quit but back then I was still with my ex who smoked a pack a day. So when I came home she was smoking in my face. I'd get to work and about half the people there smoked. I traveled a half hour each way to work carpooling with 4 other guys who smoked. So it was hard. After I split with the ex and the mill shut down I wasn't around it all the time. Eventually I just quit but had a slip up a few months later when I went through a stressful situation. I made it halfway through the pack and looked at it in disgust saying "what the hell am I doing? " I threw out the pack and never looked back. When I quit for the first time what happened was the store didn't have my favorite brand so I decided to get the harshest smokes I could find and try them. I got so grossed out that I chucked the pack and quit.

Leni

Lucky me. I never smoked. I have asthma and live in Los Angeles. The smog is mostly gone but back when I was in college I decided that lungs did not need the cigaret.