• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Metal or canvas carports

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thinking of getting one with primary short-term focus (a few years) as a wood shed.

I'm a little familiar with the canvas ones and it seems their usable life is 3-4 years on average before the canvas falls apart or a good wind takes it for a ride destroying the piping. These are the $100-200 models.

I've read good reviews on the ShelterLogic brand but they go for $300-400 it seems. Anyone know how long these things last?

If I'm now at $300+ for a canvas topped carport, for 2x that amount you can get a metal one. How good are these things? How long do they last?

I could always use something longer-term for either wood or implement or trailer storage. Almost all my 3PH implements and all of my trailers spend their life outside, uncovered.

jwstewar

The F-I-L had one of the metal car ports when I started dating Monica in early 1999. At that time it was just the roof. He has since had it enclosed on all 4 sides with a roll-up door. He has painted it a couple of times, still looks good, and the frame is still in great shape. It is the same type of metal used on pole barns, so that should last a long time. He had another one installed a few years ago. A little smaller, but he hasn't enclosed it yet.

He is talking about building a new pole barn, something he could put a lift in. I'm trying to talk him into replacing both of the car ports and selling them to me cheap. I could then use one for hay storage and use then enclose the smaller, new one and use it has a barn for our bucks (goats).:whistling:

Oh, we have tried a couple of the canvas canopy things. I can't get them tied down/secured enough for an afternoon picnic. Couldn't imagine one for long term storage. I think I would be insane before too long worried about it blowing away.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
For the cost why not just put in 4 treated posts and use rough saw lumber for joists with tin for a roof. My 10X20 woodshed cost me less than $250. I am going to expand it 10 ft longer before winter so I can keep more wood under roof. Don't want to fight the snow and tarps like last winter.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have been thinking about doing that as option 3.

Option 4 is to just stack the wood, lay some tin on it and weigh it down.

We live at the bottom of a pretty deep valley so wind isn't that much of a concern.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a canvas one, still have the pipes. The canvas cover was replaced every-other-year because it just didn't hold up. The pipes were very heavy duty, the canvas was fairly heavy and coated with some sort of waterproofing plastic finish.