• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

paint removal help

working woman

Site Supporter
Help, does anyone have any remedies on how to remove latex paint droppings off a bathroom sink and surronding area? I have taken a razor to what I could, then tried a soft scrubbie to what I could with household cleaner,
but that just is not working.:mad: Have no idea what the sink and counter material is, but I can tell you its what ever they used to when the place was built back in the 70's

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Is the sink and counter top made in one piece ? If it is, you may have a Culture marble combination . If it is two different pieces than it may be a Formica top with a porcelain sink . It sounds like you have a Culture marble top . The color does go all the way through it so you should be able to carefully use a razor blade to remove the paint followed by a good cleaning compound made for Cultured marble and buff it out to a new like condition .
Formica only has its color design in the top layer so be very careful on cleaning it . Once it is scratched it is forever .
Try a soapy wet water solution and let it sit for a hour or so .Keep it wet . Latex is "water based " and will almost always loosen up over time if it is wet .Lay "Hot" wet towels down . Use you microwave to get them hot . They do not need to be dripping water ,just hot and moist .

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mrs. Zoom is helping me here.

She's saying to avoid anything abrasive (until we know what the material is).

A plastic scraper is prefered. Metal will scratch. Mr Zoom thinks a plastic scraper may be able to take it off.

Uh oh,... From here on out is Mrs. Zoom.

Hi,

I have removed paint splatters using my finger nails. It did work, but your nails will need a manicure after your done. I would try the plastic food scrappers (dollar store, kitchen store, pampered chef)
Did you try using Skin So Soft (Avon)? That removes all kinds of stuff, like road tar from your car doors. First try on a little area, just in case it leaves a stain. Then let Skin So Soft soak on the paint and scrap off using a plastic scrapper.

Are you sure it is paint? Could it be nail polish? If it is nail polish do not use nail polish remover because it removes the finish. Already did that one.

Good luck, Let us know if you got out the paint. Mrs Zoom

working woman

Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Mrs. Zoom is helping me here.

She's saying to avoid anything abrasive (until we know what the material is).

A plastic scraper is prefered. Metal will scratch. Mr Zoom thinks a plastic scraper may be able to take it off.

Uh oh,... From here on out is Mrs. Zoom.

Hi,

I have removed paint splatters using my finger nails. It did work, but your nails will need a manicure after your done. I would try the plastic food scrappers (dollar store, kitchen store, pampered chef)
Did you try using Skin So Soft (Avon)? That removes all kinds of stuff, like road tar from your car doors. First try on a little area, just in case it leaves a stain. Then let Skin So Soft soak on the paint and scrap off using a plastic scrapper.

Are you sure it is paint? Could it be nail polish? If it is nail polish do not use nail polish remover because it removes the finish. Already did that one.

Good luck, Let us know if you got out the paint. Mrs Zoom

thanks for the suggestions, hadnt thought of the skin so soft. Due to what I do for a living I have to keep my fingernails extremely short,(bummer) I hadnt thought of the plasic wear either.It is defintely paint, dont own any nail polish and its yellow! Will tackle the job tomorrow!

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
I'd have no idea whether it would eat your finish too, but I've had pretty good results with oven cleaner taking paint. You can also buy paint remover; pretty nasty stuff, so maybe that would eat the finish too.

I like BigAl's advice perhaps in combination with Mrs. Zoom's, but thought I'd throw out a couple more options if it really wants to be stubborn. :14_6_12:

daedong

WW

With caution a heat gun may work. Just heat slightly and scrape off with a plastic scraper