• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Proper lingo

Cletis

A really stupid question. I always thought snow cat referred specifically to a Tucker machine. Looking at other (snow vehicle) manufacturers websites, they also at times use snow cat in reference to their machines.

So how did the term Snow cat first get started?

Cletis

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I believe that tucker was the first company to produce a snow cat machine, so it's likely that the name stuck as a generic name. kind of like super glue is used to refer to all like products. also these machines crawl across he snow on caterpillar style tracks again cat is a short version of caterpillar. the last word we must know if the name Kristi is pronounced krusty and even though in form they resemble a snow cat they are more commonly referred to as yard art or a decoration for Big Al's man cave as evidence of them actually operating on snow is just about as scarce as big foot .

undy

I think Tucker's machine was known as "Sno-Cat".

I believe the term snowcat is used more generically. Somewhat like tissue is often referred to as Kleenex around here, regardless of the brand of tissue or the previously mentioned superglue.

No idea of the genesis of the term/s. Maybe Al made 'em up.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think Tucker's machine was known as "Sno-Cat". . .

Yup, I think you are correct.

Tucker has a trademark on the name Sno-Cat.

Others refer to the machines generically as SNOWCATS or SNOW CATS.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I took them (over the snow machines) as a a Cat, (crawler, bull dozer) for snow. as opposed to dirt.

Thus.... Snow Cat.

Tucker lingo is the sno-cat.

regional dialect:
I used to call them groomers, as all I ever knew of over the snow machines is that they groomed snow. I have now adopted the reality that the drag does the grooming and the snow cat does the pulling.....

$.02

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just a bit north of here(1-2 hrs) a snowmobile is called a snow machine.

same meaning...

funny linguistics.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
around here we call them snow go's I understand in Canada they are referred to as skidoos. the funniest one I have herd of is in the villages here quads are all called Honda's I get a laugh when some one tells me I just got a new Polaris honda

something I found interesting was the definition of snowmobile.

My T2 (and hence every Snowcat in California) is designated as a snowmobile. Strangest damn looking sled I've ever seen. :yum: But it's true: OHV - Green sticker required, kids, unless you're solely on private land.

Vehicle Code sec. 557: Snowmobile is a motor vehicle designed to travel over ice or snow in whole or in part on skis, belts, or cleats, which is commonly referred to as an Over Snow Vehicle (OSV). Prinoth, Tucker, Thiokol, PB, Bombardier, they all the same.

FWIW, guys in Calif. might want to think about titling/registering your cat. It might avoid an unanticipated conversation with some yahoo forester with a hardon. Just sayin'.