• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Whos your favourite......

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Who/what is your favourite composer/band/artist old or new?
Favourite track/song/piece of theirs?
Reasons?

And yes, you can have more that one ;)
Lets hear it
Cheers

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow... that's a tough one.

Some of my favorite albums/CDs (in no particular order):
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs
Eagles - Hotel California
Bad Company- Bad Company
Dave Matthews Band - Under the Table and Dreaming
The Motels - Little Robbers
Steely Dan - Aja
Rush - 2112
Toby Keith - anything/everything he's done

Some songs that come to mind that I really like are:
Hotel California (the Eagles) - The original is a classic but the new version off of "Hell freezes over" is fantastic.
I also like the new (re-made) version of "Dust in the wind" (Kansas).
The title songs from the albums listed above as well

OkeeDon

Current favorite composer is Philip Glass; favorite CD right now is Powaqqatsi, composed for a movie of the same name. Favorite track is tougher, but possibly "Train to Sao Paulo".

I'm also partial to anything by P.D.Q. Bach, especially the 1712 Overature.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Honestly have no favorite. I like Rockmoninoff's harpsicord sonatas about as well as I like Meatloaf. Pink Floyd is good too, as are the Indigo Girls. Modern variations of chamber music rate pretty high, along with Cheryl Crow and Jimmy Buffett. I used to say I don't like Rap music, but I've found Eminem to actually be very talented and some of his stuff from 8 Mile is excellent, but I still have little use for 95% of the Rap or Hip Hop that I hear.

I really suppose it depends on my mood!

In my cars CD changer right now I have Cheryl Crow, Allanis Morisset's (new acustic only CD), Jimmy Buffett, Indigo Girls and 2 from Meatloaf.

And if I listen to the radio, I'm likely to listen to shock jock Howard Stern in the early morning, but financial talk shows in the afternoon. Music or talk in the evening.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I guess I like pretty much anything except gangster-rap and hip-hop.

The last time I bought CD's, I got three....Andrea Bocelli, Neil Diamond and AC/DC. You should have seen the look on the face of the PFY who rang me out.

:wave:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well my alltime favorite is anything by Joe Satriani, I have all his stuff!
(Instrumental rock, blues and funk electric guitar. HIGHLY recommend Live in San Francisco album or DVD)

My taste in music is all over the place.......

Rock - ZZ Top, AC/DC, Ozzie, Led Zeppelin/Robert Plant, Pearl Jam
Blues/Funk - The Isley Brothers, Root Boy Slim and the Sex Change Band (x-rated lyrics but very good music), Anita Baker
Country - Brooks & Dunn, Patsy Cline, Dwight Yoakam, Buffet

I like alot of the new progressive rock, my sons keep me up to date but don't ask me the band names!

Last song to hear before I pass would probably be "Le Grange" by ZZ Top.

Last edited:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Edit - I need to throw in one more.

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells.

The song/album that nobody has ever heard of but it has gone double platinum 5 times over (that's 10,000,000 copies and that count is probably 15 years old). Part of it is the theme for the movie "The exorcist"

There's 2 songs on the album. Each spans the entire side of the album.

BTW. This album is what put Virgin records on the map.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Grease soundtrack,
Lady in Red
Any old time Gospel.........and I mean old time
Eagles
Just about anything 70's..........I was country when country was not cool.
Alabama
Charlie Daniels Band

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Having spent 15 yrs in the radio biz and working various formats, I've developed an appreciation for a whole host of styles and artists.

I love Late 50's early 60's do wop (goes back to my NJ/NY youth)
CSN&Y, James Taylor (Sweet Baby James-Title track but knew whole album by heart) I think that song was a real influence for my love of the Cowboy culture. Carole King etc.....
Meatloaf- Paradise By The Dashboard Light
George Thorogood
Bob Wills and Asleep at The Wheel
Most All Country old and new, even a little askew (Lyle Lovett)
I remember becoming enamoured (some of my friends said obcessed) with Neil Diamond's Johnathon Livingston Seagull. Not sure I know what that was about. Depending on my mood I find my radio spending time with most musical genres'.

There's more but i think I'll stop there. One last thought a little off topic. Does anyone listen to "Bob and Tom" They're a nationally syndicated show out of the Midwest. If you haven't, give it a try. It's a hoot!!!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Whos your favorite......

Cowboyjg said:
CSN&Y, James Taylor (Sweet Baby James-Title track but knew whole album by heart)
I thought about listing both of those but had another 100 to list right beside them so I didn't.
I used to know all the words to the Sweet Baby James album. I think I'll have to pull it out to see how much I recall.

PS. Mith - I changed the thread title to the American version of "favourite" just so the other 99 of us know what we're talking about.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter

bczoom said:
I thought about listing both of those but had another 100 to list right beside them so I didn't.

I understand your angst :confused: I could have gone on for hours about all the stuff I enjoy that could be listed in the same line if we were really putting it in order of preference. Although I enjoy tunes that are just fun and not very substantive, the message stuff has a particular place in my heart. That even applies to those without lyrics. There are alot of instrumentals (Jazz etc.) that are absolutely masterful.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter

Well I'm afraid my list isnt too far off Brian's, gotta agree with most the stuff he got on there, in addition

Lots of different styles, but overall it has gotta be Steel Pulse, Chant a Psalm, awesome track.
Bob Marley, War, has so much meaning and truth
Iron Maiden, The Prisoner, excellent drums and guitar
Jimi Hendrix, Purple haze, good guitar/drums

And in no particular order,
Jet'hro Tull, some good tracks
Pink Floyd
Some Hip Hop (not the mainstream stuff, thats rubbish)
Some metal
Pretty much all reggae ;)

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Pink Floyd, hands down is my most favorite, almost anything they've ever done
Old Rolling Stones from '64-69, they got too discoey and wierd for my tastes after that,
Metallica, have never played them backwards to look for Satanic messages tho',
Grunge Rock, like Alice in Chains, Simple Minds, Stone Temple Pilots, etc,
Like Blues also, just can't keep track of who does what,
Mike Oldfield, Tubular Bells,
Bolero by Revel:whistle:
:coolshade :beer:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I've been listening to Ambient IO lately at work. The other guys get a little strange look on their face when they enter my office, but it's relly great chill-out music.

:sun1: