• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Boat motor removal

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I ended up not going anywhere for easter so I decided today would be a good day to remove the 4 cyl from my boat. Not a big project but I figured maybe we could get the boat area a little more active!!!!:wave:

First pic, Great little fuel efficient 4 cyl Just does not have enough power!!!! Its gotta go!!!!

Attachments

• 100_3210.jpg
    100_3210.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 258

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Close up of throttle and fuel connections. Electrical connections in next pic.

Attachments

• 100_3211.jpg
    100_3211.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 244
  • 100_3212.jpg
    100_3212.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 246

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is the 280 out drive. Remove this bolt, flip the helmit out of the way, and remove bellows clamp on both ends. Next remove four bolts that hold on the top gearbox, lift gearbox to remove. Constant velocity u-joint will come with gearbox.

Attachments

• 100_3215.jpg
    100_3215.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 264
  • 100_3216.jpg
    100_3216.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 266
  • 100_3217.jpg
    100_3217.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 255
  • 100_3218.jpg
    100_3218.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 254

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Support engine from hoist, remove six bolts visible in last picture(Squeeze large rubber O-rings to seal out water). Remove engine, all took less than one hour!!!!! Now V-6 or V-8????????? Suggestion anyone??????:weneedpic Pics of the install in your boat would be great!!!!

Attachments

• 100_3220.jpg
    100_3220.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 248
  • 100_3221.jpg
    100_3221.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 262

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
There's no motor mounts ? Just the bolts to the outdrive ???
That's a little scary....What kind/size of 4cyl. is it ?

I have a nice 318 in the garage that came out of a boat. Boat needed new stringers and motor mounts. Boat is about 2/3 done and I've lost interest/momentum on that project.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I ended up not going anywhere for easter so I decided today would be a good day to remove the 4 cyl from my boat. Not a big project but I figured maybe we could get the boat area a little more active!!!!:wave:

First pic, Great little fuel efficient 4 cyl Just does not have enough power!!!! Its gotta go!!!!

:applause: Thanks. Good thread. :thumb:

One hour! :eek: Good job.

What do you plan to replace the 4 banger with? What is the size of the boat?

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
There's no motor mounts ? Just the bolts to the outdrive ???
That's a little scary....What kind/size of 4cyl. is it ?

I have a nice 318 in the garage that came out of a boat. Boat needed new stringers and motor mounts. Boat is about 2/3 done and I've lost interest/momentum on that project.
No Pixie no motor mounts !!!!!!!:smileywac :4_11_9: It seemed a little wierd to me also?????? Hmmmmm 318 you say???? How about some pics!!!!!:wave:

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
:applause: Thanks. Good thread. :thumb:

One hour! :eek: Good job.

What do you plan to replace the 4 banger with? What is the size of the boat?

The boat has a 125Hp Volvo in it right now (well it used to!!) It is a 19.5ft HEAVY fiberglass boat I was thinking a 4.3, 5.0, 5.7L motor?? I have a bellhousing spotted n Ebay for a small block Chevy right now!! Parts and motors are cheap for those!!!! Any thoughts or ideas let me know!!!! I guess I could put the 4cyl back in if I have to!!!:smileywac

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a 20ft Four Winns that was HEAVY. I had a 4.3 in it. It would get me up and down, but a 5.0 or 5.7 would be more fun for sure. :D

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have a Rinker Captiva 212 with a 5.7L EFI. It is 260 HP at the prop. I actually ordered it with a 300 HP at the prop but when it came in we were told only the DNR can have one that large. My dealer was upset and gave me the boat for the standard 5.7 price and if I didn't want it I could back out of the deal. I just took it and have been pretty happy with it.

murph

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How fast do you want to go?

It's been a lot of years but if things haven't changed much, here's what I recall.
For a heavy 19' boat:

The 318 is probably about 165 HP. Max speed probably around 40.
The 5.0L with a 2 barrel carb is around 200 HP. Max speed high-40's or low 50's.
The 5.0L with a 4 barrel carb is around 225 HP. Max speed mid - high 50's.
The 5.7L may get you into the 60's.

Your mileage may vary based on hull, prop pitch...
I'm not very versed in the Volvo setups (I was a Merc guy...), but aren't you going to have to replace the lower unit (out drive) for the larger engines? I don't know if your existing unit can handle the higher HP.

Where's Fred (Waybomb)? He may have a spare 454 laying around. :rolleyes:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Ya, I have a spare or two, but you can't have them!

Watch out on that horsepower and drive. And going to an 8 will throw the center of gravity way off. Might porpoise like crazy, or chine walk.

How about a small V6? But you'll definately need a beefier drive.

Go stellings jacketed dry pipes.

Best solution - just take that 4 banger and put a belt driven paxton blower on it. But you'll still need a beefier drive.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Boat already has a beefy drive installed. I put that on last summer. The boat came with a shot 270 leg on it, it was supposed to be good to 175-200 HP. I installed a larger leg 280 supposed to be good to 300hp. These boats came with a small block option. I wish I could get some pics with one installed.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Well alrighty then, whatareyawaitin fer? There's lotsa small blocks out there. Don't need to do too much to them to get 300 hp.
Watch ebay - there's usually some drop in 350s on there.