• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Valve adjustment for 170 cid engine

zspryte

Site Supporter
I've got a few questions about valves and their adjustment on a Spryte w/Ford 170 engine.

The engine has a little tapping noise at idle when warm. Above about 1000 RPM the tapping can no longer be heard - gone or drowned out. The tapping sounds like its coming form the top of the engine so I suspect the valves. All six spark plugs look the same, black and sooty, so no one cylinder stands out. How do you tell when the value clearance should be adjusted? How often should the clearance be checked?

The engine tag shows it was made in 1966. Various web sites say 1966 and later Ford 170's had hydraulic lifters. Does that sound right?

I found a web site that explains how to adjust the values (https://fordsix.com/archive/www.classicinlines.com/ValveAdj.html) - sounds easy enough. Is there anything I should watch out for?

Before I remove the valve cover and deal with the attached coolant hoses, I want to make sure I know what I am getting into.

Thanks for the help -

andyv916

Since no one else replied there are other things to check first mechanical and or electric fuel pumps can make that tapping sound also . have you checked idle rpm and timing yet . The 200 calls for a very low idle of 550 i have the same engine in my spryte and my mustang, the spryte i have set for 900 because of altitude and the mustang set at 750 i have it in Sacramento no altitude .I hope you get her running good .

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I've got a few questions about valves and their adjustment on a Spryte w/Ford 170 engine.

The engine has a little tapping noise at idle when warm. Above about 1000 RPM the tapping can no longer be heard - gone or drowned out. The tapping sounds like its coming form the top of the engine so I suspect the valves. All six spark plugs look the same, black and sooty, so no one cylinder stands out. How do you tell when the value clearance should be adjusted? How often should the clearance be checked?

The engine tag shows it was made in 1966. Various web sites say 1966 and later Ford 170's had hydraulic lifters. Does that sound right?

I found a web site that explains how to adjust the values (https://fordsix.com/archive/www.classicinlines.com/ValveAdj.html) - sounds easy enough. Is there anything I should watch out for?

Before I remove the valve cover and deal with the attached coolant hoses, I want to make sure I know what I am getting into.

Thanks for the help -

Would check the service manual for you're engine, but normally hydraulic lifters are set at 0 lash on the base circle then a little preload 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the adjuster nut. Personally I have the best luck running them at 0 lash. Solid lifters normally .008 to .010 lash on the intake and .012 -.018 on the exhaust. Check your manual for you're engine. Aluminum block push rod engines take a little less because the aluminum block grows more when it heats up than cast iron. While you are in there check the cam lobes on you're flat tappet engine for wear or galling, a cam lobe going flat will ruin the whole engine. When you change the oil I would use an additive for the flat tappet cam. If adjusting does not take care of the noise you may have a bad lifter. The link you posted pretty much sums it up. Its not difficult. One thing I do on things I don't have a lot of experience working on is take pictures as you go.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Why not install new valve stem seals while your at it?

In my experience, they don't go bad that often on the 170/200's

and I think we should let him adjust his valves then teach him the practice of shoving a rope in the bore and dropping the keepers down in the engine.

:th_lmao:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Thanks for the help -

If you are not in a rush. I just picked up a 201 with a 170/200 in it. I have a pair of vlaves to free up. then I will be adjusting mine. I can take some photos\

Attachments

• received_666081897351806.jpg
    received_666081897351806.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 278

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, I sure did fumble-finger a keeper. Not into the engine though. Went hunting for it with a telescoping magnet and got lucky. So yes, fair warning. Can't be too careful with small parts and old fingers. As far as the seals go, that fixed my fouling out spark plugs. I could install new plugs and run like a champ all day as long as I didn't shut the engine off. Shut down for a couple hours and on restart missed horribly. New plugs, start the process over again. My guess is that it only takes the smallest drop of oil to drip off the intake valve onto the spark plug electrode to foul it out. As part of this repair I also went with the 1980 HEI distributor and got rid of the "spark o matic" timing advance. Shortly after on went a 1904 Holley replica from Mikes carburetors and now life is good. So from my experience, just break down and do it all at once for less frustration in the long run.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
so here is the story.

Number 3 and number five had stuck valves. I backed off the rocker adjusters. Put rope in the bores and pushed the valves back up.

Lubricated waited lubricated waited.

turned the engine over and the they stuck again and the pushrods slipped out. I with out thinking pulled the push rod out and why wouldnt the lifter come up out of its bore stuck to the push rod and fall away from its home.

Pissed off It sat for a week. some magnets and good clean living led to another lifter getting stuck to the magnet doubling the problem.
I promptly went an warmed up.
I then came back and bang the second one went right in magnets was to strong to leave it there so I slid an aluminum strap down a different hole and a scope in another adjacent hole. lifter back were it should be.
eventually persistance won out and both lifters were back in their bores. I backed off the adjusters as far as I could and fired the rig. as it ran and t stat opened I slowly started the game of catch the lifter. This now a running 170. I will finish the lifter adjustment next weekend. Oh and yes this is a parts rig........ they are always better than the runners and this one is no exception......

Reactions: PJL

PJL

Nice work, I like the knife shoved into carb linkage and the driving snowstorm.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
High idle knife, Was that not stock in 62;'?

The white stuff has been plenty this year... we are headed into a good over the snow year.

to the original poster. I intend to adjust my valves this weekend ( with a rifle and look out for white tail ) I hope to capture the process on video.

It is a weird setup having hydraulic lifters and adjustable rockers... I love it but just the same it is a bit weird for me