• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Potatoes

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
About two weeks ago I planted about 32 hills of potatoes. That night it started raining and hasn't quit until today. The temperature has been at best low 50's. I thought by now even with the cold weather I would have some buds coming out. I hope the seeds didn't rot on me. I think I am going to wait a couple more days then dig one up and see what it looks like.

murph

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
99 cents for 5 pounds here and they get to 99 cents for 10 pounds when warmer weather comes...... :whistle:

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
First part of the season, charge $3 for five pounds. Later on it might go down to $2 for five pounds. New potatoes, the small ones go for a dollar to a dollar and half per pound.:thumb:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Junkman said:
99 cents for 5 pounds here and they get to 99 cents for 10 pounds when warmer weather comes...... :whistle:

Our prices are not that low, but sometimes people plant gardens for more than the money savings issues. We plant for ourselves and them plant a lot of extras so we can give the harvest away. We also grow most of our produce organically, and most often grow varieties that are hard to find in the local supermarket.

Find organic Russian Fingerling potatoes in the market? Or organic leeks? Organic Roma tomatoes? Organic yellowboy tomatoes? If you do, I'd be willing to bet they would be closer to $5/pound rather than $1 for 5/pounds.

On the other hand, sweet corn, in season here is 12 ears for $1, but I still plant about an acre of it in our garden . . . the taste is amazing when you cook them only a few minutes after picking them.:thumb:

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
Junkman said:
What do they charge for old potatoes???????/:yum:

In the fall, they are $12, for fifty pounds, if you do not sell them then, they are seed potatoes.

As far as the dollar a dozen corn goes, it would rot in the fields before I would pick it, haul it to town and stand there all day selling it. It would not hardly pay for the gas getting it to town, let alone all of the diesel and wear on the tractor, seeder and cultivator. I was getting three dollars a dozen, some vendors get four, at the twin cities some are getting five.

All of the items we sell are pretty much organic, no fertilizer, no sprays, however the seeds are sometimes treated.

Our organic Roma tomatoes go for a dollar a pound, a lot less work than picking and hauling corn.