• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Coating for House Boat deck

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a few spider cracks on the deck of our houseboat. How can you repair these, or re-coat the deck? Any ideas?

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Cracks in gelcoat ?

If they aren't structurally related, you could paint the area with epoxy and then with a good paint but it might be hard to match to the existing finish.

If they are caused by flexing of the fiberglass, they will reappear unless you reinforce the area to stop the flexing.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's not the gelcoat. The decks are coated with a substance that keeps it's flexibility, and has stuff mixed in it to give traction even when the deck it wet. It is a material like I've never seen before. It is a normal maintenence item on a houseboat ... but it is new to me.
I'll post more on this once I find the answer.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I worked a couple of summers back during college as a deckhand on a paddle-wheel riverboat. At the beginning of each season we had to re-do the outside floors. This paddle wheeler was a relatively simple thing in that it was made from a river barge tray and had all steel decks; so, this may not apply. What we'd do is first clean and de-grease the decks by mopping them with some chemical solution that would burn a bit when left on bare skin. After they dried, we'd paint the decks using rollers dipped into 5 gallon buckets of this epoxy paint. Each 5 gallon bucket first got a half gallon of stuff that was like really fine sand mixed into it. They had a big hand drill with what appeared to be a drywall mud mixer about three feet long attached to it. That was used to mix the "sand" into each 5 gallon bucket of the marine epoxy paint.

Although this sounds rather crude, the result was a surprisingly nice looking finish that provided excellent grip but didn't quite feel like 80 grit sandpaper. I think that the finished decks looked good because the marine epoxy paint stuff was rather slow at drying and it flowed out well. If I recall correctly, it took something like 72 hours before it could be walked on and about a week before fully cured. I know this likely doesn't help much, but my only real point is that it was easier than one would think and the result was better than one would think considering the application method.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think your on the right track Brent. That is exactly how I've been told it is applied. I thought it came premixed, but the way you guys did it makes more sense. Thanks!