• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Roundie roundie? Uppie downie?

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
What kinda pattern do you guys mow your lawn at?

Do you go up and down to put stripes into it, work around and around the outside to the middle, middle out? Do you do it the quickest way, or so it looks its best?

Myself, I go up and down. The lawn has been shaped over time so it is amost perfectly rectnagular, nothing to mow around, so up and down it the fastest, and it puts nice stripes in too!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I do it several different ways.

Normally I just go in a pattern around the outside working inward. I blow the clippings into the next path.

If the grass is very tall, I'll do the outside 3-4 rows blowing inward then do the rest blowing the clippings into what's already been cut.

If I'm bored and have lots of time, I may cut back and forth for striping. I did this yesterday and although it looks good, I get a lot more clippings and such blown on me. I also need to be careful at the turns to avoid pivoting a rear tire and tearing up the grass.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Stripes when we have company or I'm looking to kill time on the mower.

Round'n'round the rest of the time. I try to not follow the same pattern too many times.

My mower does a crappy job on corners so I usually end up doing extra loops on the corners near the end.

PB

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Not to hijack the thread but many do that. Why?

It's a Sears Crapsman (that's probably all the explanation needed). If you try to keep the corner tight then you get a crescent patch that doesn't get mowed. Speed doesn't seem to matter. Tight corner = missed patch.

It's got a 50" Deck with anti-scalp rollers on all four corners. Not sure if that matters though.

Actually the mower is pretty good and handled thick grass well and some of the rough terrain on my property so I can deal with it's corner flaws.

I'll probably get a ZTR in the next year or two but for now I just live with it.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I usually alternate patterns. One time I'll go round and round and then next time I'll do the edges so I turn around in my yard and cut across, next time I cut lengthwise.
Doesn't matter to me.....whatever gets it cut the quickest.

Kwiens

I need to set the stage prior to detailing how I pattern mow/stripe my manicured lawn. (as pride sets in grubs and moles go to work destroying the lawn!)

I have over two acres of lawn around our home which is located in the sandhills of south central Kansas. I have to be careful about leaving wheel patterns in the turf which, over time, will become ruts. I mow with a John Deere 455 diesel garden tractor with a 60 inch deck. I have installed gator blades and a mulch kit. I do not bag any of my clippings.

I begin by cutting in the yard with two opening rounds, alternating blowing the clippings in and then out. I use alternating back and forth patterns. First east/west then the next mowing north/south. Next I move the pattern 45 degrees to southwest/northeast then northwest/southeast. Finally I move the pattern in the middle of all the other patterns so I cut on a 22.5 degree vector from the center of the yard. After I complete this pattern I then switch my back and forth pattern so I am mowing the grass in the opposite way of the previous time. The pattern will look like a pie cut into 16ths when finished. This is repeated every eight mowings unless you switch back the pattern to mow the opposite way. Example; when I open the lawn I mow with the center on the left side of the mower deck. The next time I mow that directional pattern I mow with the center line on the right side of the mower deck.

I think the term OCD or anal retentive applies here........

My wife says the American Psychological Association has a term for this type of lawn care. It called "plain nuts!"

Oh well, it's cheaper than therapy.

Kevin in Kansas

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Kwiens said:
I need to set the stage prior to detailing how I pattern mow/stripe my manicured lawn. (as pride sets in grubs and moles go to work destroying the lawn!)

I have over two acres of lawn around our home which is located in the sandhills of south central Kansas. I have to be careful about leaving wheel patterns in the turf which, over time, will become ruts. I mow with a John Deere 455 diesel garden tractor with a 60 inch deck. I have installed gator blades and a mulch kit. I do not bag any of my clippings.

I begin by cutting in the yard with two opening rounds, alternating blowing the clippings in and then out. I use alternating back and forth patterns. First east/west then the next mowing north/south. Next I move the pattern 45 degrees to southwest/northeast then northwest/southeast. Finally I move the pattern in the middle of all the other patterns so I cut on a 22.5 degree vector from the center of the yard. After I complete this pattern I then switch my back and forth pattern so I am mowing the grass in the opposite way of the previous time. The pattern will look like a pie cut into 16ths when finished. This is repeated every eight mowings unless you switch back the pattern to mow the opposite way. Example; when I open the lawn I mow with the center on the left side of the mower deck. The next time I mow that directional pattern I mow with the center line on the right side of the mower deck.

I think the term OCD or anal retentive applies here........

My wife says the American Psychological Association has a term for this type of lawn care. It called "plain nuts!"

Oh well, it's cheaper than therapy.

Kevin in Kansas

:weneedpic

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a little man who cuts my front lawn for me, it costs £5 per time and well worth it. I don't know whether he goes round and round, but it looks good and I don't have to do it!!!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ice Queen said:
I have a little man who cuts my front lawn for me, it costs £5 per time and well worth it. I don't know whether he goes round and round, but it looks good and I don't have to do it!!!

I'm glad you answered that you didn't mow your lawn because I don't mow mine either. My wife does. I suspect it costs me a lot more than £5 per time :whistle: