• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Starting a "Non-Manicured" Lawn

BoneheadNW

I have cleared several areas of downed trees on the property and am looking to grow grass there. I am not talking about a manicured lawn but more like pasture type grass. When our street was put in, they somehow were able to start grass along the side of the road and this grass has grown well out near the end of our driveway. I was going to bring in some fill dirt first. So, how does one start this "non-manicured" (as in pasture-type) grass?
Bonehead

Attachments

• DSCN7507v2.jpg
    DSCN7507v2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 65

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
May just be the picture, but parts appear to be rough. My first suggestion would be to smooth it out, whether by disk or tiller. When you do get the grass and have to cut you'll want to be able to mow as fast as you can without suffering with the rough ground. After breaking the ground you can broadcast seed and drag a chainharrow or section of chainlink fence over it to incorporate the seed into the soil. I have no idea what grass to suggest for your area.

BoneheadNW

Actually, the grass in the picture is fine the way it is. I was looking to grow grass just like it in the areas I just cleared (I'll try to take pics later).
Bonehead

humor_me

BoneheadNW said:
So, how does one start this "non-manicured" (as in pasture-type) grass? Bonehead

Bonehead,
I think you just let it grow, that is unless it just fills with weeds:yum: , in which case I'd manicure it about 6" tall to sort of train it and give the more desireable grass a chance.
At least that works here in Texas unless you're in a hurry, then we throw seeds.

You mileage may vary.:puke1:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
You can get "Contractor" grade seed mix at Home Despot and most garden supply places. It's probably close to what the city used. You could try and identify what types of grass are growing and then look for a mix that is similar. It's nice to try and avoid having patches of disimilar grass growing.

I prefer perrenial rye grass though. It does well here in the NW. Walmart sells huge bags of it pretty cheap.

JimR

Charter Member
I think I know the grass you are talking about. I have meadow grass behind my house in the woods. It grows about 5-7 inches long and stops growing. I have no clue as to whether seeds for this type of grass is available. My grass back there grows naturally and has been there from before I built my house in 1976. The best part is you don't need to mow it.

OregonAlex

Bone,

if you want the native NW grass which grows about 8 feet tall you know who to ask. I have plenty for everyone. ;-)