• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

early tucker photos

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Referencing post #13

The red machine on the trailer is one of Tucker's early snow machines that used a spiral drive tube. He sold these machines with the name The Tucker Snow Motor Sled. Tucker gave up this principle in 1938 when he came up with the idea and machine with the pontoons on it.

The track on the left belongs to the famous Rock N Roll freighter which was Sir Vivian Fuchs's personal Sno-Cat that he crossed Antarctica in 1957-1958.

The 424 is one of only four built. It has a steel body. The year of manufacture was 1946.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is a question for the resident experts. And it's something that has been bouncing around in my skull for a little while and things like the 'fiber-toon' bring it back. But not sure it would even work or be worth the effort.

Obviously, Tuckers were built for one purpose- utility. Every part of the design was to make it as functional as possible with minimal attention to creature comforts (which has certainly changed with new models). So, when it came time to work, you made do with what you had. Now that a lot of us are chasing cats for recreation, building our own comforts into our units gets moved to the front so we can enjoy them more / longer without dreading having to climb into the thing for another shift of work. Which brings me back to the pontoons.

The question is this: would it be feasible to fill the steel pontoons with some sort of material to kill the giant reverberation chamber effect?

With all of the metal running around a big steel drum it seems that a LOT of noise could possibly be knocked out by coating or filling the interior with some sort of waterproof foam (since there will undoubtedly be water finding it's way in somehow). Or some other lightweight material.

Thoughts?

undy

With all of the metal running around a big steel drum it seems that a LOT of noise could possibly be knocked out by coating or filling the interior with some sort of waterproof foam (since there will undoubtedly be water finding it's way in somehow). Or some other lightweight material. Thoughts?

What about "rhino" lining, such as in a truck bed? It claims to reduce noise from vibrations and impacts. Plus corrosion resistance.

http://www.rhinolinings-inlandemp.com/Picking_Your_Rhino.php

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I suppose that could work as well since the weight would probably be pretty close.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
From my experience with the fiberglass they end up packed with snow around the drum and tops under the track. Unless it is real cold powder which should dampen the sound anyway. Biggest issue would probably be frozen snow ice ground without soft dampening snow.

The tracks are loud running don't know if it would help much?.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I would think lizard skin would be the coating you want as its purpose is to control sound. there are several different formulas made depending on if you want underbody protection interior or heat control.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I did a double take when I saw the oil lamp heating device in the drawing, has anyone seen any photos of this early style pontoon with a access door?

Here is a photo of an "early" pontoon. Note the track adjusters on both ends. This is before the development of the flanged roller. The smudge pot pontoon heaters are on back order.

The only time I notice the pontoon noise is when the sprocket cavity is not filled up with snow. In this area, that lasts for about 20 feet of travel.
For you who run on boiler plate all the time, I guess that would be a different problem. When we get a very deep snow, the pontoons are submerged and I doubt that they are making much noise. I don't notice the difference, but then I got my ear drums shot off in the war. I suggest working on interior cab acoustics before worrying about the pontoons.

Attachments

• DSCN2267.jpg
    DSCN2267.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 591

jask

I would guess the smudge pots would not see much use in these pontoons.... too many bolts.... both of the pics above look much more accessible and more importantly the first image shows some consideration for air supply.
I would think that a good closed cell spray foam might dampen the noise without leaving the foam susceptible to water absorption. There are DIY spray foam insulation kits available through home improvement stores for 2-3 hundred dollars.

Wow - Thanks for sharing more of these great photos and diagrams guys!!!

Can't wait for winter to get here in central Colorado - been an extended "indian summer" - dry and warm.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is a pic in the bar at Wildcat. In the back is tuckermans ravine mt Washington . Made some early turns at the cat today. Winter is here in New England

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 569

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think the reason for the wood slats on the roller was to imitate what we used to do to pack snow before there were machines to do it. Everyone who showed up for the rope tow had to side step up and down the ski hill to smash the snow. Running that roller would make the hill look like it had been stepped by skiers.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have the same that is all cement and used for pushing the rocks down after plowing. kind of looks like they could use it.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
trans oregon expedition, in our shop for preservation and bringing it back to full operational condition.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 548
  • DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 567
  • DSC_0035.jpg
    DSC_0035.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 564
  • DSC_0041.jpg
    DSC_0041.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 563
  • DSC_0046.JPG
    DSC_0046.JPG
    390.2 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We have been working with the factory to do this preservation together. Tucker Sno-Cat Corp. is very busy building new machines which they do very well and have been for the last 75 years. They rebuilt all the axles, transmission, transfer case, and associated running gear. Glacierparkbus and I will work on preserving the exterior and interior as close as possible to what it would look like when it returned from Antarctica.

akimp

I have not seen this one yet. There is a nice selection of groomer attachments next to a tucker.

Attachments

• tucker photo.jpeg
    tucker photo.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 511

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That Looks like Cranmore in Conway nh with the ski mobiles in the back. Think there was only one other skimobile build on the East coast a different ski area. I have skimobile number 7 off the line in my basement here. Will be shedding the slopes there today. Nice find

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Now that's a cool piece of history to have in the hut! Even if it is a short stay!