• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Renting verus home ownership for older folks

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Unfortunately, in our country, not one single person here actually "owns" ANY land. At best, you have paid for all of the improvements you have made to the government's land on which you reside. Don't believe me? Quit paying rent, a.k.a. property tax, to the government for a bit and see exactly what you "own".

I suppose the question here is whether you choose to "rent" from a landlord where you have some ability to negotiate rent increases or if you "rent" your home from the government who will automatically raise your rent each year or each time you make additional improvements to their property on which you live and you have absolutely ZERO recourse.

Of course, there is always the problem if you rent from a landlord that they may not pay their rent to the government which, regardless of how promptly you have paid your rent, leaves you out on the street. BTW, if you do rent from a landlord, you pay additional amounts each month because the government charges your landlord considerably more rent for his rental properties because they are not reduced by any 'homestead' deduction since you do not live at his primary residence.

Personally, taking all of that into consideration, I choose to live where I only pay the government their rent for the property on which I live. I don't like it, but I know of no way for me to actually own any property in our country as an individual since I'm unaware of anyplace in our country that doesn't have a property tax; inherently nullifying any possible claim of land ownership. I wish the freaking government would give me some figure I could pay and actually own the land on which all of my paid for improvements sit. Oh well, to dream of such likely makes one a candidate for the nut house...

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll buy you one to help clear the cobwebs .

One person or family bringing down home values for everyone around them ???? Yes, it can be done before you know what happens . I don't care how many HOA you are in charge of, . This guy overrides everything you can do and he has done it and still is doing it . In fact his reach is a little more than you realize .

I rest my case :

I never said I won at the HOA, Just that I wasn't a neophyte about your problem. I had to deal with it constantly for 15 years. From 3 bedroom ranches on a postage stamp lot to million dollar homes with acreage,, Strip malls, three schools and three churches.....A lake a parkand a pool, we have it all. And all the issues of ass-holes living together.

If the guy ruining your oproperty is Barry, Why didn't you say so in the first place. Ya get no argument from me there.

When you buy me that drink we'll share horror stories.

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Unfortunately, in our country, not one single person here actually "owns" ANY land. At best, you have paid for all of the improvements you have made to the government's land on which you reside. Don't believe me? Quit paying rent, a.k.a. property tax, to the government for a bit and see exactly what you "own".

I suppose the question here is whether you choose to "rent" from a landlord where you have some ability to negotiate rent increases or if you "rent" your home from the government who will automatically raise your rent each year or each time you make additional improvements to their property on which you live and you have absolutely ZERO recourse.

Of course, there is always the problem if you rent from a landlord that they may not pay their rent to the government which, regardless of how promptly you have paid your rent, leaves you out on the street. BTW, if you do rent from a landlord, you pay additional amounts each month because the government charges your landlord considerably more rent for his rental properties because they are not reduced by any 'homestead' deduction since you do not live at his primary residence.

Personally, taking all of that into consideration, I choose to live where I only pay the government their rent for the property on which I live. I don't like it, but I know of no way for me to actually own any property in our country as an individual since I'm unaware of anyplace in our country that doesn't have a property tax; inherently nullifying any possible claim of land ownership. I wish the freaking government would give me some figure I could pay and actually own the land on which all of my paid for improvements sit. Oh well, to dream of such likely makes one a candidate for the nut house...

I enjoy your perspective on the subject. Basicaly we "own" our land simply by reason that the government let's us claim that as such. Actually, the Constitution says different. The "pursuit of happiness" is meant to mean the ablity to aquire and own property. At least that is what Madison meant by it.

Our government has repurposed the word "regulate," a power it actually has, to a new definition,,,,,"control." Thus, it has aquired new more expansive powers over our lives. And this authority continues to expand. "For the better good." we are told.

Not exactly what the Foundes had in mind.

The landed used to own property at the pleasure of his majesty. With all the Fiat "regulations" now in place, and with the sure promise of more to come, I would suggest things are not much different in the colonies now than in 1775.

Last edited: