• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

windrowers/ swathers

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Has anyone dug into what Hesson etc. used for their swathers? I'm seeing a bunch of older machines in the almost free ads. They used a brake or clutch- brake system for the driver axle with trailing back tires. Is it one of those we see in old snow cats? Possible parts source? IDK.

just throwing it out for ideas...

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
The Hestons we had were hydraulic drive. with a drive motor and chain reduction at each side.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I think the ones I'm seeing are older than that. The large levers in the open say some pull is required. If I had the room I would drag one to the shop and find out, but right now neither room nor time.

Heck, I don't even have time to check spelling: Left out T in Hesston.

olympicorange

Has anyone dug into what Hesson etc. used for their swathers? I'm seeing a bunch of older machines in the almost free ads. They used a brake or clutch- brake system for the driver axle with trailing back tires. Is it one of those we see in old snow cats? Possible parts source? IDK.

…. a possibility of cheap is perhaps the parts support...after a certain number of years ...the mfg. ( which I believe now is AGCO) … stops making all parts for a certain model. the options then go to used , either from a salvage yard in the Midwest, ..or buy another complete machine to scavenge parts off of . john deere had a few models , in the late 60's, early 70's, that looked similar. it ran on a dual set-up , of mechanical clutch/pressure plates/ brake bands, etc . for propulsion and steering.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was thinking that Versatile in Canada made a swather that was steered by a variable belt drive system. Later I will call a man I know who had one. My memory is not quite able to put a name on that machine....

Regards, Kirk

Beartooth

The older IH swather- windrower had a variator drive and steer mechanism. Late 60’s into 70 all migrated to a hydraulic pump for drive and steer.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Mostly sounds like: Not. I was thinking how many short run items used existing components. Swathers and snow cats are about as short run as it seems to get.