• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Oberlin College hit with maximum PUNITIVE DAMAGES (capped at $22 million by law)

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Has anyone been following the Oberlin College case? SJWs running amok aided by the College Administration?

Legal Insurrection has provided extensive coverage :thumb:

Oberlin College hit with maximum PUNITIVE DAMAGES (capped at $22 million by law) in Gibson’s Bakery case
Posted by William A. Jacobson Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 3:23pm

https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/...-at-22-million-by-law-in-gibsons-bakery-case/

Added to $11 million compensatory damages, brings total to $33 million

Daniel McGraw, our reporter in the courtroom, reports that in addition to the $11.2 million compensatory damages awarded last Friday, the jury awarded a total of $33 million in punitive damages, which will probably be reduced by the court to $22 million because of the state law cap at twice compensatory (it’s not an absolute cap, but probably will apply here). That brings the total damages to $33 million. We will have the breakdown soon. The jury also awarded attorney’s fees, to be determined by the judge.

The breakdown was:

David Gibson – $17.5 million punitive damages

Allyn W. Gibson — $8.75 million punitive damages

Gibson Bros. Inc. (the Bakery) – $6,973,500 punitive damages

MORE TO FOLLOW

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I love this but I worry about it too.

As Oberlein is known as a super-liberal, pro-activist, and private, university I think this is great. Smack them down for creating a campus culture and supporting students that create harm to others.

What worries me is that many liberal colleges are PUBLIC UNIVERSITIES and it will be OUR taxpayer dollars that fund awards if suits are brought against public universities. At public universities the law should require that the ADMINISTRATORS and PROFESSORS who engage in this type of activity pay the penalties.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Liberalism is the reverse Midas Touch. Everything it touches turns to shit.

I would say it this case, WOKE = BROKE. :yum::yum::yum:

Of course now, the school is pleading poverty. Time for them, then, to start selling off assets to pay the debts.