• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Track rebuild-Kristi kt3.

rogerscamp

At the risk of incurring the scorn and ridicule of BigAl's detractors I recently purchased a Kristi kt #107. It runs fine-has a few oil leaks-but needs to have the tracks rebuilt. Seems like Capitol Rubber is closest to us [Central Ca.] . I need specs. for the belt. Is 3-ply the best thickness ?Going back with the 4 belt system. How wide should the belt be and what spacing between the belts. Approx. how long is each belt ?? I'am inclined to go back with wood cleats-hickory or ash-what is the correct dimension for the long and short one?? Also this has the optional Porsche motor. It has a Rodchester 2-barrel carb on it. Wasn't this engine supposed to have a Zenith ndix ?? I sent an email the Registry but recieved no response. Are they still active. Thanks for any help.. Beck

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
it certainly isn't supposed to have the rottenchester on it I'm no porsch expert but I would expect it to have a solex on it

rogerscamp

Still have the cat. Lack of snow has slowed progress however, its been snowing and we're back on it again. Was able to find belting at an outfit in our county 30 miles away. Tracks are all cut and holes are punched. Growsers are done. Made them out of exotic hardwood used for truck beds.After we assemble the tracks we will be replacing some bushings on the suspension and fixing oil leaks on the engine. Hoping to have it going this winter.

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
Still have the cat. Lack of snow has slowed progress however, its been snowing and we're back on it again. Was able to find belting at an outfit in our county 30 miles away. Tracks are all cut and holes are punched. Growsers are done. Made them out of exotic hardwood used for truck beds.After we assemble the tracks we will be replacing some bushings on the suspension and fixing oil leaks on the engine. Hoping to have it going this winter.

If you get a chance post some photos of the clam shell chain boxes that are in front on both sides. I would like to see them.

rogerscamp

Here are pictures of the clam shells

Attachments

• shop 007.jpg
    shop 007.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 383
  • shop 008.jpg
    shop 008.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 386

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
maybe I could get Bobcat to donate a spare tub so we could make a hot tub in Big Als honor to be used at the snow cat jamboree. now joking aside my hat's off to you all who take on a project as rare as a Kristi to bring it back to life keep up the good work

rogerscamp

Here is pictures of the belting ready to go and the suspension

Attachments

• shop 003.jpg
    shop 003.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 389
  • shop 004.jpg
    shop 004.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 382

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
you need to look at the grousers al built.
maybe marco will post a picture.

rogerscamp

A picture of our grousers. Original [wood] but made of hardwood used in truck beds . I might add the original hickory were still on it and half of them were ok

Attachments

• shop 005.jpg
    shop 005.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 348

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Allen had a good idea to make them last for years but in support of wood, Jim you are old enough to remember saw dust tires. they don't add hdpe to tires to enhance traction.

Kristi Kt-4

Very nice wood grousers.... Can I ask where you got them from? I need to make a new set of tracks for my Kt-3 since I took them off and used them for the Kt-4. I have plenty of belting that needs to be cut but I was procrastinating since other cats were easier fixes lol. Where are you located?

A picture of our grousers. Original [wood] but made of hardwood used in truck beds . I might add the original hickory were still on it and half of them were ok

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
is a good idea if you have access to it the purple heart wood used on rail car beds have a service life and has to be changed on a regular basis. I had an uncle who worked for b/n he picked it up for free and used it for fire wood I remember trying to drive 16 penny nails through it to block a car on a trailer I would bend the nails I found it best to drill it first. 2 plusses it is free and should last for ever.

rogerscamp

We live in central California. The belting came from California Industrial Rubber in Tulare Ca. A friend got us the wood for the grousers in Paso Robles and cut and drilled them for us. The wood is Apitone I believe.

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Great start on the tracks you'll enjoy building them when there done lots of drilling.

rogerscamp

No drilling on belts. The belting people supplied us with a hollow punch. We made a jig and one or two wacks with a hammer and you have a perfect hole. The only way to go.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I cut some belting Boggie got me for my Hus ski by hand. Sucked. Might be worth having someone else cut it for you if possible or a better setup than razor blades.

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
I need photos or drawings of the pivot mechanism at the clam shell. I am having trouble getting the front clam shells to lower

rogerscamp

Here is a picture of the mechanism that operates the clam shells. Each side-front and rear-have a hydraulic ram that operates it. There is a drawing of the system on this website in the link to the kt-3 operator's manual.

Attachments

• Robert 006.jpg
    Robert 006.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 118