• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Work Schedule

BoneheadNW

I am temporarily working a different shift and was wondering what type of schedule you all work and what you think about it. For the next 3 months, I am working 8-5 M-F instead of the 24 hours on, 24 off, and so on. The pros of my new schedule:
  • Dinner with my family every night
  • Sleep in my own bed
  • I can work out every morning
  • I can sleep though the night without having to go on calls
  • I have weedends free
Cons:
  • My days are busier
  • No dinner at the station (some of those guys can really cook!
  • Errands have to wait until the weekend (unless I can drag myself to do them after I get home
  • Less time to play with the kids
So what do you think of your work schedule?
Bone

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I went to the office from 2pm to 6pm yesterday. Last week I went in one day from about 9am to about noon, but I don't remember which day that was. I'm thinking of going in for a couple hours this afternoon, but may wait until tomorrow. I do communicate with the office via email. Occasionally a phone call. Next Friday I will be leaving for vacation, gone for 10 days. I think they will miss me. . . but then I think too much sometimes.

BoneheadNW

Bob, what is your commute like? Do you work out of your house sometimes? Did you mentions once that you have a bed at work?
Bone

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 17 mile commute to the office, early in the morning that takes about 22 minutes. During "drive time" it can take 40 minutes.

I did have a bed at work, it was one of those fancy air mattresses, kept it there for snowstorms. But that was before I got 3 4x4 vehicles. So even in the worst storms I can make it home.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I work from home now so I have lots of flexibility. Unfortunately, I also have to watch the kids a lot even when it is my "work days". (i.e. "I'm going to the store can you watch the kids -they're taking a nap." - 5 minutes later the screams start).

I kind of miss those days "in the office". But I don't miss the commute.

It's nice to be able to go for a walk and clear my head. Work Clothes = old tshirt and shorts.

I can't complain - I've got it good at the moment.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
With rare exception, I too work from home (and love it).

I start work at around 7:00 and normally put in about 8-9 hours. I'm then free at 3-4:00. That gives me a couple hours to do chores or whatever before the family gets home.

When school is in session, this same schedule applies but I watch my daughter when she gets out of school.

beds

I'm not disciplined enough to work from home. Tried it and always was too distracted unless it was crunch time. I'm a 20 minute walk from work now, which is a nice way to start/end the day.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As long as I get 40 hours a week and make my goals, I can come and go as I please, it's a good gig.......:D . The schedule I try to stick to is a staggered 4 - 10 hour days, meaning every other weekend is 4 days off together. Being in electric generation that is 24-7 most of my career, I've worked them all. If I had to go back on dogs the 2-3-2 12 hour schedule would be my pick. Rotating 8's (7 on, 2 off, 7 on, 2 off) just plain suck! The Dupont 12 is OK cause you get a week off in a row each month but you pay for it. You have to do a 4 day night weekend, 6 out of 7 day run and weekends are back to back, meaning weekends off and weekends on are back to back NOT every other!

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I don't think I could work from home. I would spend too much time goofin off and not accomplishing a thing. Probably spend more on here than I should and you guys would not like that:hide:

Gatorboy

I leave the house at 5:10a to get to work at 6a. I leave about 2:45p and get home around 3:45p.

Then my side-business as a sports photographer usually occupies the rest of my afternoon/evening.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I spent more time chatting and not working when I was in the office than when I work from home. I have less distractions at home. It probably helps that I'm too far from any conveniences to do anything.

Most days I'm done by 3:00 so I can do some chores. Kind of like BC.

I can't wait for the kids to go to school: "FREEDOM"!

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
I went to the office from 2pm to 6pm yesterday. Last week I went in one day from about 9am to about noon, but I don't remember which day that was. I'm thinking of going in for a couple hours this afternoon, but may wait until tomorrow. I do communicate with the office via email. Occasionally a phone call. Next Friday I will be leaving for vacation, gone for 10 days. I think they will miss me. . . but then I think too much sometimes.

You must have a great management team and staff to allow this work schedule. When I owned a similar type service business, I usually worked from 7am to about 6pm daily and 1/2 or more day on Saturday. I had a decent management team in place along with family members working in the business, but as the leader (owner), I felt obligated to be there to lead.

Do they pay you to stay away?????:yum:

Since I have (or) I am in the process of selling the business to my old management team they now pay me to stay away which is great. I do go into the office for a couple hours twice monthly to consult and look the financial info over to confirm they are complying with the sales agreement. My work schedule at home (about 6 to 8 hours daily) is still based around doing something constructive to improve our financial basis. Working from home on either our property, snow cats or property investments still provides the challenge and flexibility to keep me motivated in life.