• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

C-4 Oil for 1404?

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
What's the best performing oil to run in the C-4 differential? The manual says SAE 50 Heavy Duty (above 0 degrees F), or if that's not available to use SAE 90 straight mineral gear lube. I've seen some other posts on here that suggest the Shell Aero Mineral Oil.

What do you guys think is the best?

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
I use the Cat TD-4. and would not go to anything else. It works extremely well.

Thanks Beartooth. My local Cat store has what they call TDTO (Transmission Drive Train Oil) in a TO-4 50-weight. Do you think that's the same as what you are using?

I used the John Deere Hy-Gard with good results. It was a lot less$$$$ at the time than some of the other lubes of the same quality and was easy for me to find.

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I use straight 50 wt aircraft oil in my 1402. Shell 50 wt Spirax is another option. Regardles of what you use, make sure it is GL1 spec. GL1 does not have any sulfur/phosphorus compounds which will corrode the copper/brass bearings and bushings in the C-4 transaxle. If the oil stinks like sulfur, don't use it.

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
That will work. You should be able to get it at any airport that services light aircraft.