• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Military Service

D

darroll

Nam 1968-1972. In and out of country. 261 Sig Co. 1st Sig. Brigade.

1st Signal Brigade installs, operates, and maintains (IOM) command, control, communications, computers, and information (C41) systems, in theater, in support of joint, combined and Army operations during armistice. On order, 1st Signal Brigade transitions to war to IOM C41 systems in support of reception, staging, onward movement and integration (RSOI) operations and execution of the CINCs theater campaign plans. On order, receives CONUS augmentation forces and becomes OPCON to 311th Theater Signal Command (TSC).
Through years of growth, downsizing, restructuring of units, 1st Signal Brigade continues to accomplish its original mission: to originate, install, operate and maintain a complex tactical, strategic communication system. Since its inception in 1966, 1st Signal Brigade has provided vital communications support to allied forces throughout the Asian continent. Whether in the midst of combat or peacetime conditions, the brigade has maintained the electronic "nerve system" of the U.S. Army defense effort. The soldiers of 1st Signal Brigade work from the DMZ to the sea. Their efforts on the Republic of Korea peninsula keeps subscribers -- to include the Commander in Chief of Korea -- talking on and off the Pacific theater. They keep the CINC in direct contact with the White house if need be. These soldiers operate equipment on air, land and sea. The CINC Hawk team keeps communications going while the CINC is flying, and a member of the brigade often works on board the USS Blueridge off the Southern coast.
The 1st Signal Brigade was activated on April 1, 1966, in the Republic of Vietnam. Its mission was one of the most complicated ever given to any signal unit in the history of warfare: to originate, install, operate, and maintain an incredible, complex communication system that fused tactical and strategic communications in Southeast Asia into a single, unified command. The creation of the brigade brought together three signal groups already in Southeast Asia along with other units into a single unified command, except those organic to field forces and divisions.
The mission in Southeast Asia meant providing communications to forces scattered over more than 60,000 square miles of torrid jungle, mountain ranges and coastal lowland - much of which was under-populated and enemy-infested. One of the innovations that circumvented the difficult terrain and enemy situation was the introduction of an extensive, tropospheric scatter radio relay system, which provides numerous communications channels over distances of several hundred miles between sites. Other firsts include, first use of satellite communications in a combat zone and first use of automatic, digital message and data switches.
At its peak, the brigade had more than 21,000 soldiers, with six signal groups, 22 signal battalions, and a large number of specialized communications agencies. This made it, at that time, the largest single brigade in the U.S. Army.

Attachments

• 1st Signal Brigade.doc
    41 KB · Views: 147
D

darroll

Attachments

• phu-Bai.jpg
    phu-Bai.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 208

loboloco

US Army. 1980-2001.
Every godforsaken and unfriendly hellhole Uncle Sam could find. And a few where folks were real friendly. Got my second wife out of one of these places.

WVBill

US Navy 1970 - 1991

AOCS & Naval Flight Officer training, Pensacola Fl '70 - '71
VAQ-130 Det 2 (EKA-3B) USS Midway, Tonkin Gulf '73
VAQ-131 (EA-6B) USS Ranger, '76
US EUCOM Headquarters, Stuttgart GE '76-79
VAQ-135 (EA-6B) USS Independence, Indian Ocean & Med '80-81
Pacific Missile Test Center, Pt Mugu CA '81-85
CNO OpNav, Pentagon '85 - 91

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
USAF '69-'73
SSGT
MAC HQ
TAC
Incirlik CDI, Andana, Turkey '70-'72

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
VAQ-130 Det 2 (EKA-3B) USS Midway, Tonkin Gulf '73
VAQ-131 (EA-6B) USS Ranger, '76
VAQ-135 (EA-6B) USS Independence, Indian Ocean & Med '80-81
Ahh, the wonderful EA-6B. I used to work on the avionics. You knew you were working on the good stuff when you had a guard at the front door of the avionics trailer.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Well after trying to enlist at 17 yrs old, first in the Marines, then Navy followed by the Army and due to having one eye they wouldn't take me. Now I didn't register for the draft and two treasury agents came to my job and arrested me for not registering. They then took me straight the draft board where a women asked me to explain. I told her that I had tried to enlist at 17 (now 19) and had been turned down. Her next question was why and I told her I had only one eye. At that point she wanted 3 letters from 3 different doctors verifying that fact. I at this point removed my glass eye laying it on her desk and promptly discovered Treasury agents have no sense of humor. Well I complied and was then called 6 times to come down for the same physical though I was now registered 4F. On the 6 visit I was pulled out of the line as they always noticed I had one eye so never made it far. The last time they changed me from 4F to 1Y.

Now I did see combat in the 80's in another capacity, as a civilian contractor. I contracted out for body guard and courier work from late 79 to 84. I traveled through 93 countries including several times to Nicaragua and South Africa both places seeing action and wounded twice in Nicaragua. I have two sons that served, one a Navy Seal the other Army Ranger both served in Gulf War 1 as well as Panama, Grenada and god knows where the seal saw action. Both are now out of the service and doing well. I also have a grandson that just was discharged from the Army. He served as an MP in Iraq.

WVBill

Well after trying to enlist at 17 yrs old, first in the Marines, then Navy followed by the Army and due to having one eye they wouldn't take me. Now I didn't register for the draft and two treasury agents came to my job and arrested me for not registering. They then took me straight the draft board where a women asked me to explain. I told her that I had tried to enlist at 17 (now 19) and had been turned down. Her next question was why and I told her I had only one eye. At that point she wanted 3 letters from 3 different doctors verifying that fact. I at this point removed my glass eye laying it on her desk and promptly discovered Treasury agents have no sense of humor. Well I complied and was then called 6 times to come down for the same physical though I was now registered 4F. On the 6 visit I was pulled out of the line as they always noticed I had one eye so never made it far. The last time they changed me from 4F to 1Y.

:yum:
Reminded me of the folk song "Alice's Restaurant" by Arlo Guthrie !!

JenKennings

Occupant; CatBird Seat
SUPER Site Supporter
Service Fleet - 1964 (Tender Duty)

Portsmouth Naval Prison - 1/65 - 6/66 (Bar Brawl in "Jerome's", Boston's "Combat Zone") , an SP died breaking it up - we All paid the price)

Oiler duty - 6/66 - 2/68

Cable Layer (D.E.W. Line) 2 / 68 - 6 / 69

benz9

Canadian Forces Reserves,
21st Armoured Recon Regiment (R de Hull)
1987-2002 retired Warrant Officer.

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I didn't do any hazardous duty like many of the ones who have posted so far. I was stationed in USAREUR Headquarters in Heidelberg, Germany from 1964 - 1967, mainly driving a desk. It was great duty, but sometimes I feel guilty that I had it so easy while many of you did not.

Bob

Attachments

• Image-253b.jpg
    Image-253b.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 145

mak2

Yea, we kept the sword sharp.

I went to work the day after the barracks were bombed in Lebanon. My reinlistemnt contract sat on the corner of my CO's desk until he determined we were not going to war. Had he called me I would have re uped, picked up E-5 and stayed for life, or until 2004. Yea, dont feel guilty. The more I learn about that time, the less I like about Rayguns.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I didn't do any hazardous duty like many of the ones who have posted so far. I was stationed in USAREUR Headquarters in Heidelberg, Germany from 1964 - 1967, mainly driving a desk. It was great duty, but sometimes I feel guilty that I had it so easy while many of you did not.

Bob

Some fought with M16's, some with DD-214's and DD-1348's, but ALL served the country to the best of their ability. Whatever your individual duty assignment, I am willing to make a large cash wager that some soldier out there somewhere is truly grateful that you were at that desk, even if he never learned your name, or you his.

Stand Tall!! You served at a time when it was not generally appreciated; be Proud of the fact that you answered the call, instead of running to another country to hide.

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the positive feedback.

Stand Tall!! You served at a time when it was not generally appreciated; be Proud of the fact that you answered the call, instead of running to another country to hide.

Running to another country to avoid the draft was never an option. Thankfully none of my friends felt that way either - I do not know anyone who ran to another country.

Bob