• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New engine for 1959 ST4.

nwerring

Got my hands on a "new" 1600cc vw industrial engine today:smile:
Will find it's way into my other project one of these days... A 1959 ST4 Canvas top version.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 430

nwerring

now to pick up heater box for it.
looks good

I was thinking of dropping the heaterbox.. I have a diesel webasto heater. I figure I could use the hydraulic tank from a SnowMaster for diesel. It's only a one hour drive to my cabin, so the hyd tank should hold enough diesel for a few trips. Another nice thing is the sms start on the webasto:smile: I can start the webasto remotely 15 minutes before arriving to the SnowTrac. Nice warm engine and cabin, ... or a burnt out SnowTrac:biggrin:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I was thinking of dropping the heaterbox.. I have a diesel webasto heater. I figure I could use the hydraulic tank from a SnowMaster for diesel. It's only a one hour drive to my cabin, so the hyd tank should hold enough diesel for a few trips. Another nice thing is the sms start on the webasto:smile: I can start the webasto remotely 15 minutes before arriving to the SnowTrac. Nice warm engine and cabin, ... or a burnt out SnowTrac:biggrin:

that's fine where fuel is cheap at 6 bucks a gallon I will take free heat and wait 3 minutes to wait for heater boxes to warm up.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
that f$%^#n pipeline is like our governors pipe dream gas line it only serves the rail belt every one out in western Alaska gets their fuel by tanker from se Asia by tanker because the topping refineries along the pipeline get so much for their product. one even shut down claiming they couldn't make money.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
it is over taxed that is why they are leaving the usa.
I have the small diesel heater in my passenger cabin on the pistenbully and they work good.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a small ruskie diesel heater for my passenger cabin for the Thiokol it is extremely efficient runs all day on a couple of quarts of diesel much better than the old sw 10530 at the end of the day its hard to beat a good set of vw heater boxes

nwerring

Doing a little engine TLC. 1600cc industrial. Balanseing the crank, flywheel and clutch. Changeing to dualport heads and 1641cc tuned to about 60hp. Should be sweet?

Attachments

• IMG_1300.jpg
    IMG_1300.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 261

nwerring

The EMPI exhaust I am useing is a little narrower than the original. This will (hopefully) make innstalling/removal of the engine a lot easier. No need to remove the internal brakes on the newer model which sometimed get in the way. Some cutting/welding to get the exhaust out to the rear.. and I can still use the original heater boxes.

Attachments

• IMG_4145.jpg
    IMG_4145.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 229

luvthemvws

It's looking good!
I encourage you to alter one of those 2-bolt flanges of the intake to not attach to the exhaust port. Rather, one of them needs to have a tube that exits into a low pressure area of the muffler. This creates a one-way flow of hot exhaust that keeps the intake and carb from frosting up.
If both pipes end at the exhaust port flange the intake will quickly crud up and be a source of tuning nightmares.